GM Ken Williams criticizes pitchers for not protecting hitters

Wanne

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 10, 2009 -> 03:02 AM)
^^^ Wait, so was it intentional or not?

agreed, bobby had a little bit of double talk going on there.

I still think its ridiculous that the Sox get hit so much that they have to b**** about it in the papers, yet no ump ever warned an opposing pitcher against the Sox, yet the Sox throw behind 1 batter and the ump comes flying out to warn Jenks.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 10, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
agreed, bobby had a little bit of double talk going on there.

I still think its ridiculous that the Sox get hit so much that they have to b**** about it in the papers, yet no ump ever warned an opposing pitcher against the Sox, yet the Sox throw behind 1 batter and the ump comes flying out to warn Jenks.

I don't blame the umps one bit for warning Jenks. It was obvious he was trying to send a message, and know he even admitted it. Last night, Getz got hit with a slow curve and CQ got hit in the 8th in a big situation where Millwood wasn't trying to hit him.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 10, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
I don't blame the umps one bit for warning Jenks. It was obvious he was trying to send a message, and know he even admitted it. Last night, Getz got hit with a slow curve and CQ got hit in the 8th in a big situation where Millwood wasn't trying to hit him.

I dont either, but I would like it to go the other way as well. Greinke WAS headhunting with Alexei the other day, after routinely hitting the Sox this year, an the guy doesnt get one word of warning.

I think umpires throw around warnings much too often and willingly. With warnings, you basically take away the whole inside corner.

If it's getting out of hand where everyone is getting hit, fine throw out a warning. But otherwise, just let the players play the game.

Don't warnings also carry over to the next game then to?

Also, in all fairness, most of our players don't even make much of an effort to get out of the way. Quentin actually leans over the plate in his stride and doesn't move, Getz didn't move a lick yesterday.

We should be retaliating from all those bean balls we got to the hands or when Perry was giving us nothing but chin music. Not when a slider hits Getz in the leg and Quentin gets hit in the chest (in which he actually leaned into) on a slow quick pitch. Those are just gifts, especially when Quentin got hit.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 10, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
I dont either, but I would like it to go the other way as well. Greinke WAS headhunting with Alexei the other day, after routinely hitting the Sox this year, an the guy doesnt get one word of warning.

Agree 100 pct with this. I still can't get over Jenks doing that intentionally. It's awesome, and I like that he's not denying it.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 10, 2009 -> 09:54 AM)

That's because KC and the other teams don't talk about it, they just do it. The Sox always have to talk about it in the media first so then the umpires are just waiting for them to even throw close.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 8, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
OK, which one are you - Boers or Bernstein?

When you have to resort to name calling it just means you lost the argument.

Pitching inside is a whole different thing than hitting people to send a message. Again, all the crap you guys wanted and thought had a carry over effect didn't, the Rangers beat our brains in on Sunday.

And why are people getting mad that Quentin gets hit so much? He does stand about halfway over the plate.....so IMO he's kinda off limits to this whole thing (unless thrown at head etc.)

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 10, 2009 -> 11:24 AM)
That's because KC and the other teams don't talk about it, they just do it. The Sox always have to talk about it in the media first so then the umpires are just waiting for them to even throw close.

agreed. they just need to keep their mouths shut and if needed do what they need to do.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ May 8, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
Ozzie's demeanor on the field has changed quite a bit since his sensitivity training. I wonder if someone in a position of power sent him a message that if he doesn't cool it he'll be gone. He doesn't argue. He doesn't insist his pitchers protect his hitters. He doesn't talk near as much trash about the opposition or his own players for that matter as he did a couple years ago. I think it's very telling that this had to come from KW.

I agree. How often does a GM criticize his pitching staff for not protecting its hitters?

It makes you wonder how thin the ice is under Ozzie's feet.

Edited by WCSox

Predictably, KW talking about this in the press leads to Bobby doing something about it, then admitting it when asked by the media.

What players admit to throwing behind players? We lead the league in dumb. Baseball probably has to suspend Bobby for his comments.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 8, 2009 -> 01:20 AM)
it's a weird threshold, but I agree with KW. I'm not down for bean ball wars, but the Sox haven't pitched inside enough this year. Example: Alexei gets chin music.... the Sox staff should have thrown a purpose pitch

Zack G. threw to Alexei's head and White Sox pitchers did not do a thing. This is what Contreras should do against lefties and show some cojones.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 11, 2009 -> 09:16 PM)
Predictably, KW talking about this in the press leads to Bobby doing something about it, then admitting it when asked by the media.

What players admit to throwing behind players? We lead the league in dumb. Baseball probably has to suspend Bobby for his comments.

What highly-successful pitcher throws a fastball behind a batter, and then tries to convince everybody that he was aiming for the strike zone? The ump immediately knew what was up and issued the warnings. I don't know about you, but I'd rather that a pitcher intentionally threw behind a hitter than actually plunked a hitter in the back to "send a message." I'm not convinced that MLB will suspend Jenks for admitting that he intentionally missed hitting a batter.

More importantly, I find it REALLY strange that Kenny was the one who commanded the pitchers to retaliate. Isn't that the manager's job? And what does this say about Ozzie and Kenny's relationship?