Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (Nokona @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:33 PM)
Excuse me while I hang myself

To be honest, since I don't think Peavy would guarantee the AL Central for the Sox this year, I'd rather have a combination of Poreda/Richard/Hudson in 3 years than to have Peavy and his contract.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
I disagree, i think jake killed it and to save his face in the media and so the Pad's can continue to field serious offers, they are saying it never got to him. Makes alot of sense actually.

probably right, the last thing the Pads need is in July teams not entering serious negotiations with them about Peavy because of fear of him flinching and them losing out.

Well, hopefully it was a full AL thing and not just the Sox... It's good to see the org is still being very active though, that bodes well for July and the offseason

wow, luckily I completely missed that talk, I would have gone ape if they got him and had to have that ridiculously bad contract. that contract was bad when the economy was good

Huh? Soriano signed after the 2006 season. The Sox would've ended up with two draft picks. Who knows what would've happened if they had him in left for the rest of the 2006 season.

I'm way late, but can anyone confirm that Peavy's framed jersey was taken down at Petco?

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
so is the deal officially dead? or is it b/c that SD newspaper article

Not dead yet...but probably on life support.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor???

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
Just keep that in mind when you see Floyd and/or Contreras pitching this season.

That's fine...we still have 3-4 glaring holes on offes offensive players, so I really don't think Peavy is the missing link. There's a lot of overreaction by people right now. Peavy is good, but I wouldn't say he'd be close to being a great pitcher in the AL.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
"early opinion on poreda and richard: "a reliever and 5th starter'' says NL scout. but padres' towers does know pitching"

Via Jon Heyman on Twitter

The scout fails to mention though that as a reliever, Poreda could be a closer or an elite set-up man, both of which are hard to come by.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
so is the deal officially dead? or is it b/c that SD newspaper article

It's not "official" but nothing has been official. There's the article and Peavy's agent kind of downplaying it, but there's no real firm time on when the agents comments came out

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
I'm not sure how much control the Sox have over the content of their web site (MLB seems to have some sort of totalitarian grasp on format), but this would be a major PR disaster if the deal doesn't get done now.

I disagree. In fact, the guys on the Score thought from the beginning this whole thing was a White Sox publicity stunt. I don't agree with them, but supposedly agreeing to acquire the biggest name pitcher available is not going to hurt them.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)
"early opinion on poreda and richard: "a reliever and 5th starter'' says NL scout. but padres' towers does know pitching"

Via Jon Heyman on Twitter

It does seem like a good trade though. Pads get two guys that are cheap and very capable of being productive major leaguers, one with the potential to be a #2 or #3 starter (if he finds his secondary stuff) and if he doesn't make it there, he's got a real great shot at being a legit closer. The other who I think makes it as a quality 4th or 5th starter. I really do like Clayton. And again, if Clayton doesn't make it there he's got a long long role as a reliever. Add in one more good arm and it is a great deal, if they got two, even better from the Pads perspective.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
Huh? Soriano signed after the 2006 season. The Sox would've ended up with two draft picks. Who knows what would've happened if they had him in left for the rest of the 2006 season.

I'm way late, but can anyone confirm that Peavy's framed jersey was taken down at Petco?

Ah, OK, I wasn't sure of the Soriano timeline

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)
I disagree. In fact, the guys on the Score thought from the beginning this whole thing was a White Sox publicity stunt. I don't agree with them, but supposedly agreeing to acquire the biggest name pitcher available is not going to hurt them.

Yeah...unless Peavy declines the trade to the Sox and accepts in a heartbeat a trade to the Cubs. That's far down the road though, so no reason to worry about it yet.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
That's fine...we still have 3-4 glaring holes on offes offensive players, so I really don't think Peavy is the missing link. There's a lot of overreaction by people right now. Peavy is good, but I wouldn't say he'd be close to being a great pitcher in the AL.

Good pitching is much harder to get than offensive players. See White Sox, 2005. Good starters, good bullpen, mediocre line-up. I don't see much hope for this team if they're running Buehrle and Danks and a bunch of question marks.