Wise to DL with Separated Shoulder/Anderson to Start in CF

Jimmywins1

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 10:06 PM)
KW really needs to address the CF situation sooner or later. I love BA and hope he gets a majority of the playing time, unfortanately he cant hit consistently. . .

How does anyone really know that Anderson cannot hit consistently. He would have to play consistently to show that and he hasn't for 3 years. People forget BA hit right about .300 in July and August of 2006 combined. His September was a trainwreck but his mind is better now. Let him get 5 or 6 starts a week for the next month or so. If he hits like Lillibridge, or Wise or Owens then we all will know once and for all BA is a 4th OF at best. The sad part is the White Sox have not prepared him to play everyday. I'm not making excuses, this is his shot, its up to him, but they have had plenty of opportunity to give him some more experience the past couple of seasons against RHP that wouldn't have hurt them in the standings even if he took an 0fer but didn't. I think he'll start off relatively slow but will get hot in a week or so, and the White Sox days of looking for a CF will be OVA.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 08:07 AM)
How does anyone really know that Anderson cannot hit consistently. He would have to play consistently to show that and he hasn't for 3 years. People forget BA hit right about .300 in July and August of 2006 combined. His September was a trainwreck but his mind is better now. Let him get 5 or 6 starts a week for the next month or so. If he hits like Lillibridge, or Wise or Owens then we all will know once and for all BA is a 4th OF at best. The sad part is the White Sox have not prepared him to play everyday. I'm not making excuses, this is his shot, its up to him, but they have had plenty of opportunity to give him some more experience the past couple of seasons against RHP that wouldn't have hurt them in the standings even if he took an 0fer but didn't. I think he'll start off relatively slow but will get hot in a week or so, and the White Sox days of looking for a CF will be OVA.

Thank you.

BA may never be able to hit well enough to be an everyday ML player, but he has never really had a legitimate chance. He was up in 2006 when he was not yet ready and it showed. Then, in 2007 he barely played in favor of Erstad and later Owens. And in 2008 he had like 10 AB's in the first 2 months. When you are a developing player, getting 4 AB's a week is not the way to prove yourself. BA has been grossly mishandled by this organization and never has been given a chance to succeed. Now, if he does not come through at this time it is on him, but we really can not use the past couple years as "proof" of his imminent failure.

Glad to see that BA will get a shot to show his stuff. Hopefully he gets to play regularly for at least a month - then I think we'll have a good picture of where he is at.

I have to say though, that rant I had earlier was sort of liberating, even if it was a gigantic overreaction.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 07:33 AM)
Glad to see that BA will get a shot to show his stuff. Hopefully he gets to play regularly for at least a month - then I think we'll have a good picture of where he is at.

I have to say though, that rant I had earlier was sort of liberating, even if it was a gigantic overreaction.

I thought it was great. Especially because of the size of the font you chose.

I was picturing you going Office Space on your printer.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 08:04 AM)
PC Load Letter??? WTF does that mean?!?!?!

No, not again. I... why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam? I swear to God, one of these days, I just kick this piece of s*** out the window.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
I don't think it is rushing judgement at all. Kenny Williams has a strong track record of jettisoning clubhouse cancers. Rick White made a comment to the media, then he was DFA'd the next day I believe. Jon Rauch, who at one time was a far better prospect than BA ever was, was gone because he had dinner with his family instead of hanging out with the team. Granted, Rauch wasn't the same guy he had been, but he was still a nice prospect. Lofton was also sent packing and rumors were that KW tried to find a deal for OC last season at the deadline. I'm sure there are other examples as well. If Brian was as big of a problem as has been reported in the media he'd have been long gone. I'm not saying he didn't have maturity issues that ticked some people off, but the whole thing has been way overblown.

You're completely sugar-coating the Rauch situation. He skipped out on a meeting with reporters at the end of the game and didn't show up to a meeting with Kenny. He intentionally thumbed his nose at the organization, which is about as unprofessional as it gets.

Look, I agree that BA should get more at-bats. At the very least, he provides Gold Glove-caliber defense in CF. The fact that he's still on the 25-man roster suggests that he's grown up at least a little since 2006. Given his strong spring, I was of the opinion that he should get the starting CF gig this year and be allowed to sink or swim. I have no idea why it took an injury to Wise for him to get there. If it's because Ozzie is in love with the concept of a speed guy at the leadoff spot (even one with a crappy OBP like Wise), then I agree that their handling of BA is stupid. If it's because BA still has maturity/work ethic issues or that his hitting hasn't improved, then I'm perfectly fine with BA getting (apparently) jerked around. The problem is that none of us know which it is.

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 01:28 AM)
Not bad for the guy that cant play defense, how long will it take Anderson to make the top 10 play of the Day?

Yes because the Sports Center top 10 plays of the day is how we grade defensive ability now a days, it actually wouldn't surprise me if that's how gold glove votes are determined, I'm sure Nate McLouth is falling down all the time. I can't remember the last time I saw them highlight an excellent jump and subsequent effortless grab in the gap in a highlight package or montage. Sammy Sosa falling down to catch a ball in right field after misreading it off the bat? I believe those were almost daily. Instincts don't make for the flashiest highlights. That being said, the play Wise made in the gap yesterday was excellent and I'm sure a much better/more important play than some of those ranked ahead of it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
Yes because the Sports Center top 10 plays of the day is how we grade defensive ability now a days, it actually wouldn't surprise me if that's how gold glove votes are determined, I'm sure Nate McLouth is falling down all the time. I can't remember the last time I saw them highlight an excellent jump and subsequent effortless grab in the gap in a highlight package or montage. Sammy Sosa falling down to catch a ball in right field after misreading it off the bat? I believe those were almost daily. Instincts don't make for the flashiest highlights. That being said, the play Wise made in the gap yesterday was excellent and I'm sure a much better/more important play than some of those ranked ahead of it.

Some NBA slam dunk was most likely number one or the Reed Johnson play from Sunday........I understand yesterday was Monday and it was Monday's plays of the day.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 10:29 AM)

Derek Jeter says hi

The reason BA is still a White Sox is because KW loves him. If Ozzie had to go away for a little while and KW had to manage the team, there is no question who would get the first shot in CF even with everyone healthy. For some reason, Ozzie and KW don't see eye to eye on BA, and KW to his credit lets his manager manage and doesn't tell him who to play. I'm hoping BA can quiet the naysayers. I'm sure plenty will be all over him if he fans his first AB today, but of all the White Sox younger OFs the last couple years, he's the most talented and has had the least amount of opportunity. I think he's a potential stud. I think he will hit enough. I just hope he can stay healthy.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 12:25 AM)
Its comical that you hate on Brian for sucking on offense, yet you pimp Brent who seems to strikeout in bunches as giving him pressure. Brent sure is fast, and has the tools and all. But he needs to hit the ball on the ground more, and make contact a whole hell of a lot more before he can get into the race. The only reason Lillibridge is up with the big team right now is that Nix got hurt in ST. Or he would be augmenting the AAA attack we have down there.

Brent went 1-6 w/ a double and 3 K's yesterday. I'm sure to most it felt like he had a much better game than that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
I'm hoping BA can quiet the naysayers. I'm sure plenty will be all over him if he fans his first AB today, but of all the White Sox younger OFs the last couple years, he's the most talented and has had the least amount of opportunity. I think he's a potential stud. I think he will hit enough. I just hope he can stay healthy.

I'm going on the record by saying I'm in complete agreement with this.