Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
11:31am: Brock talked to Peavy's agent Barry Axelrod. Axelrod hasn't spoken to Peavy yet today, but was asked by the Padres "about Jake's feeling about the possibility of (playing for) the White Sox."

So wait a minute here. This s*** is all over the f***ing sports news, all over the radio in Chicago and San Diego, all over ESPN, and Peavy hasn't even talked to his agent?!?!

That is completely f***ing ridiculous. Whether he comes or not, they had to have spoken about this.

That is probably the best indicator that a deal is no where near done, and now that this is public, isn't getting done.

Oh well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
It could be that they just don't want it out there they had a deal and Peavy killed it. This is a Groundhog Day version of the Soriano to the White Sox talk in 2006 where it went from immiment to never really that close.

wow, luckily I completely missed that talk, I would have gone ape if they got him and had to have that ridiculously bad contract. that contract was bad when the economy was good

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
Peavy doesnt sound like he wants to move to the AL....

No surprise...that was his status all summer. I demand that if this falls through that he's referred to as Jake Pussy from now on.

QUOTE (tommy @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)
This is all over ESPN, MLB.COM etc saying the deal is done, I'm sorry but I dont believe there is no deal.

The fact that the Sox have it up on their own web site and Linebrink is on the phone selling the Sox to Peavy suggests that you're right.

I have no idea why the media outlet in SD is backtracking on this. Unless somebody's trying to protect their source in the Padres organization.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
It could be that they just don't want it out there they had a deal and Peavy killed it. This is a Groundhog Day version of the Soriano to the White Sox talk in 2006 where it went from immiment to never really that close.

I think this is the case, Peavy killed the deal. Pussy.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
Padres site too. The official team sites have to hold more weight than a SD paper, right?

The Padres and White Sox site use the same story as MLB...on all 3 sites but its one story written by Scott Merkin and Corey Brock...Peavy wants to stay in the NL cuz his numbers will rise in the hitter heavy AL

The San Diego Padres have agreed to trade staff ace Jake Peavy to the Chicago White Sox and are waiting for Peavy to decide if he will waive his no-trade clause, sources tell ESPN.

Apparently according to Gammons, all pitching, no Beckham involvement

-Cubs suck

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
The Padres and White Sox site use the same story as MLB...on all 3 sites but its one story written by Scott Merkin and Corey Brock...Peavy wants to stay in the NL cuz his numbers will rise in the hitter heavy AL

I won't be sad at all if this happens. In 3 years, Peavy's going to have an albatross of a contract.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
The San Diego Padres have agreed to trade staff ace Jake Peavy to the Chicago White Sox and are waiting for Peavy to decide if he will waive his no-trade clause, sources tell ESPN.

Apparently according to Gammons, all pitching, no Beckham involvement

-Cubs suck

Wow, thanks for breaking this.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
They are probably negotiating Peavy's options in his contract. He probably wants them guaranteed.

I disagree, i think jake killed it and to save his face in the media and so the Pad's can continue to field serious offers, they are saying it never got to him. Makes alot of sense actually.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
I think this is the case, Peavy killed the deal. Pussy.

I think so. The last thing the White Sox want is Poreda and Richard(s) knowing they were out the door but the guy they were going for said no. Just say it was never that close and they may feel like the Sox still want them.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:30 AM)
Padres site too. The official team sites have to hold more weight than a SD paper, right?

I'm not sure how much control the Sox have over the content of their web site (MLB seems to have some sort of totalitarian grasp on format), but this would be a major PR disaster if the deal doesn't get done now.