And that's a Corpse Ball loser!!

Steve9347

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
Ozzie managed a good game today...it's just Jenks is not very effective when it's not a save situation. This lineup just isn't going to work. Getz is a patient hitter but still better suited for the 9 spot in the order. The pitching looks great so far, but the offense is miserable. We were a bad managerial decision away from getting swept this series. KW...this mess is on you!

Before today jenks had a 3.02 era in 101.1 innings throughout his career in non save situations. Along with that he had a 1.273 whip, 8.9 k/9, and a 2.70 k/bb ratio.

Granted he is not as good as he is in save situations, there are closers out there that do much worse in non save situations.

Edited by qwerty

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
For sure.

I think we'll like this team better than the 08 team though. I think eventually, Getz is going to be a step up above Cabrera offensively, I think Fields will be a huge leap from what we've had at 3rd base, and I think we'll actually be healthier than we were last year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
OK, so... what are you saying?

personally i get so sick of everyone yelling "corpseball!" because we have a bad game offensively....qwertys response was correct, some people act like home runs are bad things...

im just so sick of people b****ing about "lift and pull" approaches, when we've won 3 division titles, a World Series, and have only had 1 losing season in the last 9 years, on the strength of hitting alot of home runs.....we do what we do, and thats hitting home runs. I wish we could get on base and have some guys with a bit higher averages, but this silly nonsensical belief that we would be better if we abandon being a home run team gets tiresome

The twins got shut out today too...pirahna ball must = corpseball as well

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)
I think we'll like this team better than the 08 team though. I think eventually, Getz is going to be a step up above Cabrera offensively, I think Fields will be a huge leap from what we've had at 3rd base, and I think we'll actually be healthier than we were last year.

Yeah, but that's not saying much. Cabrera certainly wasn't our biggest problem last year... our biggest problem (CF and leadoff) continues to be our biggest problem.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
Yeah, but that's not saying much. Cabrera certainly wasn't our biggest problem last year... our biggest problem (CF and leadoff) continues to be our biggest problem.

And I think Getz is an upgrade over Cabrera in that leadoff spot. It wasn't just the lack of output out of our CF slot that hurt us today. Ditto leadoff.

Edit: And I think our biggest problem last year was injuries quite simply.

Yes pretty much like the 2008 team, without the missing pitcher.

Sigh. Well, I'll go out and a limb here and say I can't blame KW or Ozzie for this because...

We're stuck with this lineup for now. Think about it: who are we gonna trade to get that leadoff speedster/CF/whatever? Konerko? Oof. Thome? Nope. That leaves Dye. And that's only if he has enough value to somebody to give up somebody to fill that hole.

We've tried here at the office over and over to "trade" our way into a team more like 2005 and we always fail because you run into that wall: you can't unload Thome/Konerko for the speed we need. Too much contract/money involved. What we did this year was essentially put younger guys around that same aging core, save for the Wise experiment in CF, which became necessary when Owens crashed and burned for the last time.

The only way I could see us landing a savior is if we packaged a starting pitcher, which I think KW is loathe to do, 'cause they're hard enough to come by.

Let's be fair though: the top and bottom of the order ain't doing s*** either, which just highlights the middle-order woes more.

On another note, yes: I too have noticed the bad team habit of taking fastballs straight down the pipe--that seem like cookies--yet swinging wildly at first pitch breaking balls and other junk. Ouch. Seen enough of that the last two years. Does Walker not see this?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)

We may like them better, but I'm not sure that they'll perform better. I would expect Quentin to have a moderate drop-off from last season (still good, but not MVP-good) and I wouldn't be surprised to see Alexei, Danks, and Floyd's numbers drop off slightly. And with Thome and Dye a year older, who knows.

The offense will obviously pick up at some point, but this series' theme of less production at the plate and better pitching could go on throughout the season.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
We may like them better, but I'm not sure that they'll perform better. I would expect Quentin to have a moderate drop-off from last season (still good, but not MVP-good) and I wouldn't be surprised to see Alexei, Danks, and Floyd's numbers drop off slightly. And with Thome and Dye a year older, who knows.

On the other hand...you took 4 young guys and said they all might drop off this year, except they all could get better as well given that they have more familiarity with the pitchers (alexei and Q), they may have added a pitch or two, and they're now a year closer to their prime age.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
We need a CF/lead off hitter badly. And Greg Walker...what the f*** are you doing? Can someone tell Alexei he's getting nothing but breaking balls from everyone in this division? Do you f***ign job Walk.

Agreed. The Sox can't afford an automatic out as a starter in this lineup. When the sluggers are cold, the Sox need a spark-plug type who can help manufacture some runs. Kinda like Pods did for the first couple of months of 2005. (I'm not talking about an Owens/Wise/Pierre low OBP/liability in the field type either.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
Nothing like Betemit staring at the good pitches and swinging at the bad ones.

Well, it's hard to sit on the bench for 27 innings in cold April weather and then hit off one of the five best closers in baseball.

The odds are not with Betemit...and we got lucky that Gordon muffed Ramirez's dribbler anyway. Considering we only led for an inning or so in 3 games, we're pretty fortunate we didn't get swept, no matter what Hawk says. It would have been interesting to see if we could have scored had that dropped ball at 2B not been called an out, that was ridonkulous.

At least there was a glimmer of hope with Quentin finally ripping a ball into the gap, that was encouraging.

I think Beckham might end up being a pretty decent leadoff hitter. Hits for average and gets on base, has some power, and has a little speed. I wonder if we didn't try too hard to acquire someone like Coco Crisp because of this?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
On the other hand...you took 4 young guys and said they all might drop off this year, except they all could get better as well given that they have more familiarity with the pitchers (alexei and Q), they may have added a pitch or two, and they're now a year closer to their prime age.

That very well could be. I'm still not convinced that Danks or Floyd can repeat what they did last year (although I'd love for them to prove me wrong). And it's tough to imagine Quentin putting up MVP-caliber numbers again. Out of those four, I'd say that Alexei has the best chance of improving.

Of course, most of this is an illogical gut feeling on my part, so who knows.