Minor League Catch-All thread 2009 edition

southsider2k5

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure which of the twitter crew was twittering about Gartrell but I saw the tweets from his agent and have reached out to try and get an interview set-up. Thanks to whomever it was that was doing the direct tweets. PM me and you obviously have dibs on doing the interview :)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)
Not sure which of the twitter crew was twittering about Gartrell but I saw the tweets from his agent and have reached out to try and get an interview set-up. Thanks to whomever it was that was doing the direct tweets. PM me and you obviously have dibs on doing the interview :)

If you guys want interviews with Barons' players, I can get that done, just ask.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
I just saw that Birmingham has more season ticket holders per capita than any other city in the US. Thought it kind of odd, unless they have some other sports teams there, I don't know.

The Barons are the only pro team here. Now, the season tickets for Alabama/Auburn football dwarfs the Barons. In fact, that's the only thing most people care about down here. Nick Saban can't fart without it being on the front page of newspaper.

You guys wanna hear something that'll blow your minds? They're building a dome stadium/multi-purpose facility with tax dollars, without any major tenants to generate revenue. The Barons aren't moving, there's an abundance of parking at Regions Park, whereas there would be a parking nightmare in downtown Birmingham. We have a 10% sales tax in B'ham and get this...we already have a dome stadium/multi-purpose facility that is empty most of the year and doesn't generate hardly any revenue. Nobody wants to go to downtown B'ham, and that is why the suburbs and metro areas have grown so much the past 25 years. Google "Larry Langford," it'll make your head spin what you read about him. Just for fun, check out "Richard Scrushy" and the "Birmingham City Council."

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 10:30 PM)
The Barons are the only pro team here. Now, the season tickets for Alabama/Auburn football dwarfs the Barons. In fact, that's the only thing most people care about down here. Nick Saban can't fart without it being on the front page of newspaper.

You guys wanna hear something that'll blow your minds? They're building a dome stadium/multi-purpose facility with tax dollars, without any major tenants to generate revenue. The Barons aren't moving, there's an abundance of parking at Regions Park, whereas there would be a parking nightmare in downtown Birmingham. We have a 10% sales tax in B'ham and get this...we already have a dome stadium/multi-purpose facility that is empty most of the year and doesn't generate hardly any revenue. Nobody wants to go to downtown B'ham, and that is why the suburbs and metro areas have grown so much the past 25 years. Google "Larry Langford," it'll make your head spin what you read about him. Just for fun, check out "Richard Scrushy" and the "Birmingham City Council."

I assume high school football is really big down there as well, correct?

Scouting the SAL on Twitter is dropping knowledge like so many coins at a toll booth.

Josh Phegley of the White Sox is the 2nd best catcher I've seen this year behind Federowicz.

1 minute ago from TwitterBerry

Dexter Carter cruises through the Second for the White Sox.

11 minutes ago from TwitterBerry

Dexter Carter of the White Sox - FB 87-91 FB, 76-78 CB.

16 minutes ago from TwitterBerry

The Newman family has a new favorite player. Dexter Carter of the White Sox threw my son his warm up ball.

40 minutes ago from TwitterBerry

No Jared Mitchell for the White Sox.

about 1 hour ago from TwitterBerry

That was the 1st inning velocity. He pretty much pitches in the 92-94 range and can top out at 95-96 so I'd say the report we got was relatively consistent. Although I have read a lot of places about how he's pitching into the mid 90's more often.

You also don't know the speed of the gun. Sometimes guns are fast, sometimes they are slow.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 11:01 PM)
Buster Posey has put up some awesome numbers in the minors. The future is bright in San Francisco.

He and SF are making alot of people look stupid so far. Many scouts, analyst, and many people here (inc. myself) thought he was picked way too high/alot higher than he was projected to fall. SF scouts saw something in him to think otherwise, and so far.. he's showing what they saw.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 09:51 PM)
He and SF are making alot of people look stupid so far. Many scouts, analyst, and many people here (inc. myself) thought he was picked way too high/alot higher than he was projected to fall. SF scouts saw something in him to think otherwise, and so far.. he's showing what they saw.

Wait, I don't think anyone thought Posey was going to fall to the Sox pick. I remember gushing over the thought of Posey falling, in fact, Posey "fell" to the Giants IIRC. Jason Castro was the catcher everyone was surprised went as high as he did (to the Astros). Castro has been exceptional in the minors thus far as well.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 12:55 AM)
Wait, I don't think anyone thought Posey was going to fall to the Sox pick. I remember gushing over the thought of Posey falling, in fact, Posey "fell" to the Giants IIRC. Jason Castro was the catcher everyone was surprised went as high as he did (to the Astros). Castro has been exceptional in the minors thus far as well.

God damn Jas you are correct. I had them both confused. It was Castro. He is the one who is making alot of people look stupid so far.

Edited by SoxAce

Disregard my post in the 7/19 games thread, I didn't notice the Greene promotion.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
I barely noticed Corley's numbers. Man, there sure were a ton of dominant pitchers on that team.

I had actually noticed him and put him in my Top 30, but, I really hate that he was promoted over Remenowsky. Makes no sense to me.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 04:57 PM)
Disregard my post in the 7/19 games thread, I didn't notice the Greene promotion.

I had actually noticed him and put him in my Top 30, but, I really hate that he was promoted over Remenowsky. Makes no sense to me.

They are probably just waiting for that futuresox interview with him before they make any further moves :cheers