P90X

StrangeSox

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
Tried the Ab Ripper X today and boy was it a b****. Ran about seven miles earlier in the day, so that may have made it tougher too. But sheesh, that stuff is hard.

i Promise you it will get easier

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
Did Legs and back today. Tough work out, but felt good. Quick question for the P90X vets. I have been doing the first 2-4 sets of pullups without the chair (I have been doing from 3-6 pullups). Then I do the 2nd round (and part of the first round in the case for legs and back today) with the chair. How many pullups do you guys do where your at now, and when did you stop using the chair all together?

started at only 9 total pull-ups without a chair, first time i did L+B. and then used the chair to get to 10 or so per set, sometimes more.

Now I'm at 89 pull-ups without a chair over the course of the workout. If you use that chair, you will get great results, as long as you go to at least 10 and you try to use only your arms as much as possible. don't just push yourself up with your legs... that don't work.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
started at only 9 total pull-ups without a chair, first time i did L+B. and then used the chair to get to 10 or so per set, sometimes more.

Now I'm at 89 pull-ups without a chair over the course of the workout. If you use that chair, you will get great results, as long as you go to at least 10 and you try to use only your arms as much as possible. don't just push yourself up with your legs... that don't work.

Damn.. very nice. I remember I could barely do 10 pushups when I started working out.. :lol: Now I do 2 sets of 50 and still growing.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)

SO i did B and B tonight and it was one of those nights where I could only do 25 witout a chair. Its ok because I knocked the rest of them out with my chair far away from my body. It all works for you as long as you knock out as many as you can do.

just finished my L+B and passed the century mark! did 101 pull-ups. I can crank out so many more in this workout than I can in C+B and B+B, I think because in the other two you're working your upper body the whole time, versus only half the time in L+B.

and also, I have now changed my monster shake into a 600 cal fruit smoothie shake thing that tastes a helluva lot better. Think it should still do the trick.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 10:25 PM)
Good work fellas.

I did Legs & Back today as well. Heading into the "rest" week between phases two and three right now.

Being bad tonight though. Eating chili cheese fritos, sour patch kids, and watching some Entourage. :)

Sounds like you've more than earned the right to indulge a little (not that some fritos and sour patch kids is really indulging).

Really enjoyed Kenpo. Ive always hated just running for cardio, this gives you something to do while getting your heart rate up. Hopefully I will be able to kick a little higher by the end of this thing. Anyways, 1st week is done, on to week 2 Monday!

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Mar 6, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
Really enjoyed Kenpo. Ive always hated just running for cardio, this gives you something to do while getting your heart rate up. Hopefully I will be able to kick a little higher by the end of this thing. Anyways, 1st week is done, on to week 2 Monday!

Way to go, Gooch! I know it's only been a week, but how do you feel after week 1?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 6, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
Way to go, Gooch! I know it's only been a week, but how do you feel after week 1?

Well my entire body is sore to some extent (more my lower body right now), but it has done wonders for my energy. I think the initial soreness in my legs and shoulders affected my performance on the later workout (for example sore shoulder made yoga hard, and sore legs made legs and kenpo pretty tough at some points), but once my body gets used to it and the soreness fade more quickly I know everything will improve. Overall, it has affected my mood the most as I am much more energetic overall. I've also lost about 2-4 lbs already (hard to tell as weight fluctuates) just by doing the workouts and cutting out junk food. Although, I could improve my dinners a little bit more, as I had spaghetti with meatballs, and pizza this week lol.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Mar 6, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
Well my entire body is sore to some extent (more my lower body right now), but it has done wonders for my energy. I think the initial soreness in my legs and shoulders affected my performance on the later workout (for example sore shoulder made yoga hard, and sore legs made legs and kenpo pretty tough at some points), but once my body gets used to it and the soreness fade more quickly I know everything will improve. Overall, it has affected my mood the most as I am much more energetic overall. I've also lost about 2-4 lbs already (hard to tell as weight fluctuates) just by doing the workouts and cutting out junk food. Although, I could improve my dinners a little bit more, as I had spaghetti with meatballs, and pizza this week lol.

Yeah, the first week I felt a huge boost in energy, and some of my clothes started to fit better.

After 7 weeks, I am shopping for all new clothes...;)

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
Thinking about doing this. What all do you need? I have no workout stuff at home. So far I've seen:

Chair

Pullup bar

Yoga Mat

Hand Weights (Any Recommendations on this?)

Anything else?

:)

You can get dumbbells or resistance bands.

Dumbbells are more expensive, but easier to use with most exercises and more effective.

Powerblock makes a hell of a set of adj dumbbells.

Played some hoops today and the difference in my conditioning from before starting P90X and at halfway through P90X was ridiculous. Felt like I could have played all day without tiring. My game was much stronger since I wasn't fighting exhaustion 3 games in.

Won like 9 or 10 games in a row and didn't tire.

Awesome.

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 01:43 PM)
Thinking about doing this. What all do you need? I have no workout stuff at home. So far I've seen:

Chair

Pullup bar

Yoga Mat

Hand Weights (Any Recommendations on this?)

Anything else?

I started out with the bands and moved the the adjustable dumbbells by bowflex. The resistance workouts are 100% harder with the weights IMO. I've seen much more muscle building in my arms and shoulders.

Edited by RockRaines

Actually finished plyo this week. Granted I made several of the exercises 20 seconds long instead of 30, but definitely an improvement from last week. That rock star jump is hard as hell. I love the sports exercises at the end. They really pumped me up to finish the workout strong. And if CST is the hardest workout like you say it is Rock, then I am dreading week 5 lol

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
Actually finished plyo this week. Granted I made several of the exercises 20 seconds long instead of 30, but definitely an improvement from last week. That rock star jump is hard as hell. I love the sports exercises at the end. They really pumped me up to finish the workout strong. And if CST is the hardest workout like you say it is Rock, then I am dreading week 5 lol

Great that you finished though! Congrats!

The rock star I feel is sort of counterproductive (seems like an easy way to hurt yourself), but I do it anyways.

CST is brutal, but Plyo is brutal in its own right.

I am on my "rest" week between phase 2 and 3.

Forgot how much "fun" Core is...;)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 08:11 PM)
Great that you finished though! Congrats!

The rock star I feel is sort of counterproductive (seems like an easy way to hurt yourself), but I do it anyways.

CST is brutal, but Plyo is brutal in its own right.

I am on my "rest" week between phase 2 and 3.

Forgot how much "fun" Core is...;)

Haven't gotten to a "Rest week" yet, but I bet the the name is deceiving. BTW is this your 1st or 2nd time through the program?

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 09:24 PM)
Haven't gotten to a "Rest week" yet, but I bet the the name is deceiving. BTW is this your 1st or 2nd time through the program?

Actually, the rest week is sort of boring. Last time I hit it it corresponded with my week off from work, and so I did some bike riding to compliment it. The Core workout is definitely tough though.

This is my first time through it. So I am watching you go through basically the same things I did just 6 weeks ago...

just finished my week 10 CST.

actually went a lot better - was able to up a lot of weight, and did - wait for it - 10 one armed pushups. Now granted i didn't go low at ALL and my arm was way out in front - basically an easiest of easy version (if there is such a thing) but nonetheless! :)

and i will say that i LOVE the punches at the end, i can just see the veins in my shoulders/arms bulging with rippling muscley power. haha

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 11:46 PM)
just finished my week 10 CST.

actually went a lot better - was able to up a lot of weight, and did - wait for it - 10 one armed pushups. Now granted i didn't go low at ALL and my arm was way out in front - basically an easiest of easy version (if there is such a thing) but nonetheless! :)

and i will say that i LOVE the punches at the end, i can just see the veins in my shoulders/arms bulging with rippling muscley power. haha

When are you going to start doing the airborne pushups, Reddy? ;)