Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
Scott Linebrink talked to Peavy last night and told The Score that Jake is not against pitching in the AL. This seems to sound like Writers sick of silence in the news cycle and are rehashing old stories as to why there is silence.

Well his agent said he has a preferance to pitch in the NL... I just can't find out when he said that. Someone earlier posted that the comment was made when he hadn't talked to him since last night... the about an hour since the bad news hit seems to me it's not officially dead, like I posted earlier, KW and the Sox will get the news out there quickly if it is dead officially, they don't want it out there one second longer than it has to be.;

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
If he is truly scared about the AL, that in itself is enough for the Sox to pull the deal. That's a confidence issue

If the Sox pull the deal...then THAT would be a PR nightmare.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:52 AM)
If the Sox are willing to take on that much money and willing to give up the prospects that have been mentioned, they could realistically be involved with a lot of marquee names (guys like Oswalt who could be available).

Is Oswalt better than Peavy? I agree though, if the club is willing to take on that sort of payroll, they could be players for a good number of guys, the question is what guys become available that aren't on contending teams.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
Poreda on Facebook just 40 seconds ago.

Aaron Poreda: Man, this trade talk makes me nervous and excited.... Jake just make up your mind already!!

I'll miss the heck out of Poreda if this happens. He's a really down to earth guy.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
Peavy's pitched basically his whole career in one of the best pitcher's parks in league history. Oswalt, meanwhile, has had a hell of a career pitching at a park with a 315 foot fence to left field. I'm just saying that if we're willing to take on a huge pitching contract while giving up valuable resources, it's very possible there will be Plan B, C, to come.

I wonder what Javy Vazquez's career stats would look like if he pitched his whole career in San Diego? He's doing damn good in Atlanta now.

Oswalt is 31 to Peavy's 27. But you still haven't answered any of my questions:

1. Why would the Astros trade Oswalt?

2.What are the specific guys who will be available for the Sox to target? All you've given is generalities and one name who sounds like an even bigger longshot than Peavy.

I just think it's insane to not get excited over Peavy when he's our best (and only) bet for setting up our rotation for the next 3-4 years. No one else will even come close.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)

Aaron Poreda: Man, this trade talk makes me nervous and excited.... Jake just make up your mind already!!

Ha.

Well if the trade does go down Poreda probably makes it to the majors quicker than intially expected

Yeah, I have no idea where people think they saw the trade was dead. Peavy wants to pitch in the NL? No s***, that's all we heard for the entire offseason. Hell, he probably just woke up a few hours ago, as the Padres were home last night.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
Well his agent said he has a preferance to pitch in the NL... I just can't find out when he said that. Someone earlier posted that the comment was made when he hadn't talked to him since last night... the about an hour since the bad news hit seems to me it's not officially dead, like I posted earlier, KW and the Sox will get the news out there quickly if it is dead officially, they don't want it out there one second longer than it has to be.;

I think his agent wants him to pitch in the NL more than Peavy.

Maybe this will be like when Fred McGriff said no for a few days about being traded to the Cubs and really dragged it out til agreeing. At least i think it went down that way.

Guys in this situation would like to wait til other teams pop up to bid on em, but if it got to this point with SD then there must be no other deals out there.

And then I gotta think a few days with the teammates would be awkward enough to usher along the green light.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2009 -> 06:05 PM)
Is Oswalt better than Peavy? I agree though, if the club is willing to take on that sort of payroll, they could be players for a good number of guys, the question is what guys become available that aren't on contending teams.

With the way the economy is, I can guarantee there will be good deals to be made if we're willing to pick up contracts. That's the point I was trying to make. It's not like Peavy has a cheap contract, so I'm not going to drink drano if he declines the trade.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:06 PM)
Have we ever tracked a trade on this site that has actually gone through? I don't think we have. Every trade that breaks on this site is a done deal 10 minutes after we hear about it, or it has already been done.

Ken Griffey Jr had the same deal last year, we waited on him to waive his NTC

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)

It sounds like Poreda has been informed of the trade by the Sox. Which says to me the deal is done and it's all on Jake. We just have to wait for the official word from the Pads.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:07 PM)
Maybe this will be like when Fred McGriff said no for a few days about being traded to the Cubs and really dragged it out til agreeing. At least i think it went down that way.

Guys in this situation would like to wait til other teams pop up to bid on em, but if it got to this point with SD then there must be no other deals out there.

Don't think the Sox want to wait that long.