NY Daily News: Sox make Abreu 1-Year Offer

Steve9347

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 10:25 PM)
Called it.

I bet you would "freaking" love it if the Angels signed him for dirt cheap. That GMj contract looks REALLY bad now.

I was always under the impression that the "offer" was contingent upon the Sox moving Konerko, Dye, or Thome.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)
He signed with the Angels for a little more than $5 million + incentives.

look at how much the economy has changed just over the course of this offseason...Raul Ibanez who is a year older than Abreu got 3 years 30 mil....and now abreu signed for 1 year 5...wow

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 10:01 AM)
look at how much the economy has changed just over the course of this offseason...Raul Ibanez who is a year older than Abreu got 3 years 30 mil....and now abreu signed for 1 year 5...wow

I don't think that's entirely accurate. The Ibanez deal looked stupid when it was signed, and it looks even worse now. It had less to do with the economy and more to do with poor decision making, IMO. Abreu was right to expect he should get a better deal than Ibanez, but he probably threw away better money back in November. But even still, this deal probably has little to do with the economy and more to do with bargaining position. Spring training is about to start and he wants to play. Teams had no need to give an inch.

Report: Dodgers Could Make 'Big Splash'

By Drew Silva [February 10 at 7:23pm CST]

The East Valley Tribune's Scott Bordow reports that the Dodgers "could make a big splash in the next 72 hours."

"Don’t be surprised if the Dodgers not only sign Manny Ramirez but Orlando Hudson as well," writes Bordow. It sounded like speculation at first, but Bordow confirmed to me in an e-mail that he heard the news from a "pretty reliable source."

The Dodgers have been linked to Hudson at times this offseason, but have only admitted to having mild interest in the second baseman. The Dodgers would lose their #17 pick in the June draft if they sign Hudson, but they're in need of a guy that can play second base every day and he's the best man available. Then again, as some readers have pointed out, it might block the development of Blake DeWitt.

that sucks, it would be great if we could sign him just bcuz hes really good and wont be expensive

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 09:01 AM)

I think Milton Bradley's contract is going to go down as the worst this offseason.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 07:33 AM)
He signed with the Angels for a little more than $5 million + incentives.

This kind of ticks me off. He could've been a huge difference maker in our lineup, for cheap. Should've found a way to move someone. It was a window of opportunity, now closed.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
This kind of ticks me off. He could've been a huge difference maker in our lineup, for cheap. Should've found a way to move someone. It was a window of opportunity, now closed.

Why would anyone take Dye at double that cost? There was no market for us to move anyone.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 09:24 AM)
Why would anyone take Dye at double that cost? There was no market for us to move anyone.

Agreed. And, despite Abreu's better OBP, I'd rather have Dye than him. IMO, the only positive to landing Abreu would've been the opportunity to deal Dye for a leadoff hitter.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)

My point is, KW MIGHT have been able to trade Dye if we ate more than half his salary, ~$6M. The net cost would still be the same.

If AJ winds up in the 2 hole with a pathetic .312 OBP, i'm going to be doubly pissed. I really thought we were going to wind up with Abreu. My optimism for the season is somewhat lessened.

Wow another outfielder nabbed by the Angels. Man its like they target whoever we go after.

It's believed the Angels are offering a one-year deal in the $5 million to $6 million range, while Abreu wants something closer to $8 million.

I don't get why Abreu would sign with them especially if he himself wanted 8 million which is what KW offered. I find that every big name player that doesn't sign with us it makes me feel like people honestly don't think we can contend. Honestly, thats what I love about the Sox! They always prove everyone wrong. We turn forgotten talent into superstars and get Cuban all-stars and we still play good baseball. Why won't someone take a chance with us seriously. Dye did and he got a ring.

QUOTE (WinningUgly85 @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
Wow another outfielder nabbed by the Angels. Man its like they target whoever we go after.

I don't get why Abreu would sign with them especially if he himself wanted 8 million which is what KW offered. I find that every big name player that doesn't sign with us it makes me feel like people honestly don't think we can contend. Honestly, thats what I love about the Sox! They always prove everyone wrong. We turn forgotten talent into superstars and get Cuban all-stars and we still play good baseball. Why won't someone take a chance with us seriously. Dye did and he got a ring.

The White Sox even with Abreu had no chance of winning anything. The Angels are contenders, nuff said.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
The White Sox even with Abreu had no chance of winning anything. The Angels are contenders, nuff said.

Disagree. Completely. We'll still be OK, but Abreu would make us better.

Angels aren't all that - much more of an "aging" team than the Sox actually, at this point. They won't be as good as last year.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
Agreed. And, despite Abreu's better OBP, I'd rather have Dye than him. IMO, the only positive to landing Abreu would've been the opportunity to deal Dye for a leadoff hitter.

I sure as hell wouldnt. Abreu would be a ridiculous OBP and RBI guy for us. He's a better clutch hitter with men on base and would get on base himself in front of a ton of power. I would have packed Dye's bags for him if we could have traded him.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 11:58 AM)
Disagree. Completely. We'll still be OK, but Abreu would make us better.

Angels aren't all that - much more of an "aging" team than the Sox actually, at this point. They won't be as good as last year.

Explain how we are going to be ok? This should be rephrased to we are a questionable team right now with young guys that we don't know what we are going to get out of. I have been saying this since the offseason started that the Sox are a huge questionmark. Abreu even in center or left would have been a great investment at the cost and we easily could of plugged him into the 2 hole. I just don't understand how we offer 8, but he gets signed for 5.

QUOTE (WinningUgly85 @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)

Because the Sox never offered him a contract. They probably told his agent, who then told people, that the Sox were willing to give him $8 million if they could get rid of a player. They were never able to get rid of said player.

If the Sox had offered Abreu $8 million, he would be in a White Sox uniform.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 11, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)

I'm glad you're always looking at the bright side of things.