P90X

StrangeSox

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
When are you going to start doing the airborne pushups, Reddy? ;)

have any of you ever seen Kung Pow: Enter the Fist? Because if not, rent it, watch it, and the part where he does pushups by blowing on the ground while the rest of him is floating in mid-air? Yeah. That'll be me.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 10:46 PM)
just finished my week 10 CST.

actually went a lot better - was able to up a lot of weight, and did - wait for it - 10 one armed pushups. Now granted i didn't go low at ALL and my arm was way out in front - basically an easiest of easy version (if there is such a thing) but nonetheless! :)

and i will say that i LOVE the punches at the end, i can just see the veins in my shoulders/arms bulging with rippling muscley power. haha

I want to kill two twitch speed pushups with my bare hands. ARX just makes it worse because I then want to murder adam and his ripped abs.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 08:00 PM)
Actually finished plyo this week. Granted I made several of the exercises 20 seconds long instead of 30, but definitely an improvement from last week. That rock star jump is hard as hell. I love the sports exercises at the end. They really pumped me up to finish the workout strong. And if CST is the hardest workout like you say it is Rock, then I am dreading week 5 lol

CST is just the hardest resistance workout. Plyo and possibly core syn are the other two toughies. Plyo takes the cake of all of them though. If anyone wants to start the program, I give them Plyo and tell them that if they can do half of it, they are golden. I had a friend who couldnt make it through the prayer sqauts.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 07:52 AM)
CST is just the hardest resistance workout. Plyo and possibly core syn are the other two toughies. Plyo takes the cake of all of them though. If anyone wants to start the program, I give them Plyo and tell them that if they can do half of it, they are golden. I had a friend who couldnt make it through the prayer sqauts.

I think the first time I did it I made it til about the 32 minute mark.

But if you are relatively athletic and not incredibly out of shape, the first week you make such incredible strides.

I finished it the second week.

I'm gonna give this a shot. I'd like to drop about 15 extra pounds I've been carrying since college and with my 30th birthday just around the corner, there's all the inspiration I need. I've been running 12-20 miles a week for the past 2+ years and have really just fluctuated around the same weight give or take 5 pounds, which has been frustrating. After reading through some of the P90X literature, this has happened because I haven't been eating enough and also the eating schedule that I follow sucks. It's really tough for me to swallow anything before 10am. I eat a small lunch (a bagel or a small sandwich), then snacks when I get home (not good ones) followed by a large meal during which I generally gorge myself. For roughly 4-5 years, I've only very rarely had soda, mostly just water. Sooo, we'll see how this goes.

How do you guys handle it if you're going out of town for a weekend, or you're having company over? Do you just pick up where you left off? Go back a few days? Also are the protein drinks/bars necessary or is this just the company trying to make some extra loot?

QUOTE (maggliopipe @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
I'm gonna give this a shot. I'd like to drop about 15 extra pounds I've been carrying since college and with my 30th birthday just around the corner, there's all the inspiration I need. I've been running 12-20 miles a week for the past 2+ years and have really just fluctuated around the same weight give or take 5 pounds, which has been frustrating. After reading through some of the P90X literature, this has happened because I haven't been eating enough and also the eating schedule that I follow sucks. It's really tough for me to swallow anything before 10am. I eat a small lunch (a bagel or a small sandwich), then snacks when I get home (not good ones) followed by a large meal during which I generally gorge myself. For roughly 4-5 years, I've only very rarely had soda, mostly just water. Sooo, we'll see how this goes.

How do you guys handle it if you're going out of town for a weekend, or you're having company over? Do you just pick up where you left off? Go back a few days? Also are the protein drinks/bars necessary or is this just the company trying to make some extra loot?

I just started but this is happening to me this weekend. I will be gone for 2 days, and I am planning to just pick up where I left off. So, since I am scheduled for Kenpo on Sunday, I will do it on Monday instead, and start chest and back up again on Tuesday. Essentially I am just moving my rest day up (and taking two of them probably) and picking it back up on Monday where I left off. Sometimes it is unavoidable, but I am not going to try and make a habit out of doing this, as I have already notice progress from week 1 to week 2 and I want to keep it going.

BTW, did ab ripper X again today, and yeah Adam is a jerk lol. I also don't like how the guy with the prosthetic leg can out perform me on plyo.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 11:18 PM)
I just started but this is happening to me this weekend. I will be gone for 2 days, and I am planning to just pick up where I left off. So, since I am scheduled for Kenpo on Sunday, I will do it on Monday instead, and start chest and back up again on Tuesday. Essentially I am just moving my rest day up (and taking two of them probably) and picking it back up on Monday where I left off. Sometimes it is unavoidable, but I am not going to try and make a habit out of doing this, as I have already notice progress from week 1 to week 2 and I want to keep it going.

BTW, did ab ripper X again today, and yeah Adam is a jerk lol. I also don't like how the guy with the prosthetic leg can out perform me on plyo.

Hah, yeah, just do the best you can, guys. Sometimes life gets in the way. The key is to keep hitting it on as regular a basis as possible. Don't worry, you're not going to melt or crumble or something if you take two days off and then resume.

As for the prosthetic leg guy....if you watch him closely, he loafs it a bit. Don't let him psyche you out! ;)

QUOTE (maggliopipe @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)

Ill do doubles one day to make up for it, or just push them back a day as long as my diet stays good.

You can modify the workout as long as you keep your days filled, I know Shack cycles for cardio and I do vball monday and wed instead of doing yoga and sometimes plyo though now I am doing plyo on fridays instead of legs and back/.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 08:33 AM)
Any recommendations for a pullup bar for this? I'm looking to set up in my unfinished basement and can easily put something on the I-beams, but don't have a door frame to hang anything on.

Do you have engineered floor joists or solid 2X8, 2x10, etc... ?

If solid you can easily make a nice pull up bar for cheap by going to Home Depot Get some 3/4 or 1" galv steel pipe(whatever is comfortable for you) You'll want to span the joists so you're head is in betwen two joists when doing your pullup. I'm sure there's a ton of info online. My dad had a setup like this years ago. Good luck.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
Do you have engineered floor joists or solid 2X8, 2x10, etc... ?

If solid you can easily make a nice pull up bar for cheap by going to Home Depot Get some 3/4 or 1" galv steel pipe(whatever is comfortable for you) You'll want to span the joists so you're head is in betwen two joists when doing your pullup. I'm sure there's a ton of info online. My dad had a setup like this years ago. Good luck.

Yeah, I actually do. That would be a whole lot cheaper than buying some of the options that are out there. Thanks!

Woo!

How about a little plyo on your stretch day!

Although I learned to not try too hard to do Dominick's crazy superjumps....i think I may have tweaked something in my back....it went away in the middle of the workout, but we'll see how it feels when I cool down a bit.

Regardless, love the way I feel after plyo!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
Woo!

How about a little plyo on your stretch day!

Although I learned to not try too hard to do Dominick's crazy superjumps....i think I may have tweaked something in my back....it went away in the middle of the workout, but we'll see how it feels when I cool down a bit.

Regardless, love the way I feel after plyo!

Hope your back is ok. You probably won't be able to tell until the morning. So is that twice this week you have done plyo? Because if it is, you are a champ.

On my end, I think I'm about done with yoga. I am going to start replacing it with something at the gym, although I'm not sure what yet. Its just so repetitive and boring. After about 20-25 minutes of doing the same moves I get bored and have to stop. I think I could get much more out of this with some extended stretching and then some cardio.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 10:09 PM)
Hope your back is ok. You probably won't be able to tell until the morning. So is that twice this week you have done plyo? Because if it is, you are a champ.

On my end, I think I'm about done with yoga. I am going to start replacing it with something at the gym, although I'm not sure what yet. Its just so repetitive and boring. After about 20-25 minutes of doing the same moves I get bored and have to stop. I think I could get much more out of this with some extended stretching and then some cardio.

No, just once. The rest week schedules you to do Yoga/Core/Kenpo/Stretch/Core/Yoga/Stretch

I just subbed out the stretch with the plyo.

As for yoga, I basically just do the first 45 minutes. You don't find that challenging, especially the last few moves of the vinyasas? If you really can't stand it, I think Rock may have some suggestions for you. Or you can go to beachbody.com and look at the message boards for alternatives. Of course, you could also sub out yoga for cardioX or Core...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 09:24 PM)
No, just once. The rest week schedules you to do Yoga/Core/Kenpo/Stretch/Core/Yoga/Stretch

I just subbed out the stretch with the plyo.

As for yoga, I basically just do the first 45 minutes. You don't find that challenging, especially the last few moves of the vinyasas? If you really can't stand it, I think Rock may have some suggestions for you. Or you can go to beachbody.com and look at the message boards for alternatives. Of course, you could also sub out yoga for cardioX or Core...

It is definitely somewhat of a challenge, its just after 20 straight minutes of doing the same thing with small variation to it gets boring. I enjoy every other workout for the variety of moves that you perform. I have never been one who just likes to run on a treadmill for an hour, I like variety. Every other one of the dvd's has pushed me in so many different ways. After every session, I feel like I have pushed myself to the limit on everything I have done, which is great because I don't usually feel like that after the gym. Now I know that Yoga isn't supposed to be like the rest on workouts, and has its own purpose, but its just not working for me so far. I've gotten about 30 mins through it so far, and I would compare it to sitting through the previews at the movies...but the movie never actually starts (again not saying it isn't hard, just saying that is seems very repetitive with very slight variations each time). I will probably try it again in my first rest week, and see if I can change my mind and learn to like it.

I enjoy legs and back much more than last week because I've gotten most of the initial soreness out of my body. Last week I was majorly sore, and the workout was quite painful. Felt great this week, even busted out about 10 more pullups than last week :)

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
I enjoy legs and back much more than last week because I've gotten most of the initial soreness out of my body. Last week I was majorly sore, and the workout was quite painful. Felt great this week, even busted out about 10 more pullups than last week :)

Awesome buddy...you're getting hooked just like the rest of us!

Did Core again today....felt awesome

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)
Had plyo friday yesterday, awesome.

Nice!

I did Core and strained something in my shoulder during those standing X-presses or whatever they are. Probably didn't help when I did those prison pushups right afterwards, but whatever.

Hopefully it heals soon.

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 10:29 AM)
Got all of the equipment (building my own pullup bar). Just need to find a good place to get the DVDs. I'm seeing if I can find a deal on em somewhere.

I'd be careful here. A lot of people who bought them through ebay or amazon vendors got only the DVDs (as opposed to the literature, which, while admittedly is not necessary, is helpful), and from what I have read, a LOT of those DVDs were low-quality or defective.

I ordered straight from Beachbody.com, and paid $9 for a lifetime guarantee of the DVDs.

There are certainly cheaper ways to obtain the program, but trust me, if you stick with it, it's going to be worth every penny you spend and far, far more.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
I'd be careful here. A lot of people who bought them through ebay or amazon vendors got only the DVDs (as opposed to the literature, which, while admittedly is not necessary, is helpful), and from what I have read, a LOT of those DVDs were low-quality or defective.

I ordered straight from Beachbody.com, and paid $9 for a lifetime guarantee of the DVDs.

There are certainly cheaper ways to obtain the program, but trust me, if you stick with it, it's going to be worth every penny you spend and far, far more.

Yeah, I've noticed there are a lot of those comments on Amazon.com. So, I may just stay away from that, but it is not easy to throw $140 at it. Can you order it cheaper when one of the infomercials on it is going?

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 11:26 AM)
Yeah, I've noticed there are a lot of those comments on Amazon.com. So, I may just stay away from that, but it is not easy to throw $140 at it. Can you order it cheaper when one of the infomercials on it is going?

Not sure. My advice would be to bite the bullet and order it from beachbody. If you want, you can pay in installments, so it doesn't seem as harsh.

Trust me, after week 2, you're going to be like "damn, I am glad I did this."

Gooch, you have any regrets?