Ozzie thinks Owens isn't doing too well

Heads22

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 08:10 PM)
No... just no.

I'm not an Owens fan, but let's not get carried away to try and make a point.

NOBODY in the known universe has a worse throwing arm than Pierre.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pierre needs a cutoff man to throw to 2nd base. Also, does everyone have a short memory? Scotty Pods could barely throw the third from left field on 2 bonuces.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Mar 11, 2009 -> 02:12 AM)
All of this is really up to Getz. If Getz steps up and takes 2b/Leadoff then everything is answered: BA bats 9th and solidifies defense up the middle.

IMO this is the most likely scenario, and one that I am ok with. Over the course of the year, should BA falter, and Beckham start to rake in the AA/AAA, something with the lineup may need to be addressed.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)
The Brewers' radio announcers thought that Owens really "blistered" the ball to the opposite field, lol.

Why he can't do that more consistently, instead of patented 4-3 Thome PO, is beyond me...

I'm pretty sure that Owens patented teh 4-3 putout. He does it way more often than Jim Thome does.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)
The Brewers' radio announcers thought that Owens really "blistered" the ball to the opposite field, lol.

Why he can't do that more consistently, instead of patented 4-3 Thome PO, is beyond me...

He doesnt blister anything. His hits to LF are shanks due to his awful swing path.

I'm on the Anderson bandwagon. His defene alone should beat out Owens and Wise. I thought Anderson did an awesome job accepting his role last year- he never b****ed or moaned about it at all. And it won't be like 2006 where he had all the pressure in the world to replace the legend of Aaron Rowand and to help the White Sox repeat as world champs. As a 9th hole hitter, i'll accept his ~.250 average.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
I'm pretty sure that Owens patented teh 4-3 putout. He does it way more often than Jim Thome does.

I took a look at the numbers. Owens goes has gone 4-3 in a little less than 1/3 of his total major league PA. Last year Thome went 4-3 less than 1/5 of the time.

Kenny Williams is no dummy.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,2560763.story

WHITE SOX BITS BY DAVE VAN DYCK

Speed isn't main thing Chicago White Sox want in leadoff spot

GM not hung up with stolen bases

March 12, 2009

GLENDALE, Ariz. — While White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen says center fielder Jerry Owens is "fighting for his job," he and general manager Ken Williams say they do not need a speedster at the top of the order.

"A lot of people get too hung up with stolen base totals," Williams said. "One of the reasons I got [scott Podsednik] was to steal bases, but he also came with an on-base percentage of about .350.

"The goal is to get to second base to get in scoring position. So a leadoff hitter who will hit you 30 doubles and then steal you, instead of 40 bases, maybe 15 [is fine]."

Williams said he is more concerned with his leadoff hitter setting a "tone of the game" by having intelligent at-bats and seeing a lot of pitches.

"So while it may not look as pretty on paper as team X, we can get your starting pitcher out a lot of times an inning before you want to have him leave," he said.

For the record, rookie Gordon Beckham has five doubles already, more than twice as many as anyone else on the team.

And thus ends one of the worst seasons in the combined history of Iowa Hawkeye/ISU Cyclone BB ever...at least since I have been alive.

:mellow:

Jerry Owens sucks. I hope the Sox don't make the mistake of carrying him just because he's out of options.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
:mellow:

Jerry Owens sucks. I hope the Sox don't make the mistake of carrying him just because he's out of options.

With the way he's hitting right now and the fact that he seemingly can't run, I have difficulty thinking anyone else would grab him on waivers to put him on their big league roster.

Beckham almost hit one out to end the game....1 for 3, single, walk, run scored and flawless defense at shortstop.

Made a couple of very good plays, including a very athletic leaping snag of an errant AJ Pierzynski throw (what new?) on a stolen base attempt.

After today's game, he will continue to be a huge part of the conversation, Getz played well again today too. Fields banged an opposite field homer.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 09:22 PM)
It'll either be Owens or Getz, and I'm hoping to god it isn't Owens

I'll settle for Getz, but I'm holding out hope for Slayer - and the grooming of Getz to be the utility guy down the road - OR a move of Lexi to CF, and they all start.

I understand Getz has played some SS - does he have the arm to also play 3rd?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 06:10 PM)
I'll settle for Getz, but I'm holding out hope for Slayer - and the grooming of Getz to be the utility guy down the road - OR a move of Lexi to CF, and they all start.

I understand Getz has played some SS - does he have the arm to also play 3rd?

I think his arm strength (or lack thereof) and lack of range comes more into play at SS than 3B...I guess only Ozzie knows the answer that matters. FWI, Betemit has played over 10X more games at SS than Getz, but Betemit's two best positions right now are arguably 3B and 1B. Getz's experience there is more recent, however, in terms of playing all over the diamond, but over 80% of his career minor league games have been played at 2B.

That leaves the big question of keeping Lillibridge (because he's the best suited for backing up SS) or Nix. If it's not Nix, then you're forced to play Getz or Lillibridge as the back-up at SS to Ramirez.

And, of course, if Getz is the "regular" starter at 2B, you wouldn't want him playing all over the infield. Maybe a Nix/Getz platoon is what they're looking at right now...with Lillibridge in AAA.