Wise to DL with Separated Shoulder/Anderson to Start in CF

Jimmywins1

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 08:07 PM)
We traded Reed for Freddy, Webster for Everett, Rowand for Thome, and Young for Javy Vazquez. Those were all no-brainers at the time IMO. We got the best player in each deal and each deal gave us a better chance of winning during a window of opportunity. I think all the MLB players acquired played a much bigger role in the decision to trade those players than BA's presence did. Also, the Sox could have looked for a stopgap alternative if they didn't want BA out there in 2006. Walker admitted later that BA wasn't ready, and everyone knew it, but Kenny didn't get an alternative. The Sox wanted BA to fail before they made changes, which apparently he wasn't very receptive to. This had all come after tons of comments that all BA had to do was play D, yet he still was trashed in the papers, and he still was made a scapegoat even though the offense wasn't the problem with the 2006 team, it was the bullpen, which Anderson actually helped by playing CF.

Any manager that tries to make up for bad pitching by adding offense and further weakening defense is an idiot. There was definitely a choice in the matter between starting Mackowiak for his bat and starting Anderson for his glove.

The Sox had forced themselves to be patient with BA because *they completely failed to develop him into an MLB-ready player.* Yet, they still trashed him in the media.

Negligible return? How do we know this? Josh Anderson just brought a halfway decent MR prospect and Anderson was a better prospect due to his power potential. If KW has shown us anything, it is that he is not afraid to flat out dump a bad clubhouse influence. He's not going to care about the return if he deems it necessary. If Kenny felt that BA wasn't worth his or Ozzie's time then he'd have taken a A-baller or two and called it a day.

Yes, we all figured Ozzie would platoon BA and Wise/Owens if BA got any time at all. However, it was supposed to have been a fair competition and once again it wasn't. Who cares what BA hit at the very beginning of spring? Why is that a factor? The final cuts were made very late and BA's numbers were there then. If anything, I'd much rather have a guy who is ending the spring on a high note anyway.

If anyone made Seattle look stupid it was Cooper, not Kenny. Kenny pulled the trigger and Coop did the actual work. Would you also say that St. Louis made Minnesota look stupid for giving up on Kyle Lohse? I wouldn't. The guy sucked, just like Thornton sucked in Seattle. He needed a fresh start and better advice from a better pitching coach, and he got it.

I think anytime you trade a lefty (reliever or starter) who throws 95-97 MPH pretty consistently, you're stupid. The Mets learned this lesson the hard way when they traded Kazmir for Zambrano.

As far as the Twins go, I give a lot more credit to their scouts/GM than to the development in the minors and Rick Anderson.

They really got into a situation where they mishandled Garza (even though Garza now admits he was immature, the club has to figure out the right way to get through to a player instead of just giving in or giving up)...they didn't get anything out of Lohse or Boof Bonser, either.

I'm not sure how much Liriano and Santana had success due to coaching and how much it was just pure ability/talent...Liriano hasn't shown the ability to adjust from just being a pure thrower with two dominant pitches to a "pitcher" with command of 3-4 pitches.

I will give them credit for developing Silva (after he was acquired from Philly), Slowey, Perkins and Blackburn. Their track record is better in terms of drafting and development (Blackburn, I think was a draft pick in the late 20's in terms of rounds where you don't usually expect much).

At least it appears its BA's job to lose. Per the Tribune:

By Mark Gonzales

DETROIT - Jerry Owens is scheduled to rejoin the White Sox before Tuesday's game at Detroit, but don't expect him to get an immediate shot at regaining the leadoff/center field job to Dewayne Wise in spring training.

The decision to purchase the contract of Owens, 28, who was 1-for-7 at Triple-A Charlotte, was made by general manager Ken Williams, according to manager Ozzie Guillen, after Wise was lost for at least six weeks after separating his right shoulder while making a diving catch of Ramon Santiago's drive.

But Brian Anderson, who drew two walks and stole two bases Monday, might get more of a shot at winning more playing time.

“Kenny made that decision because we need a center fielder right now," Guillen said of the Owens' promotion. "We’re going to start by keep playing with Brian. ... I have to see how (Owens) was doing because I don’t think he was doing too well in Triple-A, either.

"But when I got to the office, Kenny said (Owens) would be coming for the next couple of days and we'll see how he does. I need a true center field. Hopefully Brian does the job, if not, I’ll give Jerry a shot.’’

Williams and Guillen each expressed their disappointment that Owens didn't display more intensity during spring training, but both understood that Owens' personality isn't fiery.

Since the third game of the regular season, the center fielder no longer appears part of the leadoff picture. Guillen has employed Chris Getz at the leadoff spot, and speedy Brent Lillibridge ignited a four-run third inning rally with a leadoff double.

That's likely to remain in effect for a while unless Anderson can continue to reach base frequently and steal bases.

After the game, Wise returned to Chicago to undergo more tests.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 08:41 PM)
I think anytime you trade a lefty (reliever or starter) who throws 95-97 MPH pretty consistently, you're stupid. The Mets learned this lesson the hard way when they traded Kazmir for Zambrano.

As far as the Twins go, I give a lot more credit to their scouts/GM than to the development in the minors and Rick Anderson.

They really got into a situation where they mishandled Garza (even though Garza now admits he was immature, the club has to figure out the right way to get through to a player instead of just giving in or giving up)...they didn't get anything out of Lohse or Boof Bonser, either.

I'm not sure how much Liriano and Santana had success due to coaching and how much it was just pure ability/talent...Liriano hasn't shown the ability to adjust from just being a pure thrower with two dominant pitches to a "pitcher" with command of 3-4 pitches.

I will give them credit for developing Silva (after he was acquired from Philly), Slowey, Perkins and Blackburn. Their track record is better in terms of drafting and development (Blackburn, I think was a draft pick in the late 20's in terms of rounds where you don't usually expect much).

We traded Reed for Freddy, Webster for Everett, Rowand for Thome, and Young for Javy Vazquez. Those were all no-brainers at the time IMO. We got the best player in each deal and each deal gave us a better chance of winning during a window of opportunity.

This was the part of his response you should have taken to heart...instead of going off on this rant...which I have no idea what direction you were going. Point being...you said all these guys who were traded that played CF...and it really has/had no bearing on BA and occured at different times. Let's not forget the fact that if the DBacks take BA instead of Young...I'd pretty much guarantee you we don't have Quentin. So I think things worked out ok.

KW really needs to address the CF situation sooner or later. I love BA and hope he gets a majority of the playing time, unfortanately he cant hit consistently. . .

We need a long term solution out there. . I would even consider trading some of our highly touted prospects for Mr. 'untouchable' Mets prospect Fernando Martinez..

I'm sure they would ask for the moon. . but its worth a call.. .

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
At least it appears its BA's job to lose. Per the Tribune:

By Mark Gonzales

DETROIT - Jerry Owens is scheduled to rejoin the White Sox before Tuesday's game at Detroit, but don't expect him to get an immediate shot at regaining the leadoff/center field job to Dewayne Wise in spring training.

The decision to purchase the contract of Owens, 28, who was 1-for-7 at Triple-A Charlotte, was made by general manager Ken Williams, according to manager Ozzie Guillen, after Wise was lost for at least six weeks after separating his right shoulder while making a diving catch of Ramon Santiago's drive.

But Brian Anderson, who drew two walks and stole two bases Monday, might get more of a shot at winning more playing time.

“Kenny made that decision because we need a center fielder right now," Guillen said of the Owens' promotion. "We’re going to start by keep playing with Brian. ... I have to see how (Owens) was doing because I don’t think he was doing too well in Triple-A, either.

"But when I got to the office, Kenny said (Owens) would be coming for the next couple of days and we'll see how he does. I need a true center field. Hopefully Brian does the job, if not, I’ll give Jerry a shot.’’

Williams and Guillen each expressed their disappointment that Owens didn't display more intensity during spring training, but both understood that Owens' personality isn't fiery.

Since the third game of the regular season, the center fielder no longer appears part of the leadoff picture. Guillen has employed Chris Getz at the leadoff spot, and speedy Brent Lillibridge ignited a four-run third inning rally with a leadoff double.

That's likely to remain in effect for a while unless Anderson can continue to reach base frequently and steal bases.

After the game, Wise returned to Chicago to undergo more tests.

Translation: If BA doesn't go 4-4 with 2 hr's, 6 rbi's, and 2 SB he will be right back on the bench and JO will be given the job

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
Um, no.

Brian will get his chance. It's up to him to FINALLY take advantage.

I'll believe it when I see it. He should get the same shot wise got: 6 games, and I just don't see him even getting that before JO gets to flail around out there.

Good to see BA is finally going to get a shot to prove himself. Hopefully he takes advantage of it and we don't have to worry about CF for awhile, but, despite the fact that I love him, I doubt that happens.

This is all part of Deweeezy's plan. He wants this Anderson love fest crap to be done with. Just gave this opportunity as a gift to Brian. I just pray that this will be the end of "Brian's getting completely screwed over" comments. How many games does he need to play in the next 6 weeks for it to be considered a "true opportunity" by the Anderson jockers?

My prediction is that Brian will play the majority of games the next week or so, and then start to get some heat from Lillibridge. Little boots has made some changes, looks absolutely different from the majority of ST. If Brian ***** this up early on, I expect Brent to get time in CF and do well. One way or the other, this supposed lack of opportunity for Brian is no more. Now it's all about what the hell are you gonna do with it Anderson?

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 03:17 AM)
Translation: If BA doesn't go 4-4 with 2 hr's, 6 rbi's, and 2 SB he will be right back on the bench and JO will be given the job

:blink:

this is all becoming too much.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Apr 13, 2009 -> 11:59 PM)
This is all part of Deweeezy's plan. He wants this Anderson love fest crap to be done with. Just gave this opportunity as a gift to Brian. I just pray that this will be the end of "Brian's getting completely screwed over" comments. How many games does he need to play in the next 6 weeks for it to be considered a "true opportunity" by the Anderson jockers?

My prediction is that Brian will play the majority of games the next week or so, and then start to get some heat from Lillibridge. Little boots has made some changes, looks absolutely different from the majority of ST. If Brian ***** this up early on, I expect Brent to get time in CF and do well. One way or the other, this supposed lack of opportunity for Brian is no more. Now it's all about what the hell are you gonna do with it Anderson?

Its comical that you hate on Brian for sucking on offense, yet you pimp Brent who seems to strikeout in bunches as giving him pressure. Brent sure is fast, and has the tools and all. But he needs to hit the ball on the ground more, and make contact a whole hell of a lot more before he can get into the race. The only reason Lillibridge is up with the big team right now is that Nix got hurt in ST. Or he would be augmenting the AAA attack we have down there.