If Pods gets recalled, will Fields change his #?

Steve9347

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 8, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
It's ridiculous. Scott Podsednik is just simply not a good enough player to pull this s***, he's been a marginal ballplayer for the majority of his career, HE'S the guy that other should be giving up his number to a new acquired star, not the other way around. Just the fact that Podsednik was willing to ask our STARTING THIRD BASEMAN to kindly relinquish his number bothers me.

yeah but he did a walk off WS winner for us back in 05. I think that counts.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 8, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
I believe Fields had said he really didn't like the idea of wearing a former world series winners number who's back on the team...he said it didn't feel right. And no matter how bad Pods is, that's exactly right.

And let's stop pretending like Fields is a "star". He's not.

This gangrape soxtalk mentality for and against certain players is the most annoying thing about this place.

Fields can say whatever he wants in the press doesn't really matter. Podsednik was going to ask for his number back, he said as much before he was recalled, IMO you have to be more than a marginal ballplayer in order to get that sort of respect. It doesn't matter if Fields is a "star" he's the starting 3B and a better player than the washed up CF the Sox signed to a minor league deal a month back. It has nothing to do with any dislike I have for Podsednik, could be anyone. If Dustin Hermanson came back and wanted his old number I'd feel the same damn way and I was a fan of Dustin's.

And when Podsednik is gone a month from now (if Ozzie sticks to his word that's exactly what should happen) then our former 1st round pick and starting 3B will have given up his number to a 1 month replacement player.

QUOTE (WinningUgly85 @ May 8, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
yeah but he did a walk off WS winner for us back in 05. I think that counts.

Lets say Gordan Beckham gets called up next week and he takes number 27 because that's his number then we acquire Geoff Blum and the deadline is Blum getting his usual #27 from Beckham?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 8, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
Fields can say whatever he wants in the press doesn't really matter. Podsednik was going to ask for his number back, he said as much before he was recalled, IMO you have to be more than a marginal ballplayer in order to get that sort of respect. It doesn't matter if Fields is a "star" he's the starting 3B and a better player than the washed up CF the Sox signed to a minor league deal a month back. It has nothing to do with any dislike I have for Podsednik, could be anyone. If Dustin Hermanson came back and wanted his old number I'd feel the same damn way and I was a fan of Dustin's.

And when Podsednik is gone a month from now (if Ozzie sticks to his word that's exactly what should happen) then our former 1st round pick and starting 3B will have given up his number to a 1 month replacement player.

You know Pods isn't going away anytime soon as long as he keeps hitting anywhere near .300 regardless of what Oz said.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 8, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
You know Pods isn't going away anytime soon as long as he keeps hitting anywhere near .300 regardless of what Oz said.

He's hitting .273 without a walk, he's not all that fast anymore, isn't driving the ball and is only capable of playing 1 position. If Ozzie chooses him over Wise then he's hypocritical fool but what's new? You're probably right.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 8, 2009 -> 03:02 PM)
He's hitting .273 without a walk, he's not all that fast anymore, isn't driving the ball and is only capable of playing 1 position. If Ozzie chooses him over Wise then he's hypocritical fool but what's new? You're probably right.

I don't see Wise hitting any better than Pods, in fact probably worse. I also disagree that Pods is not that fast anymore - he still runs the bases as fast as anyone (base STEALING is another topic). And defensively, I think Wise is only slightly better. I see these two guys overall as nearly interchangeable, with a slight edge to Pods.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 8, 2009 -> 06:55 PM)
I don't see Wise hitting any better than Pods, in fact probably worse. I also disagree that Pods is not that fast anymore - he still runs the bases as fast as anyone (base STEALING is another topic). And defensively, I think Wise is only slightly better. I see these two guys overall as nearly interchangeable, with a slight edge to Pods.

IMO, Wise > Pods. He was actually hitting really well in the games previous to getting hurt. And let's not forget the play he made that got him injured.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 8, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)

Yeah, I pretty much disagree with all of it. I honestly don't know how you can watch this incarnation of Podsednik and believe he's as fast as Getz or Lillibride or even Wise at this point. I just don't see that burst.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 8, 2009 -> 03:02 PM)

you were saying??? :D

Wow, from rereading this thread, Kalapse, you really hated Pods! Your overreactions about the number change are pretty funny.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (Nokona @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 03:32 AM)
Playing like this he'd start on any team anywhere anytime

There is no contending team in the majors that should voluntarily make him their full-time starting LF/CF.

He's mediocre defensively, gets bad jumps on the bases, and is too one-dimensional at the plate.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 03:38 AM)
There is no contending team in the majors that should voluntarily make him their full-time starting LF/CF.

He's mediocre defensively, gets bad jumps on the bases, and is too one-dimensional at the plate.

sounds like derek jeter most years

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 02:28 AM)
Pods is doing much better than expected, but he should not be a starter on a contending team.

Then neither should Konerko, Dye, Thome, AJ or anybody else on this team. Considering Pods has been the best player on the team for well over a month now.

Any Sox fan that said that Podsednik was going to be the biggest Sox surprise heading into the ASB prior the Opening Day wins a huge pat on the back from me. That is one free agent signing that I never saw playing out nearly as well as it did. I almost hope he tails off some by the end of the season so Ozzie doesn't grow too attached and that KW doesn't have some type of inclination to resign him at the end of the season.

Maybe that wouldn't be so bad though. Kenny Lofton reinvented himself a bit at about 36 years old, it's not impossible for Podsednik to do the same at 33. He's not nearly as talented, but they are semi-similar type of players.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 02:38 AM)

I've been Pods biggest critic, but you can't say a guy hitting .320 driving the ball a lot, knocking in big runs, and playing much better defensively than he ever played as a White Sox before isn't starting quality for a contender. Sure he still gets picked off a lot. He overslides bases and gets called out and he can't believe the umpire would call it, but he is playing at a higher level than he played when he was leading off for a world championship team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 07:22 AM)
I've been Pods biggest critic, but you can't say a guy hitting .320 driving the ball a lot, knocking in big runs, and playing much better defensively than he ever played as a White Sox before isn't starting quality for a contender. Sure he still gets picked off a lot. He overslides bases and gets called out and he can't believe the umpire would call it, but he is playing at a higher level than he played when he was leading off for a world championship team.

And that's big coming from you. Other than Capn12, ain't nobody around here ripped Pods like you have the last few years. To say anything that could even be mistaken as negativity towards Pods the way he's playing right now is to simply admit you blindly dislike the guy and will trash him no matter what he does. Pods isn't all that talented. Anybody can see that. But when he's healthy, he's produced.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 02:38 AM)

Ya I mean 4-5 with two singles, a double, and a HR is pretty one-dimensional. He was more one dimensional when he was an All-Star. He's hitting with some power right now. He needs to stop sliding through second base on steals, but he could bat leadoff for ANY team in MLB right now. Are you watching footage from 2007 or something?

Edited by ObamaKnowsBest

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 02:28 AM)
Pods is doing much better than expected, but he should not be a starter on a contending team.

knight what the hell are you talking about? I thought this post was from way back when this thread just started but the date somehow mistakenly says June 28th?

I think Thornton has a good shot. He's really been dominate this year, and he seems to have picked up popularity all around the league with his appearance in the WBC as well as his fastball dominating lefties.

I know set up men usually don't get a lot of love for the all star game, but in this case, it makes sense. He's probably the best left handed reliever in all of baseball right now.