Vazquez & Logan Dealt to Braves

Sockin

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:27 PM)
Gilmore was a first round pick in 07 and has put up very good numbers in the minors plus he's supposed to have all the tools necessary of a gold glove 3rd baseman. What isn't to like.

Because that isnt entirely true, he has been a subpar defender so far (sub .900 FPCT). He was graded by Sickels as C+ spect. I think Morton has the higher ceiling.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:42 PM)
No idea, but I've thought for weeks now we're the mysterious team that it's on Furcal. However, we have a huge glaring hole in the starting rotation now.

Yes there is, I think that will be filled via trade although there should be someone else brought in to compete. Also there will be a leadoff spot available, and i think some money will be thrown at that.

Of course with these spects KW has been stock piling, the O's may be interested in moving Roberts for a few of them, although I havent heard anything of the sort.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:42 PM)
No idea, but I've thought for weeks now we're the mysterious team that it's on Furcal. However, we have a huge glaring hole in the starting rotation now.

Homer Bailey anyone?

Rosenthal reporting its Flowers, Lillibridge and 2 low minor leaguers.....so im guessing that means gilmore and rodriguez....I would have liked to have gotten a more ready arm (morton) but its not a deal breaker for me as we have significant cash to address the issues either through FA or even trades yet to come

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:51 PM)
Rosenthal reporting its Flowers, Lillibridge and 2 low minor leaguers.....so im guessing that means gilmore and rodriguez....I would have liked to have gotten a more ready arm (morton) but its not a deal breaker for me as we have significant cash to address the issues either through FA or even trades yet to come

Still a good deal I think.

With the Braves' new "mid market" financial mindset and Vazquez's "arguably unreasonable" contract to be a 4th starter...I think we're looking pretty good with this deal.

It was obvious we had to get rid of Swisher and Vazquez, along with Cabrera, Crede and Uribe. Our roster is already 20% different and we're just getting started.

The question is whether we cut deeper and deal Dye and/or Jenks.

In all, I'm surprised that the Braves were willing to give up Flowers for anyone not named Peavy. On the other hand, I'm disappointed that KW views Lillibridge so highly, especially after acquiring Betemit last month. KW really has his work cut out for him, as this team might need a new 2b, 3b, CF, and SP.

If we do make a play for Furcal, that'd obviously mean the official move Alexei to CF, which might not be a bad thing if he picks it up rather easily. I would still love to see us make a move for Dunn, if we do trade Dye. Makes sense considering Thome only has 1 year left on his contract and we'd need a lefty power bat to replace his. However, it'd be kind of counter-productive in our attempt to get more ball players (as in guys who are fundamently sound), speed and less K's. Plus, we'd still need to get ourselves a leadoff hitter. We'd get younger however.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:54 PM)
With the Braves' new "mid market" financial mindset and Vazquez's "arguably unreasonable" contract to be a 4th starter...I think we're looking pretty good with this deal.

It was obvious we had to get rid of Swisher and Vazquez, along with Cabrera, Crede and Uribe. Our roster is already 20% different and we're just getting started.

The question is whether we cut deeper and deal Dye and/or Jenks.

U know whats gonna happen. Vazquez is still gonna be his some old afraid to pitch like a man self, but his #s will look better pitching in the NL and his home park is now one of the most pitcher friendly parks out there. Not to mention he gets all those vaunted NL lineups he will have to face; Pit, Cin, Fla, Was, Sdg, Sfo, Col, Az...yeah u get the picture.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)
Pretty sure Furcal could handle it.

I like it, but Dye would need to be traded for a solid starter. If it could be done, you could have something.....

lol, I kind of jumbled my thoughts there. A lot of going on today. I doubt we'd go and sign both Furcal and Dunn. I was just thinking I would love to get Dunn, but if that were the scenario, Furcal would be unlikely. However, if I want to get my ps3 up and running...

1. Furcal, SS

2. Ramirez, CF

3. Quentin, RF

4. Thome, DH

5. Konerko, 1B

6. Dunn, LF

7. Fields/Betemit, 3B

8. Pierzynski, C

9. Getz/Lillibridge, 2B

That's a nice lookin' lineup right there, if you ask me. The only problem is that your looking at probably at least 250 K's, but likely more, from the 5 and 6 spots together.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:04 PM)
lol, I kind of jumbled my thoughts there. A lot of going on today. I doubt we'd go and sign both Furcal and Dunn. I was just thinking I would love to get Dunn, but if that were the scenario, Furcal would be unlikely. However, if I want to get my ps3 up and running...

1. Furcal, SS

2. Ramirez, CF

3. Quentin, RF

4. Thome, DH

5. Konerko, 1B

6. Dunn, LF

7. Fields/Betemit, 3B

8. Pierzynski, C

9. Getz/Lillibridge, 2B

That's a nice lookin' lineup right there, if you ask me. The only problem is that your looking at probably at least 250 K's, but likely more, from the 5 and 6 spots together.

Or a 2 year deal for Manny Ramirez to play LF and DH occasionally, with Quentin moved to RF in the reported Dye trade.

Can you imagine Manny, Quentin, Thome and Konerko as the middle of the line-up?

Doubt it would happen, but nice to dream. And I wouldn't count out either Nix or Viciedo quite yet.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:06 PM)
well, we mustn't forget that we did sign Viciedo, which is what, about 2 million? If we trade Dye, I'd guess we'd be looking at something between 30-35 million off of the books.

$11 million for 5 years, so $2.2 million theoretically...we haven't really seen the "details" of the official contract, as it has yet to be signed, right?

Speaking of Viciedo, have there been any updates on when he gets cleared to re-enter the US?