Vazquez & Logan Dealt to Braves

Sockin

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:36 PM)
Bobby Abreu is no where near a $16M-$18M player. He's looking at 3 years, $13M and that's probably tops. Problem is he's a joke in the field and isn't exactly what you're looking for in a DH (probably a ~.800 OPS and no speed once 2010 rolls around) especially at 36 years old.

I think he signs for 2 years 18 mil with an option.

Overall, a very lackluster haul, but I am so glad Vazquez is gone so I can't complain too much.

Lillebridge still has some nice potential at a couple positions and offers some power and SPEED. I think he'll be on our team in some capacity next year barring another trade.

The other guys are really low minors prospects and I never get excited over someone in A ball, though the players we did get have some potential and goodness knows our minor leagues needed a shot of that.

The fact Kenny moved that turd earns this move a B- in my book.

I also think Kenny isn't even close to being done...I believe he is going to essentially rebuild this team in one season giving it a new look

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:54 PM)
BTW, Flowers confirmed the deal himself to an ATL writer, pending physicals.

I am soooo happy about picking him up, I can't stand it.

The guy has offensive stud written all over him.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:55 PM)
Overall, a very lackluster haul, but I am so glad Vazquez is gone so I can't complain too much.

Lillebridge still has some nice potential at a couple positions and offers some power and SPEED. I think he'll be on our team in some capacity next year barring another trade.

The other guys are really low minors prospects and I never get excited over someone in A ball, though the players we did get have some potential and goodness knows our minor leagues needed a shot of that.

The fact Kenny moved that turd earns this move a B- in my book.

I also think Kenny isn't even close to being done...I believe he is going to essentially rebuild this team in one season giving it a new look

Flowers alone makes this a good trade.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:58 PM)
I so wish Flowers was a great CATCHING prospect and not just a 'catcher' that can hit. Anyone in the know think he will actually ever catch in the bigs or is he a 1st baseman type in waiting?

He just finished a season in the Carolina League. That means he'll be in Birmingham (AA) in 2009. So... there's time to work on his defense.

Meanwhile, his offensive skills are really advanced for his age. He literally destroyed pitching in the AFL this fall... an all-star league with most MLB teams' best pitching prospects... and that's a beautiful thing.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)
A big market team going young, I can't argue with that because it lowers payroll and means that this young core will have some front office dollars to back up their holes in a few years.

The only way you really avoid rebuilding is by mixing big free agent spending and a quality minor league system. We spend a lot of money, but aren't really a Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs in that regard and our system is lousy, so the day of rebuilding was inevitable. The good news is, the rebuilding started last year with the emergence of guys like Danks, Floyd, Alexei, and Q. Rebuilding, to me, doesn't mean you blew the whole team up and had to suck a couple years. You can rebuild and compete (for the most part) at the same time as long as you are smart about it.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 10:06 PM)
Was it all a dream, or did we make the playoffs a couple months ago?

We did, and it was a testament to the emergence of our young players and the job our manager must have done, plus the fact our division was poor. This team was FULL of holes, and I commend KW for realizing that and being proactive to try and fix it.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 12:07 AM)
He just finished a season in the Carolina League. That means he'll be in Birmingham (AA) in 2009. So... there's time to work on his defense.

Meanwhile, his offensive skills are really advanced for his age... and that's a beautiful thing.

I do understand that as a hitter he is a top prospect. I saw "C" by his name and I was like "YEAAA" then I read where he's not so good at defense...I know he can certainly develop that and if he turns out to be a catcher who can play good defense and hit a ton then awesome. AJP isn't much at throwing runners out, but he calls a great game and is one of the 'headiest' players playing the sport.

I'd love for Flowers to work a year under AJP, though I don't know if that will ever happen.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:49 PM)
I think he signs for 2 years 18 mil with an option.

That's extremely conservative, especially since he won't cost any draft picks.

OF trade market (as of now):

Dye

Damon or Matsui?

Melky Cabrera

Luke Scott is probably available

Adam Lind possibly if the Jays feel Snider is ready

One of Garko/Gutierrez/Francisco/Choo, etc.

Teahen

DeJesus maybe? For a lot...

Jose Guillen

Delmon Young, again for a lot I'm sure

Michael Cuddyer

Marcus Thames probably, Maggs is said to be off the table

Willy Mo Pena

Jeremy Hermida

Nate McLouth

Fukudome

Ludwick

Ankiel

Andruw Jones

Delwyn Young

Eric Byrnes

Chad Tracy or Connor Jackson?

Taveras

Spilborghs

Brian Giles

OF free agent market:

Dunn

Abreu

Griffey

Rivera

Ibanez

Garret Anderson

some other stuff I can't think of

The bolded guys are probably the best bets for power hitting OF's, but...

Ludwick is a big question mark given his one season of MLB success after being labeled a AAAA player

Ankiel is one year from FA and brings K rate and steriod baggage

Jose Guillen is a roided-up cocksucker

The Indians guys have talent and potential but you've got to be wary of those guys IMO

Cuddyer mostly blows

Damon and Matsui might not be even available and are getting up there in age

Delmon Young and McLouth are going to be very expensive, and Young has never hit for big power (yet)

I could go on, but looking at that list, it appears guys like Dye, Burrell, Dunn, Abreu, and Giles will be in demand because they are proven and either have favorable contracts or won't cost draft picks to sign. Pegging Abreu's contract that low is saying a lot.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 03:58 AM)
I so wish Flowers was a great CATCHING prospect and not just a 'catcher' that can hit. Anyone in the know think he will actually ever catch in the bigs or is he a 1st baseman type in waiting?

He is actually said to be a good catcher in the respect that he calls a good game, blocks balls in the dirt well, and offers a big target to pitchers, but his draw back is his arm. He tails the ball a lot, and I guess has trouble throwing out runners. Could be a big deal at the MLB level for sure. I was just reading though that he is open to this trade, and mentioned partly is because there is a DH in the AL. He seemed open to Dhing, if it means being in the majors. Good sign as far as I'm concerned.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:49 PM)
Homer Bailey anyone?

If this trade pans out

Buehrle

Floyd

Danks

Bailey

Poreda/Richard

will probably the most promising starting rotation since when Buehrle and Garland came up, and people like Dan Wright still seemed like they had potential. I don't care if it's unproven it'll be a blast to watch develop.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (SEALgep @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 12:10 AM)
He is actually said to be a good catcher in the respect that he calls a good game, blocks balls in the dirt well, and offers a big target to pitchers, but his draw back is his arm. He tails the ball a lot, and I guess has trouble throwing out runners. Could be a big deal at the MLB level for sure. I was just reading though that he is open to this trade, and mentioned partly is because there is a DH in the AL. He seemed open to Dhing, if it means being in the majors. Good sign as far as I'm concerned.

Good info SEAL...

One great thing I hear? THe kid will do whatever it takes to get to the show.

The bad? We're already talking DH...for a prospect? I want people who can prevent the other people from scoring runs as well.

It's all good, I like the deal...I am not crying for joy, but am far from upset with this deal.

It's very obvious only Lillebridge has a shot at coming to Chicago for next season and he is the guy I am very happy about getting...a great acqusition and he's going to win a lot of people over, a typical KW move...grab a talented player kinda out of favor with current club. We got Quentin, Thornton, Floyd for a song and dance...they have been awesome (at least so far)...what Lillebridge follow suit. :headbang