Office Coffee Etiquette

lostfan

I'm sure everyone agrees/realizes that when you pour the last of the pot, then you make the next pot ("You kill the joe, make some mo'"). For the most part people follow this rule because if you get caught not doing it, you generally get your ass kicked (exception is when it's close to the end of the workday). However, there are some other things people do that I think are punishable by a punch to the nose. For instance, leaving 1/3 of a cup of coffee is the same thing as leaving it empty.

Anyone else have any rules that should be universal?

Edited by lostfan

I cant stand, nor can I understand when someone turns the warmer off a half pot of coffee like its a done deal when it gets down to a half.

And then the sleep deprived weirdos that think they need to put two full bags of coffee grounds for 1 pot. I can eat it like oatmeal.

I call this the 'f*** the next guy' epidemic.

Not coffee related...but How about the asshole who loads just enough paper into the copier or printer to finish what he/she needs done. You can tell they did this because there is usually a new case of paper with one pack open and like 17 sheets missing from it sitting right next to the machine.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 03:22 AM)
I call this the 'f*** the next guy' epidemic.

Not coffee related...but How about the asshole who loads just enough paper into the copier or printer to finish what he/she needs done. You can tell they did this because there is usually a new case of paper with one pack open and like 17 sheets missing from it sitting right next to the machine.

God I hate that s***. I remember at another office I used to work in, there would be a sign that tells people to put the whole stack of paper in. You shouldn't have to tell people to do that.

The list of things not to do

• Burning anything, especially popcorn, in the microwave
  • No custom blends of coffee. No double bags unless agreed upon by everyone (we did an afternoon two bagger)
  • No discussing off hours partying that involves other co-workers (burn your own ass)
  • No smelly foods in the lunch room. (that means your momma's kielbasa)
  • No bring me back something if you never go yourself
  • No put my name on the card I'm good for the $5 when you ain't ever been
  • No signing the card if you didn't chip in on the gift you cheap bastard
  • Cut the cake so everyone has a piece (Office lol)
  • If loading special paper into the copier, replace the paper and set it back to 81/2 x 11

QUOTE (Texsox @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 07:29 AM)
The list of things not to do

• Burning anything, especially popcorn, in the microwave
  • No custom blends of coffee. No double bags unless agreed upon by everyone (we did an afternoon two bagger)
  • No discussing off hours partying that involves other co-workers (burn your own ass)
  • No smelly foods in the lunch room. (that means your momma's kielbasa)
  • No bring me back something if you never go yourself
  • No put my name on the card I'm good for the $5 when you ain't ever been
  • No signing the card if you didn't chip in on the gift you cheap bastard
  • Cut the cake so everyone has a piece (Office lol)
  • If loading special paper into the copier, replace the paper and set it back to 81/2 x 11

These rules are laughed at in my place of employment

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 07:39 AM)
We discuss after-hours partying at my job, but then again we're a bunch of 20-somethings and we have pretty cool bosses.

And of course there is a difference if it's just some job you are working, or starting on a career path.

Yeah, I was at a company like that. Then after a few promotions went to the guys that were not "team players" and hanging out after work partying with us, we took notice. Something about trusting a $2,000,00 client with someone who was trying to out run the cops last night when they caught him taking a leak on the side of a building. When I realized how much rides on b.s. images, you tend to find a different group to party with.

Now it's more warnings about what is on your Facebook page, etc. It sucks when you try for that great position at XYZ Corp and your image is partying every night.

Far better to keep your private life private around work.

I have never had an office job, nor a job where I have to look nice everyday (hell, I've never had a paying job when I had to look nice on any day), but most college and even high school kids should know to either take their Facebook down or to untag yourself in every picture that you don't want Mr. Bossman to see. If they don't at this point, they are flat out morons.

If you want to see the pictures again so you can relive them with your friends, right click and hit "save image as", and, so long as your hard drive doesn't fail you, you'll have that picture forever.

It's been absolutely beaten to death around here.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 08:57 AM)
And of course there is a difference if it's just some job you are working, or starting on a career path.

Yeah, I was at a company like that. Then after a few promotions went to the guys that were not "team players" and hanging out after work partying with us, we took notice. Something about trusting a $2,000,00 client with someone who was trying to out run the cops last night when they caught him taking a leak on the side of a building. When I realized how much rides on b.s. images, you tend to find a different group to party with.

Now it's more warnings about what is on your Facebook page, etc. It sucks when you try for that great position at XYZ Corp and your image is partying every night.

Far better to keep your private life private around work.

Mine is def. a career, but I don't go into TOO much detail, neither does anyone else, but we still tell funny stories. I told ppl about the time when I was 21 and I got smashed and passed out in the street in Atlanta once, but I make sure to emphasize that was years ago and now I'm an adult. Or more recently I told people how I was at home by myself drunk and I somehow hit my head on the top of the door frame and ended up on my ass kind of stunned wondering how I got there. We all have senses of humor so it's cool. There's work, and then the other stuff... I share some of it but I keep it PG-13 for work.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)
Mine is def. a career, but I don't go into TOO much detail, neither does anyone else, but we still tell funny stories. I told ppl about the time when I was 21 and I got smashed and passed out in the street in Atlanta once, but I make sure to emphasize that was years ago and now I'm an adult. Or more recently I told people how I was at home by myself drunk and I somehow hit my head on the top of the door frame and ended up on my ass kind of stunned wondering how I got there. We all have senses of humor so it's cool. There's work, and then the other stuff... I share some of it but I keep it PG-13 for work.

Exactly. It's the doofus that doesn't understand that, and adds your name to his dumbass story, that is a danger.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
And you should be drinking your coffee like a man! Black!

lol, I was going to make a funny edit here but i'll be nice.

Here, we have people taking out the sugar spoon to stir their coffee. I hate that... how the hell do you expect the next guy to scoop up sugar?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 11:23 AM)
lol, I was going to make a funny edit here but i'll be nice.

Here, we have people taking out the sugar spoon to stir their coffee. I hate that... how the hell do you expect the next guy to scoop up sugar?

Yes, I like my coffee like I like my women...bitter....

Yes, I like my coffee like I like my men...Hot, Black and Strong....

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 17, 2008 -> 12:26 PM)
So I just took out the trash, and it was leaking because some asshole put a non-empty cup of coffee in the trash can.

If I catch someone doing that, it's an automatic kick in the balls.

Hmm, you do know that the possible culprit might not have balls?

Who wants to have "the talk" with lost?