Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)
On PTI nice to see half the time on Peavy subject was all about the Cubs! :fight

noticed that....interleague is coming up...i wonder how things would play if the trade was done and peavy was schedule against the cubs.

QUOTE (DanksFan @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)
so peavy = vazquez?

Peavy has a similar reputation to that of Javy regarding big games, that is true. Now, he's a better pitcher than Javy (even though Javy in Petco would be a pretty dangerous pitcher).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:05 PM)
Peavy vs Harden would be nice to see.

Just don't throw an inside fastball to Bradley. Peavy faced the Cubs two weeks ago, and Milton hit an absolute bomb off of him. Don't get me wrong though, with everything else I've said aside, it would be exciting as hell to watch Peavy pitch every 5 days.

From Jon Heyman's SI article, http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/base...rade/index.html

it sounds like Peavy wants to get his NTC waived for the rest of the contract, and get his option picked up. Can't blame him. It would be hard for Peavy to turn the sox down with all the concessions. Esp. as Peavy could be moved in 2011 w/o his consent. This sounds optimistic to me.

"The Padres appear disinclined to provide any major financial inducements to motivate Peavy to accept the deal. Axelrod has suggested in the past that if Peavy were traded, he would like the no-trade clause to be extended through the 2011 and 2012 seasons (in his current contract, it ends after 2010). Although Axelrod said he hasn't spoken to Peavy about the no-trade extension recently, he reiterated that his client's feelings likely remain the same."

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:07 PM)
Just don't throw an inside fastball to Bradley. Peavy faced the Cubs two weeks ago, and Milton hit an absolute bomb off of him. Don't get me wrong though, with everything else I've said aside, it would be exciting as hell to watch Peavy pitch every 5 days. I bet he'd be man enough to throw strikes to the #9 hitter.

QUOTE (beck72 @ May 21, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
From Jon Heyman's SI article, http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/base...rade/index.html

it sounds like Peavy wants to get his NTC waived for the rest of the contract, and get his option picked up. Can't blame him. It would be hard for Peavy to turn the sox down with all the concessions. Esp. as Peavy could be moved in 2011 w/o his consent. This sounds optimistic to me.

"The Padres appear disinclined to provide any major financial inducements to motivate Peavy to accept the deal. Axelrod has suggested in the past that if Peavy were traded, he would like the no-trade clause to be extended through the 2011 and 2012 seasons (in his current contract, it ends after 2010). Although Axelrod said he hasn't spoken to Peavy about the no-trade extension recently, he reiterated that his client's feelings likely remain the same."

I guess we'll see who is more motivated to get this deal done, the Sox or the Padres. Either could kick in some of that option money to placate Peavy.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:13 PM)
I guess we'll see who is more motivated to get this deal done, the Sox or the Padres. Either could kick in some of that option money to placate Peavy.

The Padres really don't have money to be kicking in right now, otherwise they wouldn't be doing this in the first place.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ May 21, 2009 -> 05:13 PM)

The Padres won't put in money. That's why Peavy has to be traded in the first place.