2009 Cubs thread

daa84

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)
Stoney said this morning on Sportsrise that the Cubs have 49 games left in this season, and they only play 12 against teams that are over .500 now. Expect them in the playoffs.

eh, they could realistically go 4-8 over those games then you have 37 games left to make some noise and they have to gain 4 1/2 games on the Cards with 3 games in hand or jump over, what, 3-4 teams in the wild card? The Cards are playing some real good baseball right now and it's hard to jump that many teams, even with 49 games left. It will still be uphill for them.

Are the Brewers under .500? Because that's at least one team that can give them some trouble offensively

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 12:37 AM)
I'd kill to have Marmol in our pen. 31 other teams would kill for him too.

He would get CRUSHED in the AL. That walking the bases loaded and pitching out of it bull s*** may work against the NL, but it wouldn't work in our league. And 31 other teams? This isn't the NFL.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)
Stoney said this morning on Sportsrise that the Cubs have 49 games left in this season, and they only play 12 against teams that are over .500 now. Expect them in the playoffs.

I'd be stunned if they are in the playoffs. St. Louis is better than them, and at least one wild card contender will step up and finish ahead of the Cubs.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 12:37 AM)
I'd kill to have Marmol in our pen. 31 other teams would kill for him too.

So there are 33 teams in MLB now?

Edited by KyYlE23

Pirates were just what the doctor ordered to save the Cubs.

Just as the Royals really helped out Detroit this weekend.

We better kick the s*** out of the Royals in the games coming up and not lose 2 of 3 like we did to Cleveland.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 08:00 AM)
So there are 33 teams in MLB now?

You sly bastard. ;) I have in retrospect added the existence of a new Las Vegas team (the Wildcards), and Canadian team (The Irrelevant’s) to not only the MLB, but also to the list of suitors for Marmosl services.. Knowing this, we can retroactively say that my previous post made sense.

Edited by Thunderbolt

haha, that was hysterical, from Lou wandering around the infield to the HR. This team is six back now, I believe 4 in the loss column with 48 to play and Cards have 44. So if the Cards go 22-22 would the Cubs have to go 30-18 to force a playoff? That's quick math, which I'm horrible at.

Also, in the Strasburg coverage they mentioned that Samardzja (sp?) got a 9.5m signing bonus. God, I know they had to keep him away from football, but that's insane.

As I was saying, the Cubs best shot is to win the Wild Card. The Cardinals schedule is tougher, but it lines up perfectly for them so they can skip their non-existent #5 starter a handful of times. Start rooting for Colorado and San Fran a lot.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 12:04 AM)
As I was saying, the Cubs best shot is to win the Wild Card. The Cardinals schedule is tougher, but it lines up perfectly for them so they can skip their non-existent #5 starter a handful of times. Start rooting for Colorado and San Fran a lot.

I think the Marlins are in front of them too. The Cubs would have to do a big turnaround to pull off the wildcard. The thing that's really going to get them is unlike the Cards they don't have too many days off, so the pen is going to get worked and the whole team is just not going to get much rest.

QUOTE (DonkeyKongerko @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 03:36 AM)
Gregg out. I guess 12HRs in 56IP was enough

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,2154939.story

He's been some kinda awful lately. He makes Linebrink look somewhat decent. Lou doesn't have too many appealing options right now. Marmol's sporting a mind-boggling 8.31 BB/9 (not to mention he's beaned 11 batters). Grabow? Yuck. I guess they can give Guzman a shot. But who takes his place?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 12:08 AM)
I think the Marlins are in front of them too. The Cubs would have to do a big turnaround to pull off the wildcard. The thing that's really going to get them is unlike the Cards they don't have too many days off, so the pen is going to get worked and the whole team is just not going to get much rest.

Aren't Braves too???

it is going to come down to who gets hot and has the easist road.....

I go with the overachieveing team to ride it out not the underachieving team to get hot.