16 year old hitting 500 ft homers...

southsider2k5

That's pretty awful that pro sports teams are making a 16 year old kid play 125 baseball games a year. My guess is he burns himself out on the sport by the time he's 19 and fills that void with a cocktail of drugs that would make Josh Hamilton squirm.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
That's pretty awful that pro sports teams are making a 16 year old kid play 125 baseball games a year. My guess is he burns himself out on the sport by the time he's 19 and fills that void with a cocktail of drugs that would make Josh Hamilton squirm.

I think the money and the dream of being in the big leagues will keep the kid plenty entertained.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 18, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
So when your sig says "don't try this at home", are you referring to his elbow that he's about to destroy, or the fact that he's balking?

While balking is certainly dangerous, I just think that a shredded elbow and multiple surgeries is much less fun.

At WWS in Wheaton the center field (not sure if they have redone the field) wall when I went there was 475...there was a kid that used to knock them over that I think he was a sophmore at the time...he ended up getting drafted by the tigers but I dont think it ever panned out.....or he chose to go another direction

but those bombs were amazing

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
I coached travel baseball teams from my hometown in the summers and one year we went to a tournament in Cooperstown. We were a really good team, I mean we lost two games the entire summer. We had some big kids, too. One was 6-feet, but lanky. So we thought we would be competitive there and we were, but we got blown out by one team from Texas who had a kid 6-2, built with facial hair. Seriously, these kids were 12 and 13 and this kid was enormous. He won the HR derby and set a record for most HRs and hit moon shots. Funniest thing is that kid has nothing on this kid. I still can't imagine how big kids are getting at such a young age. Why is this kid catching? If his future is hitting, why hurt his knees. It's already stunted Mauer's growth.

I got to play in the tournement, I had a blast. Do you mind if I ask what team you coached? I played for Wasco if you have heard of us.

/threadjack.