Ozzie thinks Owens isn't doing too well

Heads22

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 05:45 PM)
what id like to see, and im surprised this hasnt been mentioned yet, assuming one of getz, niks, or lillibridge can play short what about plugging them in at second and short respectively then throw ramirez back out in center?

Because Chris Getz is not a major league shortstop and Nix hasn't played anywhere but 2B since 2001.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
Because Chris Getz is not a major league shortstop and Nix hasn't played anywhere but 2B since 2001.

The thing that stinks is, the Sox could have picked up OC for another year. Obviously it wasn't happening but I'd have been thrilled paying 4M for his production. I think the big problem is the Sox have absolutely no one who really projects as a leadoff hitter on there roster. Hell, Owens might be the best option (if you are looking for a true leadoff hitter) and no that isn't a good thing, its a f***ing awful thing.

Beckham is the only guy on the roster, other than Ramirez, capable of being an everyday shortstop. The problem is Ramirez might have some defensive issues as he adjusts. However, I do think that if there is one thing Ozzie knows, it's defense and the shortstop position and I can't see him putting a guy at SS on an everyday basis who will really struggle, so I'm going to hope Ozzie's comments are right and that Ramirez will surprise us all defensively.

I'm not doubting that he has the tools, just that there will be a learning curve. I will say this, if Kenny can, now would be the time to dip into those resources and find a way to acquire a starting centerfielder.

The thing that stinks is, the Sox could have picked up OC for another year. Obviously it wasn't happening but I'd have been thrilled paying 4M for his production. I think the big problem is the Sox have absolutely no one who really projects as a leadoff hitter on there roster. Hell, Owens might be the best option (if you are looking for a true leadoff hitter) and no that isn't a good thing, its a f***ing awful thing.

Beckham is the only guy on the roster, other than Ramirez, capable of being an everyday shortstop. The problem is Ramirez is going to have serious issues. I've always felt we are going to get a 30-40 error season if he plays there every day.

f*** Orlando Cabrera, and by the rules there's no way he could've realistically signed with the Sox for less than $10 million. Ozzie hated him and he was a selfish player. He can be the leading AL out maker some place else, and he can benefit from a team that doesn't put much value on defense.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 11:14 PM)
f*** Orlando Cabrera, and by the rules there's no way he could've realistically signed with the Sox for less than $10 million. Ozzie hated him and he was a selfish player. He can be the leading AL out maker some place else, and he can benefit from a team that doesn't put much value on defense.

I read the other day that some analyst reviewed every play and he had the most missed plays of any SS in baseball with 86.

Thank goodness, for now at least. I think BA is a lock to make the team because he provides some speed, some pop from the right side, and is our best defensive outfielder.

How about we put Kroeger out in CF for a while and see how he does? I guarantee he's better then Owens defensively, and probably Wise as well.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
ah yes the inevitable "The organization (aka Kenny Williams) wants jerry owens to play CF, but he sucks so we can't keep him there" article. I love KW and think he's a great GM who makes alot of astute moves, but i'm gonna criticize him a bit here, because I think this is all his doing. He didn't pursue a CF after we dealt Swisher (though I blame Ozzie for swishers departure), because he liked what we had. We have jack there. There is absolutely 0 excuse to not look at Alexei there now, especially now that it appears that SS isn't quite his "natural" position and CF might be. I'm still worried Owens will be handed this job, as ozzies comments certainly look like he is trying to light a flame under his butt to go out and win it.

How could you possibly know that this is the case?

You can't.

I'm not happy with CF either, but he probably looked into other options. Can't know for sure, but, it makes ense.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 07:50 PM)
How about we put Kroeger out in CF for a while and see how he does? I guarantee he's better then Owens defensively, and probably Wise as well.

Second time, same thread... how could you possibly know this? Have you seen Kroeger play CF?

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see him out there for a few games too, and MAYBE he's good out there. Or maybe he's not.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
Second time, same thread... how could you possibly know this? Have you seen Kroeger play CF?

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see him out there for a few games too, and MAYBE he's good out there. Or maybe he's not.

Owens is by far one of the worst defensive outfielders I have seen. He's got an arm worse than both Pierre and Dammon, he gets worse reads than both Soriano and Ramirez, he takes TERRIBLE angles, and most importantly, I am pretty sure he doesn't have a clue as to what he is doing out there. You don't need to be good defensively to be better than Owens. And from what I have seen so far, Kroeger has at least some speed and his arm is better, and from watching him the corners, you can tell he gets much better reads. Small sample size, but he'd be a helluva lot better than Owens. That doesn't mean he'd be good though.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 07:59 PM)
Owens is by far one of the worst defensive outfielders I have seen. He's got an arm worse than both Pierre and Dammon, he gets worse reads than both Soriano and Ramirez, he takes TERRIBLE angles, and most importantly, I am pretty sure he doesn't have a clue as to what he is doing out there. You don't need to be good defensively to be better than Owens. And from what I have seen so far, Kroeger has at least some speed and his arm is better, and from watching him the corners, you can tell he gets much better reads. Small sample size, but he'd be a helluva lot better than Owens. That doesn't mean he'd be good though.

Yeah, there's no way Owens has the worst arm in baseball.

And from a few televised spring innings (maybe 4 to 6 putouts) you've managed to grade Josh Kroeger's reads? You're a savant.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 07:59 PM)
Owens is by far one of the worst defensive outfielders I have seen. He's got an arm worse than both Pierre and Damon, he gets worse reads than both Soriano and Ramirez...

No... just no.

I'm not an Owens fan, but let's not get carried away to try and make a point.

NOBODY in the known universe has a worse throwing arm than Pierre.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 07:51 PM)
How could you possibly know that this is the case?

You can't.

I'm not happy with CF either, but he probably looked into other options. Can't know for sure, but, it makes ense.

you are correct....i should have said he didnt address the position, but alot of the conjecture (and it may have just been words) from KW said he was happy with the guys we had there....either way it was a huge hole, and CF along with back up catcher are two spots im rather upset weren't addressed...simply because we dont even have major league calibur players at those positions IMO

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 08:07 PM)
Yeah, there's no way Owens has the worst arm in baseball.

And from a few televised spring innings (maybe 4 to 6 putouts) you've managed to grade Josh Kroeger's reads? You're a savant.

Please, I never said I've got a good read on Kroeger as a defender. All I said is that I can tell he would be a better defender then Owens.

As for his arm, yeah, it is one of the worst. Maybe not the worst, but honestly, it's on par with the Pierre's and Damon's of the League. He doesn't even have good throwing mechanics. It's like no one ever taught him how to play baseball and one day after his UCLA football playing days were over, he managed to fool some scout into signing him.

I know it doesn't matter now, but in 2005 in B'ham, he hit .330 and stole a ton of bases leading off. He either won Barons MVP or the SL batting title or both, I forget. Anyway, I'm surprised he's not achieved some bit of that success since.

I just want to say that there's no f***ing way BRENT LILLIBRIDGE is going to be our leadoff hitter. Seriously that simply cannot and will not happen.

It'll either be Owens or Getz, and I'm hoping to god it isn't Owens

Gee, he's hitting .194, with 4 SINGLES and 0 stolen bases on the spring. Wow, I just got a huge sense of deja vu, I could've sworn I'd seen this before

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Mar 11, 2009 -> 12:22 AM)
I just want to say that there's no f***ing way BRENT LILLIBRIDGE is going to be our leadoff hitter. Seriously that simply cannot and will not happen.

I agree with all of this except for the part where it definitely can happen, and should not be ruled out. If Lillibridge starts hitting, he’s a fantastic option as a leadoff man.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 10, 2009 -> 11:28 PM)
I agree with all of this except for the part where it definitely can happen, and should not be ruled out. If Lillibridge starts hitting, he’s a fantastic option as a leadoff man.

how many of you think brent lillibridge is going to all of the sudden figure it out, and then translate this new-found hitting ability (in spring training) to the major leagues as a professional leadoff hitter

yeah, i'll go ahead and put my money on it definitely not happening