Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 05:56 PM)
A couple thoughts on the draft......Vonte Davis is a stretch to be selected in the first round. I watched him alot the past two years and although he is really physically gifted he got burned plenty out there. He is gonna be more of a project then people think

There is a reason they have position coaches in the NFL, I am not worried about them being able to get the best out of Vontae and I absolutely love the pick.

We needed secondary, we got secondary. We have to face Moss and Owens twice a year, you take the best CB in the draft when he falls to your spot at 25. It was great value, and filled a need. I dont think he is going to be that much of a project, he needs to be coached up, and he will with this teams coaching presence.

Oh, and we got Sean Smith which is also very kick ass.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
There is a reason they have position coaches in the NFL, I am not worried about them being able to get the best out of Vontae and I absolutely love the pick.

We needed secondary, we got secondary. We have to face Moss and Owens twice a year, you take the best CB in the draft when he falls to your spot at 25. It was great value, and filled a need. I dont think he is going to be that much of a project, he needs to be coached up, and he will with this teams coaching presence.

Oh, and we got Sean Smith which is also very kick ass.

Malcolm Jenkins was the best CB in the draft. But I love Davis fwiw.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 08:28 PM)
Some team could get a steal with Michael Johnson still on the board. At the very least, he'll be great for helping to block kicks.

If Michael Johnson is still there at #68, I'd love to pick him up. He'd be a great value in the 3rd round. And if our "biggest free agent" (aka Marinelli) is as good as Angelo and Lovie think, he'll be able to turn Johnson into a pretty good player.

Though, while I'd love picking up M. Johnson, I prefer Rashad Johnson. I think he'd have a better chance at making an immediate impact than the other Johnson would with Brown/Ogunleye/Anderson/Idonije all vying for playing time at DE.

My Top 4 Big Board to start the 3rd round would consist of:

Rashad Johnson - S - Alabama

Michael Johnson - DE - GT

Jamon Meredith - OT - South Carolina

DJ Moore - CB - Vanderbilt

I would be very happy with any of these guys at 68.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 08:29 AM)
The Bears just took a 3-4 DE or DT in Jarron Gilbert from San Jose State.

He's 6'5 285. I'm not sure why. Hopefully this is another 2nd day gem from Angelo.

Dvorcek sucks and can't stay healthy, need to take some pressure off Tommie Harris. I like the pick, especially with all the FAs on the D-Line.

they announced him as a DT....interesting....I really really thought DE was our biggest need.... I imagine this guy will fill the Idonije role of playing inside and outside as his contract is up after this year

Edited by daa84

The Bengals are having a great draft IMO. Michael Johnson is of ridiculous value this late, I think Andre Smith will be a good player, and I love Maualuga. Hopefully all these guys stay level-headed and don't become thugs like you do when you go to Cincinnati.

From ESPN.com-

Gilbert projects as an explosive, one-gap upfield player who can disrupt plays in the backfield. He arguably has the most potential out of all the defensive tackle prospects in this class. He's quick and fluid for a 288-pound player. He's 6-5, so he can add more weight to his frame. That said, he needs to get stronger and improve his ability to anchor. We?re also concerned about his inconsistent effort.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 07:33 AM)
they announced him as a DT....interesting....I really really thought DE was our biggest need.... I imagine this guy will fill the Idonije role of playing inside and outside as his contract is up after this year

I agree completely. We definitely needed to address the DL (DE and DT), and it looks like we got a guy who could potentially play either position, which makes me believe he'll also be a pretty valuable special teams player with that versatility. And you know that interested the Bears considering the emphasis they put on guys who can also contribute on special teams.

We will see what the Bears do, but my guess is that he plays both DE/DT depending on the situation. If he can be solid at two positions thats a pretty good pick up in the third round. It seems that WR's are falling so Im glad they didnt reach just to fill a need.

A lot of Wisconsin defensive players being drafted in this round, that has to be on measurables because they didnt play that great this year.

Good luck in Oakland Matt Shaughnessy, and good luck in Detroit DeAndre Levy.

In other news, we're at 81 here, which means 19 picks until the Bears pick at 99. Derrick Williams, Rashad Johnson, Duke Robinson, and Juaquin Iglesias are all still here. VERY NICE!! *borat voice*

What are the Lions doing? They still haven't addressed the CB, DE, DT, OG, OC, or OT position. Drafting another WR in Derrick Williams after they gave Bryant Johnson $3 per year for 3 years and already have Calvin Johnson? LOL

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Apr 26, 2009 -> 09:05 AM)
Good luck in Oakland Matt Shaughnessy, and good luck in Detroit DeAndre Levy.

In other news, we're at 81 here, which means 19 picks until the Bears pick at 99. Derrick Williams, Rashad Johnson, Duke Robinson, and Juaquin Iglesias are all still here. VERY NICE!! *borat voice*

What are the Lions doing? They still haven't addressed the CB, DE, DT, OG, OC, or OT position. Drafting another WR in Derrick Williams after they gave Bryant Johnson $3 per year for 3 years and already have Calvin Johnson? LOL

I think the Lions have had a good draft. You can only draft so much for need because many times there isn't a player at your spot that fits your style of play or is good enough. Williams could be a good compliment to Calvin and you gotta get players for your new QB to throw to.