Swisher Trade Revisited (My how times have changed)

Steve9347

A lot has changed in the 2.5 months since the White Sox dealt away Nick Swisher. The entire scope of economics in the game and player value has been completely flipped...

First, let's look over Swisher's contract, which at the time we acquired him seemed like a bargain. Numbers are from mlb4u.

Nick Swisher's Contract

2009: $5.3 million

2010: $6.75 million

2011: $9 million (limited No-Trade clause 6 teams)

2012: $10.25 million (limited No-Trade clause 6 teams), $1 million buyout.

Wow. Don't those numbers look a bit different now? Orlando Hudson and Bobby Abreu make less than Swisher this year alone.

Now let's look we received in return for the pink-bearded one, simply from the perspective of filling holes on our roster.

Marquez: I know it's spring, but the kid does look like he has a big-league future at least close to what was originally projected.

Betemit: At worst its obvious he's going to be a decent utility player who can crush right-handed hitting. Vs. lefties, pretty useless, but the guy brings a legitimate bat that pitchers have to at least worry about a bit.

Nunez: Future reliever maybe, not really a big deal at this point.

Combined 2009 salaries

$1.3 million + league minimum if Marquez makes the big club.

Conclusion

This might be one of the best trades of Kenny Williams' career. It was well-known that the White Sox were planning ahead heading into this economic crisis, and they were setting themselves up for things to change in a big way. If Kenny doesn't trade Swisher, he'd be pretty much untradeable right now, with an albatross of a contract in his future.

Instead, the White Sox got a guy in Marquez who will be the first man called upon once the inevitable Bartolo Colon strained fat DL stint is upon us, a guy in Betemit who will get a ton of at-bats against right handers, and a piece for the farm in Nunez. Meanwhile, the Yankees have the big question mark of Nick Swisher. Sure, Swish could do well, but regardless, prices himself out of his worth, in my opinion. The landscape of MLB has changed, and KW having the vision to get rid of Swish, let alone get anything in return, was one of the savviest moves I've ever seen.

Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)
The question really becomes, do you believe the package we sent to Oakland is better than the package we got from the Yankees?

In terms of "total trade value now" if you offered up the exact same package, Gio + Sweeney would probably outweight Betemit + Nunez + Marquez.

But, Marquez was only available because of injury. In a couple weeks, if Marquez is performing like he currently is...that will switch around rapidly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 03:02 PM)
In terms of "total trade value now" if you offered up the exact same package, Gio + Sweeney would probably outweight Betemit + Nunez + Marquez.

But, Marquez was only available because of injury. In a couple weeks, if Marquez is performing like he currently is...that will switch around rapidly.

Yes, but that is a part of making a trade. You could also say that Kenny wouldn't have gotten Gavin Floyd if his head was clear. For whatever reason he was out there, Marquez was available.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
Yes, but that is a part of making a trade. You could also say that Kenny wouldn't have gotten Gavin Floyd if his head was clear. For whatever reason he was out there, Marquez was available.

Ok, in terms of "Raw overall value to the rest of the league at the time of the deal" KW gave up more to get Swisher than he got back.

But if Marquez keeps up pitching the way he currently is, then if you view the trade "In hindsight" I'll give us the win given DLS's injury problems and Swisher's, um, issues.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
I in no way agree with him but Murph dubbed it the best Chicago trade of the last 10 years.

Jose Contreras then ran up to him and kicked him. Repeatedly. Then he insisted his ankle was still fine and ran away.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 10:10 PM)
Jose Contreras then ran up to him and kicked him. Repeatedly. Then he insisted his ankle was still fine and ran away.

Um, as much as I hate it, the Aramis/Lofton trade for crap was the best trade in last 10 years. Aramis is going to end up with HOF numbers if he plays another 8 seasons or so.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
Um, as much as I hate it, the Aramis/Lofton trade for crap was the best trade in last 10 years. Aramis is going to end up with HOF numbers if he plays another 8 seasons or so.

I dunno, if things continue progressing, getting John Danks for Brandon McCarthy is right up there...

Then there's Mark Bell in a three-way deal landing Marty Havlat.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)
Agreed, you have to wonder if McCarthy's going to always have injury issues.

It's gotten so bad for Brandon that he's begun changing his repertoire in an attempt to stay healthy. He's ditched his curve in favor of a slider.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)

I don't know... salary dumps are pretty easy deals to make when you're one of the few contending teams with salary space and a team like the Pirates is desperate.

That deal was a no brainer.

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 04:04 PM)
I don't know... salary dumps are pretty easy deals to make when you're one of the few contending teams with salary space and a team like the Pirates is desperate.

That deal was a no brainer.

Regardless of the circumstances surrounding the deal. Getting Aramis Ramirez, Kenny Lofton and CASH for Jose Hernandez, Matt Bruback (never made it to the majors) and Bobby Hill is just ridiculous value. You make it sound like any team with some money to spend could have made that deal, well of the teams with the necessary resources the Cubs pulled it off.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 6, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
Regardless of the circumstances surrounding the deal. Getting Aramis Ramirez, Kenny Lofton and CASH for Jose Hernandez, Matt Bruback (never made it to the majors) and Bobby Hill is just ridiculous value. You make it sound like any team with some money to spend could have made that deal, well of the teams with the necessary resources the Cubs pulled it off.

Sure it's ridiculous value, but it was still a no brainer. Ramirez was a guy who already had hit .300 with 30 homers at 23 years old.

What GM wouldn't have made that trade if they had the same resources Hendry works with? Was there another team even competing for Ramirez.