Ozzie with his usual empty threats after loss like this

caulfield12

"Some people on this team better check their [rears]," Guillen said after the Sox squandered two four-run leads and failed to hit in the clutch in an 8-7 loss to Kansas City in 11 innings at Kauffman Stadium. "Some people think for sure they're going to be the stars and they're going to be there, they'd better check their [rears]. They better start thinking about the way we're playing.

"I'm not talking about everyone. I'm talking about players who want to take it for granted. Well, they better be careful. I'm not afraid to move people. I'm not afraid to make changes."

Really, there's not much he can do. It's kind of sad.

We can bench Ramirez, but are we really going to win with Getz at 2B and Jayson Nix playing SS? Nix has almost as little experience playing SS as he does 3B and RF...which isn't much. Getz would be fine at short for a couple of games, but lacks the arm strength and doesn't have enough range to his right to play that position, unless Gold Glove version/healthy Joe Crede is playing to that side and not Josh Fields. Beckham is far from being ready to play the position.

If we take Contreras and Floyd out of the rotation...then we use who? Richard? Poreda? Carlos Torres?

I agree Ramirez and Floyd should feel like they're on the "hot spot," but is it really going to make either of these somewhat "fragile" players perform better? I don't really believe it will. We're pretty much stuck with what we have.

He certainly wasn't calling out Broadway, that would be like picking on the weakest kid in 3rd grade. He shouldn't even be on the roster (along with Lillibridge, Pods, possibly Nix, Miller, etc.) Betemit is a good hitter, when used properly and in the right situations.

The only players who really performed under pressure last night were DJ Carrasco and Dotel getting out of that inning tied, even though he wet the bed, which was kind of to be expected after pitching so well for most of the early season. And I guess Linebrink walked the tightrope too, but there must have been 50+ 3-2 counts in that game, mostly from our pitching staff.

There were a couple of situations that we could have PH Nix (for Getz) and Betemit (for Alexei) and I suppose Ozzie's argument (especially with Alexei) is that he needs his horses to come through for him if he's to have a prayer of competing...and taking Ramirez out of the line-up as a threat by getting him in the mentality that he should bunt the last couple of games, you're basically telling him you don't believe he can get a hit, when he came through is so many clutch situations last year (and even earlier in the game). It's kind of a no-win situation for Ozzie. Maybe getting the squeeze down to score AJ would have energized Alexei and the club...but there was better than a 50/50 chance he'd miss the bunt and get AJ thrown out at home, too, and everyone surely would have been all over Guillen for that move.

Also, kudos to AJ for a great game last night. The stolen bases against him are/were not preventable. They sensed the hit and run last night, it's just that Broadway isn't a good enough pitcher with his shaky command and stuff to miss bats. You knew that walk was going to score, somehow, and at least you could go to bed knowing the result of the game, instead of staying up another hour or two. Also, Carlos Quentin has been playing some really good D these two games...and that was a very nice play to get Maier (their first round bust version of Broadway), even though he might actually have been safe. That was the point in the game you thought they MIGHT have a chance to come back and win, but then our normal offense for the past two weeks returned to roost.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all the same as the past. They have no one to take the places of these people, see the junk they have called up so far. The offense scored 7 runs. I don't know how anyone can be upset with their performance. Considering how much Contreras gets ridden, maybe its time to take a look at Floyd and his 6.00 + ERA and league leading 18 walks. He's had 2 good starts, one very mediocre one that he did a good job minimalizing damage and 3 horrid starts. Not what you're looking for from the #3 guy who just signed a contract extension. He's the guy to blame for this game, although the bullpen did him no favors.

Seriously...it's WEIRD that you always have something to say for no real apparent reason.

If you want to comment on what I wrote, fine. I purposely didn't post last night because there wasn't very much productive to say at 1130 pm after a game like that.

If this site is going to become like WSI where people are FORCED/COERCED to say only positive things about KW and the organization or labelled as "Dark Clouds" for being realistic about their team, well, then I guess everyone can live in their dreamworld where Gordon Beckham and Aaron Poreda arrive just in time to save this season from the abyss.

Nobody wants that, but seriously, there is a line between being a realist, and tying a rope around your neck every night. It really gets old, and it gets hard to scroll past what I don't want to read because everybody is panicking at once.

Edited by lostfan

That post was way too long to read so after reading the first few sentences id say its just ozzie being ozzie. Although if we fall out of contention in this division i hope KW keeps the core guys but not afraid to deal away anyone else because of false hopes we might make playoffs.

Toronto, KC, and Seattle are in 1st place in their respective divisions. Anything is possible.

We've been hit hard with some injuries and inconsistent play. With how bad we have played of late, it is actually pretty amazing we are only 2 games under .500.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2009 -> 05:11 AM)
Seriously...it's WEIRD that you always have something to say for no real apparent reason.

If you want to comment on what I wrote, fine. I purposely didn't post last night because there wasn't very much productive to say at 1130 pm after a game like that.

If this site is going to become like WSI where people are FORCED/COERCED to say only positive things about KW and the organization or labelled as "Dark Clouds" for being realistic about their team, well, then I guess everyone can live in their dreamworld where Gordon Beckham and Aaron Poreda arrive just in time to save this season from the abyss.

lol

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 6, 2009 -> 05:44 AM)
I read the title of this thread as "Caulfield with his usual post game 'the world is ending' threads after loss like this"

wierd

^^^

This

and this

vvvvv

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 6, 2009 -> 06:17 AM)
Nobody wants that, but seriously, there is a line between being a realist, and tying a rope around your neck every night. It really gets old, and it gets hard to scroll past what I don't want to read because everybody is panicking at once.

*sigh*

The Sox are 12-14, right? So, 26 games down, 136 to go. Not time to panic yet. Although I think we can all agree that this will be a rebuilding year. But in the AL Central a team that is rebuilding can compete. Injuries have hurt for sure, and there is little depth. We certainly do not want to see Beckham too early. If he is brought up before he's ready it could ruin a potential great career.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
BTW, the target of the rant? Gavin Floyd IMO.

Yep, Gavin and Alexei. Ozzie was fuming yesterday when Gavin walked the leadoff man in the 6th inning. One thing Ozzie won't tolerate from his starting pitchers is walks. No matter what happens the rest of the way with regards to record, we need to get the core of our future going (Gavin, Danks, Alexei, Quentin).

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ May 6, 2009 -> 11:24 AM)
That post was way too long to read so after reading the first few sentences id say its just ozzie being ozzie. Although if we fall out of contention in this division i hope KW keeps the core guys but not afraid to deal away anyone else because of false hopes we might make playoffs.
I guess you wouldn't be interested in reading War and Peace.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 6, 2009 -> 04:44 AM)
I read the title of this thread as "Caulfield with his usual post game 'the world is ending' threads after loss like this"

wierd

HAHAHA. Totally true. His game thread posts were even better.

WSI is positive? I know I havent even been on there in many many years, but I remember it being a black hole of nothing but bitter old people (sorry to all the bitter old people here)

I remember hearing one of the cotton heads, pre-2005, proclaim the Sox would win the series before the cubs, but after hell froze over. "Shiny Happy people..." Or whackjob "proven theories" about how if anything good happens to the Sox, something bad will ALWAYS happen.

I honestly wonder how some of the people of the site dealt with the sox winning the World Series. Sure they were excited but also had to be a bit empty inside that they couldn't b**** about how they'll never win one....

QUOTE (Cali @ May 6, 2009 -> 09:49 AM)
WSI is positive? I know I havent even been on there in many many years, but I remember it being a black hole of nothing but bitter old people (sorry to all the bitter old people here)

I remember hearing one of the cotton heads, pre-2005, proclaim the Sox would win the series before the cubs, but after hell froze over. "Shiny Happy people..." Or whackjob "proven theories" about how if anything good happens to the Sox, something bad will ALWAYS happen.

I honestly wonder how some of the people of the site dealt with the sox winning the World Series. Sure they were excited but also had to be a bit empty inside that they couldn't b**** about how they'll never win one....

I'm inclined to agree it's the main reason that i joined Sox Talk. The majority of people here are good, friendly people, it seems like everything over their is either hostile or cynical. It's like a never-ending losing gamethread forum.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 6, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
I'm inclined to agree it's the main reason that i joined Sox Talk. The majority of people here are good, friendly people, it seems like everything over their is either hostile or cynical. It's like a never-ending losing gamethread forum.

You weren't here in 2007