Freddy Garcia speculation (Closed - Garcia Signs W/Mets)

southsider2k5

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freddy should sign with the sox. He probably knows the sox won't screw with him. He may not get the same treatment elsewhere, from another team he's not familiar with. If he's throwing well, Freddy will have a spot. If not, he'd likely be in AAA. Same with Colon-though I could see Colon refusing a AAA assignment if he thinks he can land a starting spot on another MLB team. Freddy might refuse as well. They both need to prove to other teams that they can get major league hitters out in 2009 for a contract in 2010. They can't do that in AAA.

Right now, the sox can offer FG a chance to compete for the 5th spot. He has to prove himself in spring. But the chance should be there.

QUOTE (Sec101Row1 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 10:23 PM)
F/A pitchers available as of 1/16/09

Kris Benson (33)

Paul Byrd (38) - Type B, offered arb

Roger Clemens (46)

Josh Fogg (32)

Freddy Garcia (33)

Jon Garland (29) - Type B, offered arb

Tom Glavine (43)

Charlie Haeger (25)

Livan Hernandez (34)

Orlando Hernandez (43)

Chuck James (27)

Jason Jennings (30)

Jon Lieber (39)

Braden Looper (34) - Type B, not offered arb

Rodrigo Lopez (33)

Pedro Martinez (37)

Mark Mulder (31)

John Parrish (31)

Odalis Perez (32)

Oliver Perez (27) - Type A, offered arb

Andy Pettitte (37) - Type A, not offered arb

Sidney Ponson (32)

Kenny Rogers (44)

Curt Schilling (42)

Ben Sheets (30) - Type A, offered arb

Kip Wells (32)

Randy Wolf (32) - Type B, not offered arb

Kris Benson (33) 3-4 teams are showing interest

Paul Byrd (38) - Type B, offered arb (is now talking about mid-season comeback with playoff team, supposedly turned down $8 million for one year to spend time with family)

Josh Fogg (32)

Freddy Garcia (33) Mets/White Sox/Rangers

Jon Garland (29) - Type B, offered arb

Tom Glavine (43) post-op, will go back to Braves or probably retire

Charlie Haeger (25)

Livan Hernandez (34) is there any way he's really just 34?

Orlando Hernandez (43) is he 50 now?

Chuck James (27) once a top Braves prospect who was rushed, along with Kyle Davies

Jason Jennings (30)

Jon Lieber (39)

Braden Looper (34) - Type B, not offered arb KW should be looking at him closely

Rodrigo Lopez (33)

Pedro Martinez (37) KW should be looking at him closely

Mark Mulder (31) if the medical reports are positive, another low-risk/high-reward type guy with lots of playoff experience

John Parrish (31) Tigers are looking at him as swing man and spot starter

Odalis Perez (32)

Oliver Perez (27) - Type A, offered arb Mets? around $30 million for 3 years

Andy Pettitte (37) - Type A, not offered arb will either retire a Yankee or accept their $10 million offer for one season

Sidney Ponson (32) is he really just 32, seems like he's been around forever?

Kenny Rogers (44) will probably retire

Curt Schilling (42) ditto

Ben Sheets (30) - Type A, offered arb, the most interesting pitcher left on the market today, will get around $12-13 million for one year

Kip Wells (32)

Randy Wolf (32) - Type B, not offered arb, another second-tier starter who had great 2nd half, looking at $7-9 million, or $15-16 million/2 years

Yadel Marti (29) CUBA

Tony Armas, Jr.

Kris Benson is going to throw for scouts next Saturday, and in the week after that, it's likely that Mark Mulder -- who, like Benson, is represented by agent Gregg Clifton -- will throw off a mound for scouts. Two advance scouts say that they think Mulder could be the hidden gem of this free-agent class, because if he can restore his arm angle -- and that's been the focus of his offseason work -- he could be a very effective pitcher for relatively little money.

www.mlbtraderumors.com

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)
Chuck James would be a great reclamation project.

IIRC, James is an extreme flyball pitcher. He'd give up close to 40 HR's if he threw half his games in the Cell. He gave up 30 two yrs ago in 160 IP.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 07:38 PM)
Kris Benson is going to throw for scouts next Saturday, and in the week after that, it's likely that Mark Mulder -- who, like Benson, is represented by agent Gregg Clifton -- will throw off a mound for scouts. Two advance scouts say that they think Mulder could be the hidden gem of this free-agent class, because if he can restore his arm angle -- and that's been the focus of his offseason work -- he could be a very effective pitcher for relatively little money.

www.mlbtraderumors.com

If the hometown boy Mulder wants to come home, it wouldn't be the worst signing.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 10:35 PM)
More from Rosenthal:

well hopefully we can get freddy. hes still my all time fave sox player. im sure the sox will sign him if they feel he can contribute this year. i dont think $ will be a huge issue

Edited by Melissa1334

I just don't see the point of adding him into the mix if its going to be a ML contract now that we signed Colon, especially with Freddy topping out at 82 on the gun. With Contreras apparently back into the mix it appears as if we have enough candidates for the 4&5 spots going into this year.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 04:44 AM)
I just don't see the point of adding him into the mix if its going to be a ML contract now that we signed Colon, especially with Freddy topping out at 82 on the gun. With Contreras apparently back into the mix it appears as if we have enough candidates for the 4&5 spots going into this year.

wow thats its? wasnt he atleast in the mid 80s back when we faced him? well i just think that if we can get him for 1mil or less , we should get him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 07:25 AM)
I would expect he was at least 85-88, maybe 89 sometimes...is there a tape/replay of that game with the radar readings anywhere?

MLB Gameday shows him at 92 several times in the make up game he pitched against the White Sox on September 28, 2008. His last fastball in the 6th inning was at 91. He left the game leading 2-1, having thrown 72 pitches.

It's a question of durability, not a question of ability, with Freddy Garcia.

QUOTE (TLAK @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
MLB Gameday shows him at 92 several times in the make up game he pitched against the White Sox on September 28, 2008. His last fastball in the 6th inning was at 91. He left the game leading 2-1, having thrown 72 pitches.

It's a question of durability, not a question of ability, with Freddy Garcia.

I agree with this and I think it's worth pointing out that Bartolo Colon's injury issues last year wasn't his arm, if I remember correctly, but Freddie did have major arm problems. But, he will be two years removed from that and I think worth a contract with incentives like BC got. But, maybe the Sox need to aim a bit higher for a pitcher. I still like Jon Garland as an option.

All quiet on the Freddy Garcia front on Monday, but look for the free-agent starting pitcher to make a decision sometime this week.

As it looks now, the White Sox, Mets and Rangers are still in on the big right-hander, with the Yankees’ interest fading.

There has been some speculation that the White Sox are no longer interested in Garcia after they signed another injury-prone veteran _ Bartolo Colon _ last week.

That’s not necessarily true.

Given Colon’s physical troubles over the past three seasons, there is still plenty of interest in Garcia on the South Side.

And even if Colon does manage to stay off the disabled list, they still need a No. 5 starter.

Either way, the Sox are in a good situation.

If they get Garcia, that buys more time to develop promising left-hander Aaron Poreda.

If they don’t get Garcia, Poreda, Clayton Richard, Jeff Marquez, Lance Broadway and possibly Jack Egbert can compete for the final spot in the starting rotation when spring training opens on Feb. 15.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 08:41 PM)
Yanks and Mets front runners for Garica per Rosey.

Beat me to it!

Here is the excerpt from mlbtraderumors

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal was told by a major league source that the Mets and Yankees are the leading contenders for free agent right-hander Freddy Garcia.

Garcia has, according to the source, "pretty much narrowed it down" to the New York teams. The 33-year-old is 118-77 lifetime with a 4.07 ERA, but has pitched just 73 innings over the past two seasons. He is thought to be looking for a major league contract.

Freddy would be dumb as hell to sign with the Yankees. CC-Wang-Burnett-Joba and then any combination of Pettitte if he resigns, Hughes, Kennedy, and any other minor leaguer or free agent they bring in. He'd atleast be better off signing with the Mets, but I don't understand why the Sox wouldn't want to be more involved in negotiations, unless both New York teams are offering multi-million deals.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
So, Mets then?

And at the same time they are pushing for Oliver Perez and Sheets.

I dunno, its an odd offseason. It is so strange to be so close to the season kicking off and so many unknowns