ESPN radio reporting Mets/White Sox talks heating up...

Fantl916

i figured this should be posted, and am surprised nobody has mentioned it yet.

This wouldn't necessarily be the finished deal, but the main names are those listed... this would give us maybe the highest rated CF prospect in the game outside Colby Rasmus, and another stud young pitcher to go with Danks/Floyd. Also, this trade would save us about $15 million to put towards something really big...

if this trade was made we'd have some $20mil in spare change from this trade and the swisher trade to put towards free agency or a big gun in a trade...

im curious to see how badly everyone reacts to this...

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, this is good cause it was being talked about in another thread.

An initial rumor reported Heilman and Pelfrey being part of the deal. Did ESPN later revise this to mention Pelfrey and Martinez? I could live with a package centered around those two, but obviously the Sox have to be getting something else in return. Could Murphy be the 3rd piece? Would anyone be interested in that type of haul. The Mets would clearly be getting the best talent in the current stand-point, however, the Sox would shed payroll (hopefully for another move) as well as land 3 long-term pieces, one of which who has the chance to be a potential superstar (Martinez).

From what I've heard about Martinez, he isn't a future CF, but either a future RF or 1B, as his body develops.

If we trade Jenks AND Vazquez, I want Beltran in return. I think Martinez is still much too big of a question mark for us to dealing to solid pieces of our pitching for. And Pelfry's overrated. He's a solid pitcher, but he isn't a stud some thought he will be (unless he develops another pitch).

Edited by BearSox

Okay if we can only give up Jenks and Vazquez for Martinez and Pelfrey, I would do that in a heartbeat. Martinez is a f***ing stud and Pelfrey has a bright future. I'd maybe want another piece, but why would the Mets do this? But...it's probably both guys for either Martinez or Pelfrey. I'm not sure- I still may consider that.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
Ya, this is good cause it was being talked about in another thread.

An initial rumor reported Heilman and Pelfrey being part of the deal. Did ESPN later revise this to mention Pelfrey and Martinez? I could live with a package centered around those two, but obviously the Sox have to be getting something else in return. Could Murphy be the 3rd piece? Would anyone be interested in that type of haul. The Mets would clearly be getting the best talent in the current stand-point, however, the Sox would shed payroll (hopefully for another move) as well as land 3 long-term pieces, one of which who has the chance to be a potential superstar (Martinez).

I'd love to get Murphy in any deal with the Mets. The guy is a ball player, and we know we need more guys who are that.

just my quick two cents...

if we trade Jenks and Javy for Pelfrey, D. Murphy, and F. Martinez i'm going to carve a KW statue myself.

I dont care how much you love the current production of Javy and Jenks... Closers are replaceable and Javy is a mess in high pressure... Pelfrey can be a legit top of the rotation/Derek Low type, Daniel Murphy can be a huge addition because he's the IDEAL #2 hitter, and we can play him at 2b/3b/LF which gives us versatility that Ozzie loves, and F. Mart - no matter what you think of the guy - has superstar potential and is only 19... this would be a huge haul for Kenny. ABSOLUTELY HUGE... not to mention the cost savings...

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 01:35 PM)
Okay if we can only give up Jenks and Vazquez for Martinez and Pelfrey, I would do that in a heartbeat. Martinez is a f***ing stud and Pelfrey has a bright future. I'd maybe want another piece, but why would the Mets do this? But...it's probably both guys for either Martinez or Pelfrey. I'm not sure- I still may consider that.

Martinez is similar to what Felix Pie was a few years back though so I would not be happy with just those two, but those could be the cornerstones. Martinez has a ton of talent but a lot of his value is still based upon projections as he's yet to even come close to backing that up in the minors (albeit he's consistently been young for his level and has still put up solid stats). So ultimately Martinez is still a very "risky" prospect in the sense that I'd be hard pressed to guarantee success.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 04:43 PM)
Martinez is similar to what Felix Pie was a few years back though so I would not be happy with just those two, but those could be the cornerstones. Martinez has a ton of talent but a lot of his value is still based upon projections as he's yet to even come close to backing that up in the minors (albeit he's consistently been young for his level and has still put up solid stats). So ultimately Martinez is still a very "risky" prospect in the sense that I'd be hard pressed to guarantee success.

It seems most Mets phenom OFs don't become the stars they were supposed to be.

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 04:39 PM)
just my quick two cents...

if we trade Jenks and Javy for Pelfrey, D. Murphy, and F. Martinez i'm going to carve a KW statue myself.

I dont care how much you love the current production of Javy and Jenks... Closers are replaceable and Javy is a mess in high pressure... Pelfrey can be a legit top of the rotation/Derek Low type, Daniel Murphy can be a huge addition because he's the IDEAL #2 hitter, and we can play him at 2b/3b/LF which gives us versatility that Ozzie loves, and F. Mart - no matter what you think of the guy - has superstar potential and is only 19... this would be a huge haul for Kenny. ABSOLUTELY HUGE... not to mention the cost savings...

Yep I'd be downright giddy if we could pull that one off.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 01:35 PM)

On a sidenote, giving up just one of Pelfrey or Martinez for Jenks and Javy would be highway f***ing robbery by the Mets. Theyd' be robbing the Sox blindly.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
In fact, Lastings Milledge is another potential comparison you could make.

I wouldn't agree with Martinez as being comparable to either Pie or Milledge. Milledge BTW had a pretty nice year for himself. Last year he hit .268/.330/.402 with 14 HR (his highest pro total since A ball in 2004), 29 SB (highest pro total), with a pretty respectable 38 BB to 96 K for a premium position. As a 23-year-old making the jump to the Majors I think he did great.

Mets fans opinions:

That would be one of the worst trades ever. I closer, which there are about twice as many on the market as there are teams looking for them, and an aging RF. Not to mention the Mets give up our best hitting prospect, and our number two pitcher who would pretty much be the ace on the White sox Staff.

Maybe if it were Vazquez, Jenks, and Quentin ... that might be slightly fair at that point. I still wouldn't do that one too though.

Now your talking, if we can get Quentin, Jenks and Vazquez that changes things. Quentin is only 26 and would give us the right hand power bat we need. If we can pute Maine in place of Pelfrey and go with FMart, Maine, Kunz, Murphy and Evans for Quentin, Jenks and Vazquez that's a great deal. Sox may ask for Parnell in place of Evans. This deal would give us the young power bat, a young elite closer and a #3 starter.

Ah yes, you wouldnt even do it if we included the AL MVP. Mmm Hmm.

I don't buy this rumor. There is no way the Mets are dealing Mike Pelfrey. He's a young starter with high potential. Vazquez isn't even an upgrade over Pelfrey, he's older, more expensive, and both pitched at least 200 innings this year.

If Mike Pelfrey goes in this deal, and the Sox sign a big name free agent with the money, the White Sox robbed the Mets blind, even if it means dealing Bobby Jenks.

I just don't see Mike Pelfrey as being a realistic option for the Sox. He's one of Scott Boras' most prized clients and has been quite loyal to his agent in the past. Boras can't wait to make Pelfrey some money, starting 2 years from now when he'll first be eligible for arbitration and Boras begins comparing him to Roy Halladay and Brandon Webb.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 05:10 PM)
Mets fans opinions:

Now your talking, if we can get Quentin, Jenks and Vazquez that changes things. Quentin is only 26 and would give us the right hand power bat we need. If we can pute Maine in place of Pelfrey and go with FMart, Maine, Kunz, Murphy and Evans for Quentin, Jenks and Vazquez that's a great deal. Sox may ask for Parnell in place of Evans. This deal would give us the young power bat, a young elite closer and a #3 starter.

Ah yes, you wouldnt even do it if we included the AL MVP. Mmm Hmm.

This is a joke too. Met fans are delusional. I'm not even going to comment on that even further.