ST 3/7: White Sox vs. Rangers

flavum

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)
The Rangers' announcers were very complimentary to Viciedo. Said that was as long a throw as you can make, and that his reactions were "quick" down there. He also made a nice throw to end the inning with the forceout at 2B.

It's amazing how much more exciting it is when Beckham, Viciedo, Flowers, Nix, Kroeger, Jordan Danks, etc., are in the line-up instead of our "normal" somewhat boring line-up. I guess we have Getz and Viciedo, but Torres isn't the kind of hitter you stand around and watch in BP either.

Fields is tearing it up this spring. No excitement for him?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
color me impressed with owens ability to draw a walk so far this spring...i think he has 6 already

color me unimpressed with owens base stealing ability....0-3 this spring i think

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 02:41 PM)
color me unimpressed with owens base stealing ability....0-3 this spring i think

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If he keeps this up, he might set a Cactus League record for caught stealing. :o

Owens is basically useless in the current Willie Harris/Pods after July of 2005 form...pretty soon, it's going to get into his head and he's going to start to getting more tentative and make even more mistakes, because psychologically he knows he has to run out there, that's the only way he can prove he's healthy and make the ballclub. If he's not capable of stealing 45-55 bases in a full season, he's useless. And he has to get at least 75% of them....which would mean he now needs 9 steals in a row to be effective. That doesn't seem likely.

Forgot about Josh Fields, along with Kroeger, Viciedo, Nix and Beckham and the seeming health of Contreras/Colon and Marquez and Richard pitching well, the highlight of the spring so far.

However, the CF situation seemingly is getting worse by the day. It can't be DeWayne Wise, can it? I just hope KW doesn't make some sort of desperation move like Juan Pierre.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ChesterCopperpot @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 03:51 PM)
Clayton looks great on Gameday.

when he commands the ball, hes gonna get alot of ground ball outs...the more i see of him the more i like him...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
However, the CF situation seemingly is getting worse by the day. It can't be DeWayne Wise, can it? I just hope KW doesn't make some sort of desperation move like Juan Pierre.

Really, right now, if Kroeger can handle CF (he really needs some games there) then he's got to be the frontrunner on all accounts right now. A Kroeger/Anderson platoon/defensive replacement setup would be something we could probably handle, especially if the last bench spot went to Lillibridge, who also hasn't had a lot of time yet but hasn't looked bad.

In other words, right now, my bench/2b/CF is:

2b: Nix

CF: Kroeger

Bench: Betemit, Anderson, Lillibridge, backup Catcher.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
God love Kenny Williams, but that trade and extension of MacDougal is right up there as his worst move as GM.

The trade for MacDougal on paper wasn't a bad one. The top guy we gave up hasn't amounted to anything, and we got a solid 2nd half of 2006 out of him (25 innings, 1.80 ERA, 1.00 WHIP). In a playoff chase, that's hard to complain about. Even if the guy blows up afterwards, if you're making a playoff run and you get a guy who gives you those numbers, it's not a bad move.

The extension is the part that has blown up.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
God love Kenny Williams, but that trade and extension of MacDougal is right up there as his worst move as GM.

yeah turned out to be pretty bad...but don't forget how good macdougal was down the stretch in 06 for us when we gave him the extension...its too bad he's lost all command...though thats basically teh danger of giving middle relievers contracts based on relatively small sample sizes