Nick Adenhart Killed in Car Crash

Dick Allen

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
Just about all drunk drivers think they can drive fine. That's the problem. If you rarely encounter other cars in your area, that's great. But if you do, and even if it's the other driver, not you, making the dumb move, your ability to respond accordingly to protect yourself is going to be diminished if you've been drinking. You're asking for trouble. If you ever get in an accident while you're drunk, even if it isn't otherwise your fault, you could be in a very difficult situation.

I wouldn't waste the energy trying to explain this. He's just firing for effect anyway, best to ignore it.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
You are? Your comment in the ShamWow hooker thread disagrees with this comment. :D

Thats not fair, the original pictured posted in there were not the same as the ones that were later posted.. I was tricked into that one!

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 07:58 AM)
Your point regarding overreaction to the commonplace on account of celebrity is well taken. With all due respect, your rationalization of your drunk driving is not.

I'll venture to guess that the majority of drunk driving accidents involve drivers with attitudes similar to yours. I don't know you, and apologize for sounding so judgmental, but I highly doubt you're as different from the rest of us as you seem to imply. If I'm wrong, I apologize and congratulate you, but even if your conduct has and remains "victimless," your behavior is still unrepentently criminal.

Please reconsider, if not for your sake, then for your family's (and, in case we ever attend the same ballgame, my own). Peace.

No need to apologize, I understand what you are saying. However, like I already said, a lot of people are running red lights/messing with their radio/speeding. Thats not what I do, and I know people have a hard time believing it because they all say "Well thats what every person who drives drunk says" but I have been in the car with other friends who driving drunk and it really isn't the same. I guess it is criminal but then again I do a lot of criminal things so I don't really think that matters much.

And im not some alcoholic. If we ever were at the same ballgame you wouldn't need to worry because I wouldn't be drinking. The only time I ever drink ANYTHING is at the bar, other than that I don't touch alcohol.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
No need to apologize, I understand what you are saying. However, like I already said, a lot of people are running red lights/messing with their radio/speeding. Thats not what I do, and I know people have a hard time believing it because they all say "Well thats what every person who drives drunk says" but I have been in the car with other friends who driving drunk and it really isn't the same. I guess it is criminal but then again I do a lot of criminal things so I don't really think that matters much.

And im not some alcoholic. If we ever were at the same ballgame you wouldn't need to worry because I wouldn't be drinking. The only time I ever drink ANYTHING is at the bar, other than that I don't touch alcohol.

My one last attempt. Think Dante Stallworth. Even if the guy he killed was completely out of his mind by wandering into the street (I have no idea what actually happened), Stallworth is still in deep, deep trouble because he was legally intoxicated at the time of the accident. Good luck overcoming that fact in court. So, you might be the greatest driver in the world even when intoxicated, but if someone else does something stupid and causes an accident, the risk increases exponentially that you'll get some blame for it. And if someone is hurt and/or killed in the accident, I sure wouldn't want to be in that position.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
My one last attempt. Think Dante Stallworth. Even if the guy he killed was completely out of his mind by wandering into the street (I have no idea what actually happened), Stallworth is still in deep, deep trouble because he was legally intoxicated at the time of the accident. Good luck overcoming that fact in court. So, you might be the greatest driver in the world even when intoxicated, but if someone else does something stupid and causes an accident, the risk increases exponentially that you'll get some blame for it. And if someone is hurt and/or killed in the accident, I sure wouldn't want to be in that position.

Donte Stallworth hit some guy at like 7 in the morning, in Miami Beach, who was rushing across the street to catch a bus.

A police diagram shows that Reyes was struck in the far left lane of a six-lane road

Six lanes!!! Once again, I will repeat, driving where I live is not like it is in most places.. especially between 2-3 in the morning. Yes, I understand the risk involved and the consequences that can come from it.. but I honestly don't really care.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
Wow. Just wow.

You remind me of a poster we used to have... hmmm...

What?

You don't find it odd that a major league baseball player died in an '01 Mitsubishi Eclipse Convertible?

That is a high school parking lot car.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
What?

You don't find it odd that a major league baseball player died in an '01 Mitsubishi Eclipse Convertible?

A girl was driving

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
What?

all i'm saying, is if i were a major leaguer, i'd own a '97 mitsubishi eclipse (i love em). as well as something else. but it's really not that weird. especially since he's only been in the majors for a short time and is probably getting paid league minimum.

regardless. your sensitivity is stunning.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 12:22 AM)
I will not.

I am an excellent drunk driver, and when you see stories like this there is always a main cause (I.E. blowing through a red light) that is totally unnecessary.

Sorry, but I see no harm in driving 2 miles to my house from the bar at 2:30 in the morning when there is rarely a car in sight aside from people leaving the bar and cops, a lot of them, and I have never been pulled over. Why? Because I drive the speed limit, I stay in my lane, I don't run red lights or roll through stop signs.

There has only been one time in my life when I was too f***ed up and couldn't drive home and that was after getting hammered at the bar and then taking some colossal rips off the bong and even THEN I was smart enough to tell myself, while extremely f***ed up, that I was too gone to drive and I didn't. Other than that, I am a very coherent drunk..

You are a jack ass and you can't even see it,it only has to happen once and even if the accident is not your fault,just for the fact that you were drunk,you'll be the one held responsible.Stop driving drunk,if only to cover your own ass if you don't care about anyone else.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)
You are a jack ass and you can't even see it,it only has to happen once and even if the accident is not your fault,just for the fact that you were drunk,you'll be the one held responsible.Stop driving drunk,if only to cover your own ass if you don't care about anyone else.

Sorry, don't give a s***

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)
My condolences to the Adenhart family and the other victim's families,what a totally avoidable tragedy...I swear,the human race needs to cull some of it's dumber members.

Nice word bro

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
Bor-ass was over the top IMO!

I'm glad someone mentioned that. I thought he was faking to look good in the eyes of prospective clients to show that he cares. Sick to think this guy is trying to get a personal gain from this.

Why is it murder charges and not vehicular manslaughter? Doesn't murder involve the planning of killing someone? I do't think this guy went out and said "I'm going to go kill three people tonight," Or as he was blowing through the red light he decided he wanted to kill them. How fast was he going and how was he able to survive?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)
I'm glad someone mentioned that. I thought he was faking to look good in the eyes of prospective clients to show that he cares. Sick to think this guy is trying to get a personal gain from this.

That's a pretty cynical way to look at the world, when all you're running on is an assumption.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
That's a pretty cynical way to look at the world, when all you're running on is an assumption.

Maybe, but do you really believe Boras cares that much about Adenhart when he has tons of clients? I just find it impossible for him to have a strong enough relationship with all of them to weep uncontrollably.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
Why is it murder charges and not vehicular manslaughter? Doesn't murder involve the planning of killing someone? I do't think this guy went out and said "I'm going to go kill three people tonight," Or as he was blowing through the red light he decided he wanted to kill them. How fast was he going and how was he able to survive?

As far as I'm concerned, if you drive drunk, you have full intentions of killing someone, whether you actually do or not.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 03:53 AM)
As far as I'm concerned, if you drive drunk, you have full intentions of killing someone, whether you actually do or not.

Nah, that's not explicit enough for the phrase murder. It's not like vehicular manslaughter is a light charge. This guy is going to get f'd.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 12, 2009 -> 07:15 AM)
Nah, that's not explicit enough for the phrase murder. It's not like vehicular manslaughter is a light charge. This guy is going to get f'd.

The charge will likely be gross vehicle manslaughter while intoxicated under Cal Pen Code § 191.5. However, the California statute states:

This section shall not be construed as prohibiting or precluding a charge of murder under Section 188 upon facts exhibiting wantonness and a conscious disregard for life to support a finding of implied malice, or upon facts showing malice consistent with the holding of the California Supreme Court in People v. Watson, 30 Cal. 3d 290.
Cal Pen Code § 191.5(e).

At minimum this guy is facing 15 years with a maximum of life.

Edit: "malice" = intent

Edited by G&T

So if he gets convicted of all 6 charges will that be his first strike, or three?

T R U, your thoughts?