Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

I can't believe there was actually just an argument downplaying the importance of the line, be it defensive or offensive. Cornerbacks and linebackers are the equivalent of skill position on offense. Without a line, usually they're basically worthless unless you're an obvious exception to the rule like Champ Bailey - and oh by the way, Denver still had an atrocious defense last year.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 07:36 AM)
Last night on the radio John Clayton said that no one has had a worse offseason than Josh McDaniels. He downgraded from Cutler to Orton, didnt address any of the team needs through the draft, traded away future picks. He was quite critical of young Josh

That is funny. For the two minutes I listened to Mike and Mike, some guy was praising Josh McDaniels for getting the RB he got because he did not like Cutler and therefore he got the better of the trade....

Jerry Angelo was on Waddle and Silvy and sounded way more receptive to potentially moving Tillman to FS and Urlacher from the middle to outside LB as their careers go on than Lovie did a few months ago. Thought that was interesting...though I do think we might see Corey Graham play some FS this upcoming season.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 05:36 AM)
Last night on the radio John Clayton said that no one has had a worse offseason than Josh McDaniels. He downgraded from Cutler to Orton, didnt address any of the team needs through the draft, traded away future picks. He was quite critical of young Josh

After seeing the Broncos not draft a QB, perhaps the worst part for the Broncos is the part that won't hit them until next offseason...barring a miracle sitting somewhere on their bench, they're in the "Orton or nothing" boat next offseason. Orton's an unrestricted FA. Let's say he starts off the season well. If the Broncos don't offer him a big time deal, he can play out the season and they're virtually forced to give him the franchise tag, guaranteeing him at least $15 million over the next year, because they can't afford to let Orton walk and be left with Chris Simms now that they have no other drafted QB.

It's the same mess the Bears were going to be stuck in...offering way too much money to a QB because he's the only option on their roster or going through next year's offseason totally desperate for a QB.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 10:02 AM)
I also believe the Broncos traded their first rounder next year and not the pick they received from the Bears.

Either Josh McDaniels is going to be the biggest surprise ever, or he's going to be known as the biggest idiot ever. On par with Jim Bowden. I'm going with the latter.

The Bears also signed Northwestern WR Eric Peterman. They have scheduled tryouts with Mizzou backup QB Chase Patton and NCAA all-time percentage leader for kickers, Jeff Wolfert. Patton was an Elite 11 QB out of high school and is hoping to pull a Cassel. Wolfert doesn't have a big leg, but is consistent.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
:lol: Kyle is dying.. cause of the outstanding draft that Oakland made.

As a die hard Raider fan I'm blown away by their ability to draft. This has to be their greatest draft ever.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 05:36 AM)

I heard Schlereth blasting McDaniels today on the radio as well.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
As a die hard Raider fan I'm blown away by their ability to draft. This has to be their greatest draft ever.

I can't tell whether you are kidding or not (i think you are), because taking Heyward-Bey over Crabtree and then drafting Mitchell 4 rounds too early do not point to a great draft.

Which as a die hard KC Chiefs fan doesnt bother me at all

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 12:00 PM)
I heard Schlereth blasting McDaniels today on the radio as well.

I'll withhold judgment until I see the team on the field, he could well prove he knows the game better than me. But I have to think he's going to be treated like he's on a very short leash the next 2 seasons.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
The Bears also signed Northwestern WR Eric Peterman. They have scheduled tryouts with Mizzou backup QB Chase Patton and NCAA all-time percentage leader for kickers, Jeff Wolfert. Patton was an Elite 11 QB out of high school and is hoping to pull a Cassel. Wolfert doesn't have a big leg, but is consistent.

Most people who evaluated prospects had him rated higher than Daniels. Wasn't something like Mizzou went to the new system and Daniels had run the spread in HS so he got the early nod and never relinquished it?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
I can't tell whether you are kidding or not (i think you are), because taking Heyward-Bey over Crabtree and then drafting Mitchell 4 rounds too early do not point to a great draft.

Any positive comments for the Raiders right now should automatically be assumed to be sarcasm.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)

I am in fact a die hard Raiders fan and the team just makes me want to cry. Davis needs to pull a Wurtz.

I think Mel Kiper was offered a job by the Baltimore Colts in 1983 before they moved to Indianapolis. I could be wrong, but I think he makes more money doing what he does now than what he would make working for an NFL team.

He obviously is very arrogant, and nothing makes that more clear than the on-air argument he had with Colts Director of Football Operations Bill Tobin when the Colts took Marshall Faulk rather than a QB...Kiper said something like "that's why the Colts are picking 2nd every year and not contending for a Super Bowl."

But the guy knows his stuff, is recognized as the foremost commentator and expert on the draft, and while he is certainly wrong at times, he knows a hell of a lot more than anyone on this board (and probably more than many NFL executives) about players entering the draft.

So disagree with him all you want, and personally, I don't particularly care for the guy, but to claim he doesn't know his stuff is not in the least bit accurate.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
I am in fact a die hard Raiders fan and the team just makes me want to cry. Davis needs to pull a Wurtz.

Does he have a Rocky Wirtz-like heir to the Davis throne? Who takes over?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 05:35 PM)
He obviously is very arrogant, and nothing makes that more clear than the on-air argument he had with Colts Director of Football Operations Bill Tobin when the Colts took Marshall Faulk rather than a QB...Kiper said something like "that's why the Colts are picking 2nd every year and not contending for a Super Bowl."

The Colts took Trev Alberts over Trent Dilfer.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 27, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
Most people who evaluated prospects had him rated higher than Daniels. Wasn't something like Mizzou went to the new system and Daniels had run the spread in HS so he got the early nod and never relinquished it?

More or less that's right. Patton is tall and has a big arm, but isn't as mobile and isn't as accurate from 20 yards or less. Problem for Daniel is that he can't throw beyond 25 yards worth much in terms of NFL QBs.