A message for K.W.?

Soxpranos

It's pretty sad that after one game, this crap is starting up in the media. KW and Ozzie have no one to blame but themselves. KW should have seen what he had in the organization and found a suitable CF, and no one is forcing Ozzie to bat Wise in the leadoff spot.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 05:43 PM)
Randy Winn maybe?

He will be getting moved at some point this season, he is a good player on team making a run for the post season. I cannot see him sticking around given the fact he one of the very last players (older) left in the giants youth movement. Defensively he is a plus defender on the corners... especially right field. He is also not a slouch in center. The problem is.. he is owed 8.25 million this season with a no trade clause of ten teams.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 03:46 AM)
That is scary that you say CQ had a bad spring as well. That would really suck if he was not the CQ of a year ago. Actually we could not survive that. Our lineup will be toast without CQ being CQ of last yar.

From the games I saw in ST, Quentin's bat speed was significantly down and he was rolling over on a lot of pitches. He put a great swing on the ball in the 9th inning tonight, but it seemed like the ball didn't fly off of his bat like he did last season.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
Whoopsy.

Hmm, well I wonder what other names are out there - CFs who can hit a ton and are nearing a payday. Anyone help?

Really only 2 players I think you consider in free agency is Dave Roberts and Podsednik, give them a minor league contract and see where it goes from there. No harm in trying.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 04:56 AM)
Really only 2 players I think you consider in free agency is Dave Roberts and Podsednik, give them a minor league contract and see where it goes from there. No harm in trying.

Scott Podsednik is not a CF. Will people please stop mentioning him as a possibility!!!!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
Someone like Frank Catalanotto five years ago would have been perfect, if he could actually play CF adequately.

That's the problem...there are a lot of corner outfielders that can give you decent numbers offensively, but the combination of the range and defensive ability AND the 350+ OBP is much harder to come by. It doesn't even have to be a player with blinding speed (and BA definitely isn't that), but then the leadoff issue comes up in combination, we've been talking about this over and over and over again for months with no easy solutions.

I'm sure that quote was taken out of context...and made to look more dramatic. It was probably something along the lines of he was the best of the FEW/LIMITED options immediately available and they weren't ready to move Getz up until he got his feet under him and a little confidence to start the season.

Catalanotto is available (at least he was) and he batted well over .300 this spring. :D

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
This fanbase just HAS to have someone on the team to attack. Disgusting.

actually it's pretty normal. I have absolutely no doubt that every fan base has one player on the team that they can't stand for any number of reasons.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 11:15 PM)
Catalanotto is available (at least he was) and he batted well over .300 this spring. :D

If the White Sox signed him to play CF, I'm fairly confident the White Sox would have the worst OF defense in the major leagues this year, and maybe of all time. If Wise has to play, move him down in the order. Let BA play, but don't have him leadoff.

I still don't know why the White Sox seem to insist the CF must lead off.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 11:21 PM)
If the White Sox signed him to play CF, I'm fairly confident the White Sox would have the worst OF defense in the major leagues this year, and maybe of all time. If Wise has to play, move him down in the order. Let BA play, but don't have him leadoff.

Thankfull even the sox would not hand over the job to someone who has not played center in their entire professional baseball career.

Another idea would be Nate McLouth...but that would come at a very heavy price to our minor league organizational depth, as we would be trading out of severe desperation.

Thought this was kind of funny:

Ryan Sweeney is a very good athlete who should hit for more power than he does, but his swing isn't geared for tapping into his raw ability, and he may wind up being just a guy who struggles to hit 10 homers at the big-league level because of the lack of loft in his stroke. He hit .286 last year despite battling a bunch of hand and wrist problems, so perhaps a little more health will create a little more pop, but don't bet on it. He doesn't hit lefties well at all, but he should continue to have part of the center-field job in at least the better side of a platoon arrangement.

www.espn.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 11:21 PM)

I was kidding. He can't play CF, but he can still hit.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 10:56 PM)

Dave Roberts unofficially retired from baseball, he's already doing radio work for the Padres.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 08:20 AM)
I wonder if Zona would be interested in deal Eric Byrnes?? I have been a big fan of how he plays... absolute "grinder".

I'm sure they'd be happy to take back the prospect that they dealt away after they signed Byrnes to that extension.