Getz #6, Fields #8 on list of Top 30 "breakout"

caulfield12

candidates...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...yers/index.html

Good to see Josh and especially Getz getting some early recognition for their efforts. Let's hope that ST doesn't turn out to be a mirage for both of these guys and they can carry forward their successes from AZ into the regular season.

Some other familiar names on this list, like Javy Vazquez.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 04:03 AM)
candidates...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...yers/index.html

Good to see Josh and especially Getz getting some early recognition for their efforts. Let's hope that ST doesn't turn out to be a mirage for both of these guys and they can carry forward their successes from AZ into the regular season.

Some other familiar names on this list, like Javy Vazquez.

While I enjoy the Sox love, Werth at 23, and Votto at 30, make this list laughable at best. :lolhitting

I think it's kind of relative...not meaning a ranking of those players in order in terms of talent, ability or what numbers they'll put up in 2009, but more in terms of "shock value," players many haven't heard of or don't know much about putting up some gaudy statistics. Fields has been out of the limelight for over a year, so I'm sure many Fantasy League drafters tend to forget about you when you spend an entire year in AAA and a very lousy one at that...of course, if they knew he was injured and studied a little further, it's not hard to understand why some are now expecting bigger things out of Fields than they did 6 weeks ago.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
Why the hell would Votto breaking out be laughable? The kid can flat-out hit. And in no way, will i be suprised if Fields takes this league by storm.

I think he meant those two should have been higher on the list???? But they were both pretty good players last year so....

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 06:57 AM)
I think it's kind of relative...not meaning a ranking of those players in order in terms of talent, ability or what numbers they'll put up in 2009, but more in terms of "shock value," players many haven't heard of or don't know much about putting up some gaudy statistics. Fields has been out of the limelight for over a year, so I'm sure many Fantasy League drafters tend to forget about you when you spend an entire year in AAA and a very lousy one at that...of course, if they knew he was injured and studied a little further, it's not hard to understand why some are now expecting bigger things out of Fields than they did 6 weeks ago.

He seems to be making better contact, yesterday notwithstanding. I'm hoping the laser surgery is making a big difference too. :)

What do they mean by 'breakout'? I mean Corey Hart at number 2, he had a good season last year, I can see him hitting for better avg and increasing production some but he brokeout last year.

Votto of course should be higher and Maybin should even be on this list imo.

Other than that its solid.

Between Ramirez's arm and wild/sailing throws and Josh, Konerko might come close to earning part of that $13 million offensively and DEFENSIVELY this season...and yet another reason why Josh Kroeger couldn't make the team, he's a butcher at 1B...certainly nothing like Ross Gload.

QUOTE (4 points @ Apr 4, 2009 -> 04:25 AM)
While I enjoy the Sox love, Werth at 23, and Votto at 30, make this list laughable at best. :lolhitting

Gotta agree there.

I don't think Werth is going to be anymore than what he was last year.

Votto on the other hand, should provide 30-100 type numbers with a very good average.

I hope Fields breaks out, not only for the Sox, but, I just dropped Crede for Fields in my fantasy league. I read a few reports that Joe had a rough spring and that Josh is doing really well so I made the move.

Uh oh. Hasn't anybody told you rule one of talk radio and message boards? Nobody gives a flip about your fantasy team. Except you, of course.

GO SOX!

p.s. That would be a neat story if Fields turned into a slugger this season. Bashing home run after home run.