Sox sign Dayan Viciedo

chunk23

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is just lowering the expectation for young Viciedo. You have a 19 year old who out of nowhere became a millionare in America. This is just after Viciedo left Alcatraz Cuba. The Sox should move him slowly. The Instructional Leagues are over by now. Right? I wish Viciedo play a few games in the Dominican Republic or Puerto Rico just to get some at bats. You tell him take it easy because we do not want an injury now.

Viciedo Press Conference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kliPAlcR5Ys...feature=related

Viciedo Intro: Music from Orishas, a Hip Hop Cuban trio. One lives in Spain, another in Italy and the other in France. They said bye bye to the Cuba Taliban long time ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNbklDEJFlE

HR

Hit

HR vs the Wasps

In that first home run video, it looks like he got a pitch that he flew open on and jumped all over. Because he got the pitch he wanted, he was just able to crush it. Down and in. The reason he didn't hold his balance there (the part that made it look like a Uribe swing) was the position of the pitch. To pull that down the line with that kind of power you have to be quite a bit out in front of it, and it's going to be hard to hold balance on that.

In the hit and the 2nd home run video, his technique looks a lot better. He stays back on the ball as its coming in, puts a good solid swing on the ball, and there's no Uribe like flailing in those. I'm not sure about his timing mechanism, there is something of a hitch there that could be a little slow (a-la Fields) but it's hard to tell until he faces a legit MLB fastball whether he'll be able to keep up with those and stay back on offspeed stuff at the same time.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 24, 2008 -> 08:28 AM)
Check it out. His pull heavy swing on you tube and low finish with his body looks like Uribe.

I don't mind Uribe's swing.

I just don't like what he swings at.

As Steve Stone likes to say, "If the next pitch is in the ballpark, Uribe will be swinging at it."

The ugliest parts of his game come from his inability to avoid swinging at bad pitches.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 07:47 AM)
I don't mind Uribe's swing.

I just don't like what he swings at.

As Steve Stone likes to say, "If the next pitch is in the ballpark, Uribe will be swinging at it."

The ugliest parts of his game come from his inability to avoid swinging at bad pitches.

There's a reason though why Uribe swings at everything. It's because he can't see the ball on its way in because of the fundamental flaw in his swing. His head has, as far as I can tell, always moved like crazy as his body dives forwards during the swing. Compare that to a real good swing (I use Pujols as an example because he has one of the most mechanically sound swings I've ever watched)...the guys who do it right, their head might drift to the side by a centimeter as their weight shifts. Uribe's head moves like half a meter forwards during his swing. If your head is moving relative to the ball, then that's going to make keeping your eye on the ball that much harder because your eyes are no longer at a fixed point. So it's almost guaranteed that he can't pick up the ball.

Andruw Jones is another prime example. Pre-05, he stood like Uribe, with his legs closer together and dove at the ball. Pendelton got him in 05 to spread his legs out and start shifting his weight with his head not moving, and he went on a 50 home run craze.

Uribe is going to swing at a ball with his swing because that's all he can do, he can't tell whether it's going to be a strike or a ball because everything moves during his swing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)
There's a reason though why Uribe swings at everything.

Another reason that Uribe swings at everything...

Because players in the DR have it trained into their heads early by coaches that...

"You can't walk off the island."

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 09:43 AM)
Another reason that Uribe swings at everything...

Because players in the DR have it trained into their heads early by coaches that...

"You can't walk off the island."

Tell that to Albert Pujols....

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)
There's a reason though why Uribe swings at everything. It's because he can't see the ball on its way in because of the fundamental flaw in his swing. His head has, as far as I can tell, always moved like crazy as his body dives forwards during the swing.

Nickname: Uribe bubblehead. ;)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
Seriously though, who the hell said this kid was overweight, I have been searching all over the internet for pics and not one of them shows him looking heavy.

You ain't never lyin'. Folks actin' like he's Mo Vaughn and s***. I'm not worried about his weight at all.