2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 09:49 AM)
I now feel justified because you disagree with me.

Oh, and he's Rogers Hornsby, and Albert Pujols has hit more homers in nine years than Hornsby did in his entire career. In his first nine years in the majors, Pujols has over 50 more homers than Williams had to that point. All the while, Pujols was unknown until he tore up the majors. The guy is on something. You can flame me all you want because there's no rock solid proof yet, but I'm sure we'll see soon enough. By denying it now, you're really just putting off the inevitable.

I don't disagree with you, but to be fair, the only season in which pujols played in the minors (2000), he was considered to be the 42nd best prospect around baseball the following season.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 09:49 AM)
I now feel justified because you disagree with me.

Oh, and he's Rogers Hornsby, and Albert Pujols has hit more homers in nine years than Hornsby did in his entire career. In his first nine years in the majors, Pujols has over 50 more homers than Williams had to that point. All the while, Pujols was unknown until he tore up the majors. The guy is on something. You can flame me all you want because there's no rock solid proof yet, but I'm sure we'll see soon enough. By denying it now, you're really just putting off the inevitable.

First off, Rogers Hornsby is arguably the greatest right handed hitter of all time, but got overshadowed because he played in the same era as Ruth.

As for Ted Williams, you forget to mention that he had lost 3-4 full seasons due to the war, and that took place during his first 10 years in the bigs. Those were 3 huge years for him as he was 24 and only getting better. The most impressive thing is that he came back in 46 and got back right to where he left off.

Pujols wasn't unknown, and the likely reason for him dropping to the 13th round was because he was a JuCo guy. Pujols tore up the minors when he got drafted and was listed as one of the top prospects in all of baseball.

Also, there is no reason to think he has taken steroids. Besides good stats, give me one reason to suspect him.

I'm not saying he did or didn't, but it's asinine to say he's clearly a PED user because he's been putting up such good numbers. That's crap.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
First off, Rogers Hornsby is arguably the greatest right handed hitter of all time, but got overshadowed because he played in the same era as Ruth.

As for Ted Williams, you forget to mention that he had lost 3-4 full seasons due to the war, and that took place during his first 10 years in the bigs. Those were 3 huge years for him as he was 24 and only getting better. The most impressive thing is that he came back in 46 and got back right to where he left off.

Pujols wasn't unknown, and the likely reason for him dropping to the 13th round was because he was a JuCo guy. Pujols tore up the minors when he got drafted and was listed as one of the top prospects in all of baseball.

Also, there is no reason to think he has taken steroids. Besides good stats, give me one reason to suspect him.

I'm not saying he did or didn't, but it's asinine to say he's clearly a PED user because he's been putting up such good numbers. That's crap.

In regards to Williams, I only counted his first 9 seasons, not 9 years. I know he was in the war.

And the bolded part...just look at the guy. If he starts to get flabby like Thome, Thomas, or Griffey as he ages, I might take back my statement. But hell, by that time, someone will have already tied him to steroids anyway.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)
On another subject, Captain Cheeseburger was pulled after 1 1/3 inning today against the Marlins. Injury currently not disclosed.

Why I drafted him in the first round in one of my leagues is still a question I am asking myself. The guy I drafted in the second to last round that I traded away has better numbers than him.

Even if Pujols does take roids, the effects on him are questionable.

Steroids do not give him a better batting eye.

Steroids do not give him better place discipline.

Steroids do not make his swing perfect and virtually hole-less

Medically speaking, steroids do not improve eye-sight and they do not give a player faster reflexes. All it can do is give the player more muscle mass in the upper and lower body which can lead to farther hit baseballs and pitchers with more stamina (now do you wonder how Roger Clemens was still able to pump it up there in the mid 90s in his 40s?). And through past scientific experiments, it's not even a huge difference, but may be the difference between a double off the wall and a home run.

This steroids thing is hyped up to be the thing where a guy who is on it might be 5 times better than the player who isn't on them and that's definitely not true. The true effects of steroids are still questionable. As there are guys who have been exponentially better after taking them (Brett Boone) and also many more who have failed in attempt to taking them (see long list of guys who sucked that were on PEDs, like Armando Rios or dare I say Timo Perez).

Here's a nicely researched article on this stuff.

http://steroids-and-baseball.com/

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
Even if Pujols does take roids, the effects on him are questionable.

Steroids do not give him a better batting eye.

Steroids do not give him better place discipline.

Steroids do not make his swing perfect and virtually hole-less

Medically speaking, steroids do not improve eye-sight and they do not give a player faster reflexes. All it can do is give the player more muscle mass in the upper and lower body which can lead to farther hit baseballs and pitchers with more stamina (now do you wonder how Roger Clemens was still able to pump it up there in the mid 90s in his 40s?). And through past scientific experiments, it's not even a huge difference, but may be the difference between a double off the wall and a home run.

This steroids thing is hyped up to be the thing where a guy who is on it might be 5 times better than the player who isn't on them and that's definitely not true. The true effects of steroids are still questionable. As there are guys who have been exponentially better after taking them (Brett Boone) and also many more who have failed in attempt to taking them (see long list of guys who sucked that were on PEDs, like Armando Rios or dare I say Timo Perez).

Here's a nicely researched article on this stuff.

http://steroids-and-baseball.com/

Exact same things they said about A-Rod. Also, some steroids (specifically HGH) have been shown to improve vision.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 11:19 AM)
Exact same things they said about A-Rod. Also, some steroids (specifically HGH) have been shown to improve vision.

And no one has been able to do a double-blind study of those type of potential effects on heavy steroid users...because it's illegal. It's entirely possible that there are visual effects, but it will never be proven because doing the research is illegal.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 01:19 PM)

None of that has been medically studied. It's based on user's experience. There's no true medical and scientific proof that it improves vision.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
None of that has been medically studied. It's based on user's experience. There's no true medical and scientific proof that it improves vision.

I like how you pointed out that it isn't proven right after I pointed out that proving it is legally impossible right now. :headbang

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
I like how you pointed out that it isn't proven right after I pointed out that proving it is legally impossible right now. :headbang

They could always go to a far-off third world country and conduct research.

That's legal right?

The man came to the game in one of the biggest steriod years in baseball which they didn't test as of yet. He came out of nowhere in the minors (barely played in AA or AAA and wasn't that great in limited at-bats) He's known to be bigger than he was in the minors in 2000, and was in a contreversial argument with Scott Rolen (who plays the game hard, and never liked Albert) who LaRussa backed up Pujols and later was immediately dealt to Toronto in the off-season. I love Albert as a hitter, and someone compared his numbers to Franks when the Big Hurt was dominating in the early 90's (Ted Williams called Frank the greatest right handed hitter he's ever seen for a reason) but I'm not buying what hes (or people here want to believe) selling as of yet.

Also, some steroids (specifically HGH) have been shown to improve vision.

Correct. It improves hand/eye coordination, vision, strength of course, etc.. There is a reason people do it, not to just hit the ball very far.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
The man came to the game in one of the biggest steriod years in baseball which they didn't test as of yet. He came out of nowhere in the minors (barely played in AA or AAA and wasn't that great in limited at-bats) He's known to be bigger than he was in the minors in 2000, and was in a contreversial argument with Scott Rolen (who plays the game hard, and never liked Albert) who LaRussa backed up Pujols and later was immediately dealt to Toronto in the off-season. I love Albert as a hitter, and someone compared his numbers to Franks when the Big Hurt was dominating in the early 90's (Ted Williams called Frank the greatest right handed hitter he's ever seen for a reason) but I'm not buying what hes (or people here want to believe) selling as of yet.

Correct. It improves hand/eye coordination, vision, strength of course, etc.. There is a reason people do it, not to just hit the ball very far.

Thank you, SoxAce.

And in regards to that quote, I've heard that said quite a few times. Does anyone have a link to a website with Ted Williams being quoted as actually saying that?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 05:38 PM)
(Ted Williams called Frank the greatest right handed hitter he's ever seen for a reason)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1...e_greatest.html

"I've always felt Rogers Hornsby was the greatest hitter for average and power in the history of baseball." The quote belongs to one of the greatest hitters of all time -- Ted Williams.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)

Simple foods and vitamins can improve hand/eye coordination, vision etc...Just sayin

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
don't underestimate the recovery factor for in PEDs. Players who use them probably feel alot better and sharper in that 4th AB on the 7th game in 7 days

Steroids help recovery.

But there hasn't been a medical or scientific claim that HGH does.

QUOTE (onedude @ Jun 22, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
Killed in high school, in JuCo, in the Minors, and now in the Majors. He's always been powerful wherever he's went. Has always had a High average wherever he's went. I'm giving him the benefit.

He's a great hitter in general. If he did use steroids, he would still be one of the game's best players without them.

Ted williams personal top twenty hitters of all time as of 1994.

20. Ralph Kiner

19. Mike Schmidt

18. Frank Robinson

17. Harry Heilmann

16. Mel Ott

15. Johnny Mize

14. Al Simmons

13. Tris Speaker

12. Mickey Mantle

11. Hank Greenberg

10. Willie Mays

9. Hank Aaron

8. Joe Jackson

7. Stan Musial

6. Ty Cobb

5. Joe DiMaggio

4. Rogers Hornsby

3. Jimmie Foxx

2. Lou Gehrig

1. Babe Ruth

My boy hammerhead johnson had it in his sig, and the site he said it for a long time here. Posted some of what I found here.

Coming out of the big series in Cleveland in late July, the Big Hurt wasn't doing much for the first-place Chicago White Sox except leading the American League in hitting, runs, walks, on-base percentage, slugging percentage, extra-base hits, ropes, bombs, shortstops moving out of the way of nuclear ground balls, and number of clubhouse boys sent running for more double-strength Mylanta.

Try this on for size: This year, barring a protracted strike, Thomas could break Babe Ruth's records for runs, walks, and extra-base hits in a single season. He could become the first man since Ted Williams to have an on-base percentage of .500 or higher, and the first one since Williams with a slugging percentage above .700. Now here's a sentence without Ruth or Williams: Thomas looks as if he'll be the first man to bat .350, hit 50 home runs, and walk 150 times in one season- period. Oh, and he's after the Triple Crown and Roger Maris's 61 home runs, too.

Basically, he is scaring baseball right out of it's Bikes. Somebody asked Cleveland Indian manager Mike Hargrove the other day how to pitch to Thomas, and he said "Throw it 10 feet in front of the plate and hope he doesn't hit it on the first hop". Already New York Yankee manager Buck Showalter has said he would consider walking him with the bases loaded. "I wish they'd let us put on the masks and shin guards", Cleveland Indians pitcher Dennis Martinez says. "Pitchers shouldn't be left out there alone with him".

Taken from the August 8, 1994 issue of Sports Illustrated