Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)
Kalapse here's the update:

Peavy to the Sox for Richards, Poreda and one to two PTBNL depending on the source. Gammons indicated that Beckham is not part of the deal and CBS writer indicated that the PTBNL would be pitcher(s). Some other names that were mentioned at one time or another as being part of the deal are Jermaine Dye, Brian Giles, and David Eckstein, but it sounds like those three names were very early speculation.

Linebrink talked to Peavy yesterday and his general feeling is that it is 50/50. Other sources indicate that Peavy's hold-up is not pitching in the AL where he doesn't have concerns but with playing for Ozzie. His agent also indicated that he wants to play in the midwest so thats a fit.

Bottom line, it sounds like the Sox want a decision by today so we should know within a few hours.

The 50/50 isn't Peavy, it's Linebrink not wanting to speak for Peavy.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
4 pitchers? That's madness, it'd wipe out our supply of pitching spects in one fell swoop. As long as Beckham and Flowers aren't involved (they wouldn't want Allen anyway) I'm good with this.

If that happens, you would probably see 3 or all 4 of the Sox good picks be pitchers in the draft.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
I want this done now....but I understand how he's taking some time to think about it. He's considering where he's going to live (and work) for the next several years. I just relocated at the beginning of the year and it took me nearly two weeks to make the decision and accept the offer. Lets hope it doesn't take that long....but if he really looks at all the good benefits of being a White Sox, I think he'll make the right decision in a day or two.

he can still live in SoCal if he so chooses...short flight to Arizona....nice weather for the winter...not working 9-5 300 days a year

What I'd like to see is how many outs on average Peavy gets per game as a result of long pop flys (and where, ie: dead center) as opposed to infield ground outs. This could give us a little perspective as to how well he'll do at first until he gets adjusted at U.S. Comiskular.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:15 AM)
The longer we don't know the other PTBNL, it scares me it is guys from last years draft....

The last time we had a PTBNL discussion, it was on the Swisher trade...but we knew the PTBNL right away because there was no point in not saying it (was DLS). They were using hte PTBNL there as a way of avoiding having the other team over-flow its spots before the rule 5 draft.

Here, it's probably actually a PTBNL, because its clearly people from the minor leagues, likely (though not certainly) people not on the 40 man. In other words, they probably have a list of players that they're going to be watching and they'll pick from them within a certain amount of time. If we know Beckham's not on that list, we can probably safely assume Viciedo isn't on it either. Frankly though, this will probably drain that pitching depth we'd built up in the A ball level and there's no way around it...but if you think about it, assume we have Peavy for 4 years, Buehrle for a long time, and then throw in Danks and Floyd, and there's not a lot of room for the guys we currently have at A-ball.

Update on ESPN 1000 says Peavy will likely start for the Pads tomorrow against the Cubs, not because he has rejected the deal, but because it hasn't gotten that far between the Sox and Pads and the Pads haven't formally asked Peavy to waive it yet... didn't catch the name, but said it's the guy who broke the story last night

QUOTE (spiderman @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
What I'd like to see is how many outs on average Peavy gets per game as a result of long pop flys (and where, ie: dead center) as opposed to infield ground outs. This could give us a little perspective as to how well he'll do at first until he gets adjusted at U.S. Comiskular.

If you go to Baseball-Reference.com, you can get Peavy's splits sorted by type of hit; fly ball, line drive, groundball, bunt.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:19 AM)
Peavy is a ground ball pitcher though, plus he gets tons of K's so he should be alright moving to the AL and our hitters paradise. Plus the guy brings a lot of passion every start and would be a tremendous add to the clubhouse.

His career GB/FB ratio is 1.08. So he's not really a groundball pitcher. But his K, BB, K/BB rates more than compensate for that.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
Get Cutler on the phone with him... Cutler can do anything.

well, newest stuff seems like this is all a moot point and there's no deal.

It seems that the teams never agreed to anything and Peavy was never formally approached

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:19 AM)
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/200...nt-9274/?padres

This is the same guy that broke the story last night....

Not sure what to make of that...even MLB.com is running with the story of a completed deal waiting on Peavy's approval...that one sounds like it's not even at the step of asking Peavy. That's sort of the opposite of what everyone else is running with.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
well, newest stuff seems like this is all a moot point and there's no deal.

It seems that the teams never agreed to anything and Peavy was never formally approached

Hmmm...how much should we trust this writer then? If he's the one that broke the story that a trade had been agreed upon, now he's saying it hasn't gotten that far...I mean, c'mon.