Lance Broadway Or Clayton Richard

ozzfest

Lance Broadway Or Clayton Richard  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Lance Broadway Or Clayton Richard --Who has the better future?

• Lance Broadway
    • Clayton Richard

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 12:23 AM)
Lets see. One is a right handed control pitcher with no control who has a propensity to give up the long ball. And the other guy is a lefty. I go with Richard.

And you implying Richard's not a control pitcher?

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 11:26 PM)
And you implying Richard's not a control pitcher?

No, Broadway is a control pitcher with no control and gives up lots of homers. Richard is a lefty, and is breathing. I give the advantage to Richard.

QUOTE (Ishmookie @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 11:29 PM)
When we drafted Broadway I was excited but like so many other prospects he hasn't panned out yet. I wouldn't quite say he's a AAA pitcher yet though. He's still young and could possibly develop.

I hated the draft pick when it happened. He and his twin McCullough are perfect examples of low risk, low ceiling talent that we hopefully are going to avoid in the future. We already had this guy in our system before Felix Diaz. Except Felix pitched well at AAA.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 12:32 AM)
I hated the draft pick when it happened. He and his twin McCullough are perfect examples of low risk, low ceiling talent that we hopefully are going to avoid in the future. We already had this guy in our system before Felix Diaz. Except Felix pitched well at AAA.

Were you excited when Poreda was drafted?

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
I wanted Porcello over him, but at least he has tools. And when Lance was drafted I wanted Garza or Carillo over him as well.

Can you really blame the Sox for not wanting to give a high school pitcher a major league deal? Putting a 19 year old on the 40 man roster can seriously f*** things up 3 years down the road.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 11:39 PM)
Can you really blame the Sox for not wanting to give a high school pitcher a major league deal? Putting a 19 year old on the 40 man roster can seriously f*** things up 3 years down the road.

I can't argue with the fact that Boras and his silly demands for major league deals for the 18 year old messes it up. The draft needs to get a pure slotting method so we can neutralize the Boras effect with amateur talent.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 03:10 AM)
I dont know if this actually makes sense but, Im going to say Richard has the chance to make a bigger impact for sure, but as a relief pitcher. If we are comparing them as starters only, I think Broadway has a better shot to stick.

Not sure how I understand that Richard is a worse SP prospect than Broadway when Richard has a better fastball and better secondary pitches as well. I agree that Richard is going to be a fantastic reliever, just color me confused with this statement.

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Mar 4, 2009 -> 11:28 PM)
similar styles but the lefty wins.

Similar styles? They are about as opposite as pitchers can be. Broadway can barely scrape 90, and attempts to use control (which he doesn't have enough of) and a variety of breaking pitches to fool hitters. Richard can hit 94-95, has life on two fastballs but needs a bit more in the way of secondary pitches, and is far more athletic. I don't know of a single thing where they are alike, other than big toothy grins.

I just got off a conference call with Mr. Wizzo from the Bozo Show, Miss Cleo, Dionne Warwick, and John Edwards. Apparently 2008 marked Broadway's last performance ever in MLB, and furthermore it looks like Mr. Broadway will be off the 40-man roster very soon. The Sox have too much talent to keep that guy on the roster.

As for Clayton, I'm pessimistic about his chances as a starter, but I think he could be dynamite against lefties out of the bullpen and I think he has the repertoire to pitch a few innings as a LR also. He seems to have great composure out there also. I wouldn't be surprised to see Richard eventually wind up with a bullpen UT type role, where he could spot-start a doubleheader and go 3-4, then come back a few days later and work the 7th inning, then back to LR, then in to face a tough lefty in the 6th with RISP, etc. I believe every bullpen needs a guy like that and I think Richard might be our guy.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 05:29 AM)
No, Broadway is a control pitcher with no control and gives up lots of homers. Richard is a lefty, and is breathing. I give the advantage to Richard.

Maybe we can trade him for a real prospect then? Personally I think they both might make it with this team eventually. They are young and still learning to pitch in the bigs. If they can learn to keep the ball down and pitch inside they have a future.

Edited by elrockinMT