ESPN radio reporting Mets/White Sox talks heating up...

Fantl916

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 04:53 PM)
If I understand correctly, this is real life and not MLB 2k7.

Sorry for the asshole comment, but for something like you suggested were to happen, this would be MLB 2k7.

Well he is technically right. If you free up 30 mill, and sign both Furcal/Lowe to 15mm/year deals, it works. But the odds of KW doing that are slim to none i think

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you acquired Pelfrey, would you even need to sign Lowe?

IF the Javvy&Bobby deal for F-Mart and Pelfrey went down, I could see Kenny showing some interest in Pat Burrel or Bobby Abreau for LF, or they could turn around and send some of those prospects for a guy like Ichiro.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 05:40 PM)
Joe Crede is a Boras client. How long was he on the team for?

I think it's two totally different situations. Crede was drafted in the 5th round, groomed and developed by the White Sox (he later hired Scott Boras, he was not his agent during the draft) and eventually given a starting job with the big club and became a key member of the organization, someone not easily replaced. In this case the Sox would be actively seeking out and acquiring one of Boras' most prized young clients, a pitcher for whom Boras landed the largest bonus ever paid to a draft pick by the Mets in 2005 and making him a key member of the organization, something I'm not sure KW and the front office want to go through again after publicly speaking of their frustrations with Boras during the whole Crede situation. It just doesn't feel right to me.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 04:49 PM)
How do you figure? Sox free up $30mil from the books. They sign, say, Frucal and Lowe. So you are looking at Dye, Jenks, Vazquez for Frucal, Lowe, Pelfrey, Heilman and Murphy. Not bad if you ask me.

Because none of those players are salary dumps and the package coming back is too weak to give up that much talent. Combined, Dye, Javy, and Jenks will make about $25-27M next year. That's basically one year of Manny Ramirez on the FA market, or else like Derek Lowe and Brandon Lyon or something.

Besides, if the Sox want to free up a bunch of money to make a run at a free agent or two, then they can just as easily trade all three of these guys in separate deals to get the best package available.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 05:05 PM)
I think it's two totally different situations. Crede was drafted in the 5th round, groomed and developed by the White Sox (he later hired Scott Boras, he was not his agent during the draft) and eventually given a starting job with the big club and became a key member of the organization, someone not easily replaced. In this case the Sox would be actively seeking out and acquiring one of Boras' most prized young clients, a pitcher for whom Boras landed the largest bonus ever paid to a draft pick by the Mets in 2005 and making him a key member of the organization, something I'm not sure KW and the front office want to go through again after publicly speaking of their frustrations with Boras during the whole Crede situation. It just doesn't feel right to me.

The Sox traded for Johnny Danks when he was a Boras client. A lot can change over time, and the Sox would have control of Pelfrey for 5 more seasons I believe.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 05:11 PM)
On the other site, someone posted the Ben Maller was on XM Radio and said that he heard Javy & Jenks were going to the Mets for F.Martinez, Pelfrey, and Murphy.

Man, I really dont want to trade Jenks at all, but that is a pretty decent haul.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 06:09 PM)
The Sox traded for Johnny Danks when he was a Boras client. A lot can change over time, and the Sox would have control of Pelfrey for 5 more seasons I believe.

Yes, 5 more years, 2 more until arbitration and Boras rears his ugly head. I don't think Danks was nearly as attached to Boras as Pelfrey is but whatever, you're right anything can happen.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 05:17 PM)
Part of me thinks Williams has a standing deal in place with the Rockies to acquire Street, but obviously wants to make sure Jenks is actually dealt before making the move.

Ugh, I hope not, unless it's for nothing like Broadway... I'd rather see us sign Brandon Llyon then see us give up anything worth while for Street.

Part of me thinks Williams has a standing deal in place with the Rockies to acquire Street, but obviously wants to make sure Jenks is actually dealt before making the move.

I am betting this is actually just a leaked rumor to drive up a possible desperation deal for Jenks or javy that someone had initially backed off of. I dont see this deal coming to fruition at all.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 05:21 PM)
Why? Street had a better season pretty much across the board, and is 4 years younger.

Street also wouldn't necessarily be brought in to close.

He's easily the most overrated relief pitcher in baseball. He doesn't have anything and gets by on location and his jerky windup/delivery.

It was maddening watching him completely baffle our hitters by throwing dinky breaking balls low and away. Of coure all our hitters were going for the 5 run home run with no one on to win the game, and whiffed, looking like little leaguers.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 05:22 PM)
You could be absolutely correct.

Street has just been linked to the Sox for a while now, and looks to be on the block....

There is definately some office activity going on internal to the Sox, but my gut tells me its not this deal.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 06:11 PM)
On the other site, someone posted the Ben Maller was on XM Radio and said that he heard Javy & Jenks were going to the Mets for F.Martinez, Pelfrey, and Murphy.

Man, that's the stuff right there. For the past 2 years I've described any potential package for Jenks as having to be a "King's ransom" and that deal is pretty damn close.

Very interesting. Jenks will have to be replaced somehow. I worry about ex-Oakland closers. Billy Koch, Zito, and Mulder make me very weary of ex-A's. Very realistic possibility Tony.

Edited by 103 mph screwball

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 05:26 PM)
He's easily the most overrated relief pitcher in baseball. He doesn't have anything and gets by on location and his jerky windup/delivery.

It was maddening watching him completely baffle our hitters by throwing dinky breaking balls low and away. Of coure all our hitters were going for the 5 run home run with no one on to win the game, and whiffed, looking like little leaguers.

To be fair, Street's approach is successful because he works against hitters like ours. He nibbles the outside corner constantly, making you go the other way, and instead you dive out on a breaking ball and dribble it to the 2B. I really dont know how effective that is against teams like KC and Min who want to do that anyway, but he has had success against every team in our division

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 04:41 PM)
:lolhitting

I'd do Heilman, Murphy, and Pelfrey for Vazquez and Jenks, but not for Dye, Jenks, and Vazquez. NO NO NO

Yeah. I don't know why I included Dye in there. I'm posting on two different boards on this topic and I'm also reading the Dye for Edwin Jackson rumors and I'm getting all mixed up. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 04:34 PM)
If the Sox could get back Martinez, Pelfrey, and Murphy for Jenks and Javy I'd be very happy with that deal.

I doubt the Sox could pull that off, but what I meant to suggest on a previous post was they could probably get Pelfrey, Murphy and Heilman for Jenks and Vazquez. (I had a brain cramp and also unintentionally included Dye in my original post.)

Many posters on another site even think KW would be getting raped on that deal. I think it would be reasonably balanced although I'm not too keen on trading away Jenks.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
If we could get Murphy, Pelfry, and Martinez for Jenks and Vazquez, as well as Edwin Jackson and another piece or two for Dye, as well as one big free agent signing, I'd consider this to be one hell of a successful offseason.

Edwin Jackson sucks. I'd want somebody besides him for Dye.

Fernando Martinez must have some unbelievable tools. Either that or the best damn agent in the world.

He's a 6'1" 190 pound 19-year old who played in AA this year... here's his 2008 stat line:

352 at-bats... .287 BA, .340 OBP, .772 OPS, 19 doubles, 4 triples, 8 homeruns... 73 strikeouts, 27 walks, and a whopping 6 stolen bases.

OK... unfair to use only one years numbers... let's go back a year to 2007.... also in AA...

236 at-bats... .271 BA, .336 OBP, .713 OPS, 11 doubles, 1 triple, 4 homeruns... 51 Ks, 20 walks, and 3 stolen bases.

Soooooooo.... Somebody explain the excitement to me. Please.

Yeah, he's playing ahead of his age... but based on his production, maybe he shouldn't be.

Anyway, what is his claim to fame? Power? Speed? Plate discipline? Right now the numbers suggest none of the above. And 6'1" 190 pounds does not suggest a huge amount of projection based on his filling out. Does it? (If those height and weight numbers are correct, he is pretty 'filled out' already.)

I'm willing to be sold, but anyone suggesting that we send Javy and Jenks to NY because we're supposed to get this guy back as the centerpiece of the deal better have a reaaallly good explanation how he makes us a better team in 2009... if ever.

Edited by scenario