South Regional

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Western Kentucky shoots a ton of 3s which gives me some concern because our perimeter defense isn't as strong without Frazier. And I really don't like us that much vs. Gonzaga without Frazier because I think our guards will struggle keeping Pargo out of the paint. Basically with Illinois this year though it comes down to whether we hit our jump shots, we do that we are a very good team. When we don't we can lose to just about anyone.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
Michigan is rightfully in. Gaels should be in over Wildcats.

Two losses to Wisconsin, one to Penn State, they lost to Iowa, and barely beat Savannah freakin State. Yes, they beat Duke and UCLA early in the season, but they finished 9-9 in the Big Ten.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
Two losses to Wisconsin, one to Penn State, they lost to Iowa, and barely beat Savannah freakin State. Yes, they beat Duke and UCLA early in the season, but they finished 9-9 in the Big Ten.

While they beat Duke, they also lost to them.

I think Illinois got a good draw here. Going out west to start sucks, but they got a 5 seed when I thought they would get a 6 or even a 7 due to Frazier being hurt, and no matter how it plays out, they will have to beat two mid majors to get to the sweet 16. Gonzaga is a traditional choker this time of year, but I still think this is the most talented them they've had since their elite 8 team a decade ago. If there was ever a draw that Illinois could manufacture into a sweet 16 berth, this is it (although Carolina would blow them out.) I think Carolina will win this region though, I think they got a great draw here, although I would love to see Butler get past LSU because they always give really good teams major problems. And I think Wisconsin was the Big 10 team that didn't deserve to be in and got in anyways (other than Penn State, who is correctly in the NIT), Michigan deserved to be in the field.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 09:12 PM)
Are you sure you arent just trying to see the sunshine on a cloudy day? Gonzaga is a pretty terrible draw for Ill.

Gonzaga's recent hot play has been against an awful conference. The one time they stepped out of the league, Memphis (who I still question), kicked their ass. Having to play out west isn't a great deal, but I was expecting Illinois to be a 6 or 7 and have to play Duke in Greensboro or Villanova in Philly in the 2nd round or something of that nature if they even got past whoever their first round opponent would have been in that scenario. So in relationship to my expectations, yes this is a great draw.

I love our draw here. We hadn't had much hope entering the tourney, but WKU isn't exactly a great 12 seed. If we lose, it'll be because of ourselves. Tisdale should be able to feast, and they'll also being showing a zone versus us. The Zags out in Portland isn't too much fun, but we would definitely have a chance. Their resume outside of beating on WCC opponents is not exactly great.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)
I love our draw here. We hadn't had much hope entering the tourney, but WKU isn't exactly a great 12 seed. If we lose, it'll be because of ourselves. Tisdale should be able to feast, and they'll also being showing a zone versus us. The Zags out in Portland isn't too much fun, but we would definitely have a chance. Their resume outside of beating on WCC opponents is not exactly great.

Yeah really the only thing that scares me against WKU is that we go into one of our prolonged shooting slumps. Gonzaga is one of the most talented teams in the country but they haven't played well against good competition this year. It will be interesting and I would love to make the Sweet 16 to get our beat down from UNC.