Official 2008-2009 NFL Offseason Thread

QUOTE (rangercal @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
bears should go after Thigpen. I like him

As soon as I saw the trade, that's exactly what I thought as well. I really really like Thigpen and would give him every shot to compete with Orton for the starting job.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
As soon as I saw the trade, that's exactly what I thought as well. I really really like Thigpen and would give him every shot to compete with Orton for the starting job.

I like Thigpen too, the guy can run and throw on the run... which will be important if we cant shore up this offensive line.

I'm actually surprised that the Chiefs did this.

They have so many holes that they will use a top 2nd round pick on a position that they already have a capable young player at.

I guess it all depends on what they can get for Thigpen. I dont think I would have done this if I was KC.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
I'm actually surprised that the Chiefs did this.

They have so many holes that they will use a top 2nd round pick on a position that they already have a capable young player at.

I guess it all depends on what they can get for Thigpen. I dont think I would have done this if I was KC.

It's hard to know where to start for the holes on Kansas City but I'd start with defensive and offensive line as the first two problems. They ended up having the fewest sacks in NFL history I think. And the offensive line has Brian Waters and that's about it. The quarterback situation is debatable with Scott Pioli as the new GM, he was firmiliar with Matt Cassel back at New England. It might also be possible that Todd Haley wanted a quarterback similar to his former job with Arizona. Getting Vrabel and Cassel for the 34th pick in the draft is a toss up, but at least both players are proven to be successful in the NFL. Picking up Vrabel will help the Chiefs linebackers because this year they are switching to a 3-4 defense.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 01:46 PM)
Bears should rather just draft Brett Rhomar who if he hadn't gotten kicked off Oklahoma would've let them to the national championship game.

I'm honestly going to laugh my head off at any team that drafts Rhett Bomar in the 2nd-3rd rounds. Even playing against horrendous competition he still had a career completion percentage of 56.4%. He makes two NFL throws in a row, and then 2 throws where you are just left scratching your head.

If his decisions were the main problem, that would be one thing, and correctable. But his main issue is his accuracy. He just steps back, fires, and hopes for the best. He doesn't seem to have a short or medium range on his arm strength.

So Bomar would have led them to a title but Bradford couldn't? :unsure:

If all the Chiefs gave up was a 2nd for Vrabel and Cassell, I like what they did. Now, they could go Curry at 3 to boost their LB's, or take Crabtree and get another weapon + Bowe + Gonzalez for Cassell.

However, I could see the Chiefs getting a 4th and an early 3rd for LJ and Gonzalez now. When I first heard the trade, I figured it was going to be Gonzalez and their 3rd for Cassell and their 2nd.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 04:39 PM)
So Bomar would have led them to a title but Bradford couldn't? :unsure:

If all the Chiefs gave up was a 2nd for Vrabel and Cassell, I like what they did. Now, they could go Curry at 3 to boost their LB's, or take Crabtree and get another weapon + Bowe + Gonzalez for Cassell.

However, I could see the Chiefs getting a 4th and an early 3rd for LJ and Gonzalez now. When I first heard the trade, I figured it was going to be Gonzalez and their 3rd for Cassell and their 2nd.

I kind of wondered if the Patriots hadn't signed Fred Taylor if they would've asked for Larry Johnson instead of the 34th pick.

Cassell for Larry Johnson straight up would have been a horrible, horrible trade for the Pats.

BTW"

According to Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, the Bears are in the mix for Vikings veteran Darren Sharper. Sharper is set to visit New Orleans on Monday.

per Tribune

BARF

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 01:46 PM)
Bears should rather just draft Brett Rhomar who if he hadn't gotten kicked off Oklahoma would've let them to the national championship game.

This is a bit of a stretch. Yes Bomar is talented and accuracy is something that can be worked on as he's in the NFL (maybe his release point is the problem for instance), but throughout Bomar's college career, he had the accuracy of a blindfolded, drunk guy throwing darts. He would have never been as good as Sam Bradford was the last 2 years either.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
I agree that Cutler has too big of a mouth on him, but wouldn't you be pissed if you were on the block after putting up the numbers he did last year for a QB with gigantic question marks surrounding him?

Its a business, and he is a commodity. The entire Broncos roster is getting a makeover. People get traded, cut, released every day, and they cannot do a damn thing about it. Now Cutler wants to tell the Broncos that the rest of the team will mutiny if he is traded? The same guy who keeps telling everyone he is better than Elway?

"I'm upset. I mean I'm really shocked at this point," he said. "I could see why they want Cassel. I don't know if they think I can't run the system or I don't have the skills for it. I just don't get it. Or if they don't think they can sign me with my next contract. I just don't know what it is. I've heard I'm still on the trading block."

Cutler said he had spoken with teammates Brandon Marshall, Brandon Stokley, Tony Scheffler and Casey Wiegmann, among others, about his trade. "I know they love playing for me and I love playing for them," Cutler said. "There's going to be a lot of problems if they try to trade me. Well, they've already tried to trade me, but if they trade me for sure."

Once again. STFU

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 03:27 PM)
What has Cutler ever done? The most I'd give up for him is a 2nd this year and a 3rd or 4th next year. He had 25 TD's and 20 turnovers (18 INT, 2 fumbles lost) this past year, and in Chicago he wouldn't have Eddie Royal and Brandon Marshall.

Are you kidding me, Cutler is a f***ing stud.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 08:20 PM)
What has he done to show you that? His crybaby attitude? His inconsistency? Or are you basing that off the fact that he was a high draft pick?

Uh, maybe you are blind

Cutler has a career QB rating of 87.1 and has improved in each season.. he threw for 4500 yards and 25 TDs last season following up the 3500 20 line he put up in his sophomore season. He also completes 62% of his passes which is pretty damn good (Peyton Manning is at 64% career)

Forget the crybaby attitude, that has nothing to do with his performance clearly.. and maybe he can be inconsistent at times but he is a stud.

Cutler will do ridiculously bad here. He's shakey at times with 2 STUD WR's in Denver- how will he come here with Devin Hester, me, and you at WR?

I'd rather we kept Orton and traded for someone like Boldin or Chad Johnson, then trade for Cutler and keep our current WR's.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
Cutler will do ridiculously bad here. He's shakey at times with 2 STUD WR's in Denver- how will he come here with Devin Hester, me, and you at WR?

I'd rather we kept Orton and traded for someone like Boldin or Chad Johnson, then trade for Cutler and keep our current WR's.

What did Brandon Marshall and Royal do before Cutler? I'm not knocking them, just stating that Cutler should get some credit for turning a rookie WR into a stud. Cutler is easily one of the five best QB's in the league and has more upside than any QB in the league.