Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

According to Cowley and Linebrink, the Peavy deal is finally dead.

ANAHEIM, Calif. - Just in case there were some White Sox fans still holding onto that Jake Peavy hope - let your hands go and embrace the fall.

"I think it is [dead],'' Sox reliever Scott Linebrink insisted on Wednesday.

Linebrink would know. After all, he was given the recruiting responsibilities by general manager Ken Williams to talk to Peavy - who he played with in his San Diego days.

"I saw and read that maybe there was some hope still being held out there for a deal to happen with him in the future, but the second time I talked to Jake after he rejected it, he expressed to me that he felt comfortable being in the National League,'' Linebrink added. "It wasn't he was necessarily afraid to come to the American League, but when you've been in a league and you get to know it, especially being a starting pitcher, it's probably a bit more comfortable to stay over there.

"The thing I did express to him again was that no matter where you do go - because I think it's pretty inevitable that he's being traded - you might want to get this thing behind you as quickly as possible so you can get somewhere and get acclimated as soon as possible. I certainly know what it's like to have a trade rumor hanging over your head, and you certainly don't want that to be a distraction for the rest of the season. That was the last time we talked, about a week ago.''

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 28, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)
According to Cowley and Linebrink, the Peavy deal is finally dead.

ANAHEIM, Calif. - Just in case there were some White Sox fans still holding onto that Jake Peavy hope - let your hands go and embrace the fall.

"I think it is [dead],'' Sox reliever Scott Linebrink insisted on Wednesday.

Linebrink would know. After all, he was given the recruiting responsibilities by general manager Ken Williams to talk to Peavy - who he played with in his San Diego days.

"I saw and read that maybe there was some hope still being held out there for a deal to happen with him in the future, but the second time I talked to Jake after he rejected it, he expressed to me that he felt comfortable being in the National League,'' Linebrink added. "It wasn't he was necessarily afraid to come to the American League, but when you've been in a league and you get to know it, especially being a starting pitcher, it's probably a bit more comfortable to stay over there.

"The thing I did express to him again was that no matter where you do go - because I think it's pretty inevitable that he's being traded - you might want to get this thing behind you as quickly as possible so you can get somewhere and get acclimated as soon as possible. I certainly know what it's like to have a trade rumor hanging over your head, and you certainly don't want that to be a distraction for the rest of the season. That was the last time we talked, about a week ago.''

Well, that's that. I guess we can now discuss why Team X will trade Top Young Pitcher Y for a couple of our prospects and some scraps.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 28, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)
Linebrink settled it. Peavy is a coward.

I can't believe how naive some people were about the whole thing. The only way Peavy would ever be "comfortable" in the AL is if some team picked up his option or gave him an out clause. What a p****. I hope he gets traded to the Cubs and then blows out his elbow.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2009 -> 08:35 AM)
I can't believe how naive some people were about the whole thing. The only way Peavy would ever be "comfortable" in the AL is if some team picked up his option or gave him an out clause. What a p****. I hope he gets traded to the Cubs and then blows out his elbow.

FWIW, one of the baseball commentators (forgot if it was ESPN or MLB Network) suggested that Peavy prefers the NL because he likes to bat (career .181 BA in the majors). Apparently he wanted Auburn to allow him to play a position in the field on the days that he wasn't pitching. I'm not sure if any of this is true, just reporting what I heard on TV.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 28, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)
FWIW, one of the baseball commentators (forgot if it was ESPN or MLB Network) suggested that Peavy prefers the NL because he likes to bat (career .181 BA in the majors). Apparently he wanted Auburn to allow him to play a position in the field on the days that he wasn't pitching. I'm not sure if any of this is true, just reporting what I heard on TV.

His career BA is bad, but he obviously applies himself to hitting.

2007: .233

2008: .265

He's batting .095 this year though.

I dont think NL, AL, hitting, or team preference played into it. To me, it was and will always be the option. It was the exact same thing with the Cubs in the offseason, its just too much of a beast to sign off on right now

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 28, 2009 -> 09:54 AM)
I dont think NL, AL, hitting, or team preference played into it. To me, it was and will always be the option. It was the exact same thing with the Cubs in the offseason, its just too much of a beast to sign off on right now

I'd agree if he didn't request that yearly "out" option as well. If the news regarding that is accurate, it would seem to me that he doesn't want to play in the AL. I can't even think of a precedent for that, on top of picking up a $22 million option.

Sorry for being "that guy" that won't quite let this thread die. Equal apologies for being "that guy" that gets annoyed at the national media.

Having said that, I read Dayn Perry's recent article on Trades That Need to Happen Now! and couldn't help but scratch my head at this statement:

As for what the Padres can expect in return, a straight-up deal for the Mets' top prospect, outfielder Fernando Martinez, is better than what the White Sox were offering.

I know he's an excellent prospect (rated #32 by MLB.com and #30 by Baseball America), but one offensive player, straight up is better than 4 pitchers (including Poreda, ranked #63 by BA)? Really? This just seems like a completely moronic statement, above and beyond the usual idiocy of some of these national "our job is to make people mad and drive traffic to our sites" writers.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ May 29, 2009 -> 09:20 AM)
Sorry for being "that guy" that won't quite let this thread die. Equal apologies for being "that guy" that gets annoyed at the national media.

Having said that, I read Dayn Perry's recent article on Trades That Need to Happen Now! and couldn't help but scratch my head at this statement:

I know he's an excellent prospect (rated #32 by MLB.com and #30 by Baseball America), but one offensive player, straight up is better than 4 pitchers (including Poreda, ranked #63 by BA)? Really? This just seems like a completely moronic statement, above and beyond the usual idiocy of some of these national "our job is to make people mad and drive traffic to our sites" writers.

Its Dayn Perry, who is the second worst sports columnist I've ever read (behind the jackass that the Sun-Times fired a while back). I'd expect nothing else.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 29, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)
Its Dayn Perry, who is the second worst sports columnist I've ever read (behind the jackass that the Sun-Times fired a while back). I'd expect nothing else.

Look at his moronic cubs trade for Roberts.

The O's will get in return young hurlers Jeff Samardzija and, as a player to be named, Andrew Cashner (the Cubs' top pitching prospect and 19th overall pick in 2008 is ineligble to be traded until one year after his draft date).

QUOTE (Disco72 @ May 29, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)

Ya i saw a couple days ago and shook my head. That deal straight up is not better for the Padres at all. And I know i've said it before, but people will be disappointed in Fernando Martinez.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 29, 2009 -> 10:10 AM)
Ya i saw a couple days ago and shook my head. That deal straight up is not better for the Padres at all. And I know i've said it before, but people will be disappointed in Fernando Martinez.

Dayn Perry is a glorified blogger, he really doesnt know much about the sport.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 29, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
Dayn Perry is a glorified blogger, he really doesnt know much about the sport.

Also, stories like that that prop up the Mets, Cubs, NYY or Red Sox get a lot of hits or e-mails from drool case casual fans, which unfortunately, seems to drive a vast majority of the "media" not actual reporting of facts or reality, hence barely anybody is reporting that the Cubs can't add payroll.

Besides those two, though...the others look pretty good. I wouldn't say he's a glorified blogger, yes, he has bad articles, but then again, who doesn't?

In the interest of fairness, I know Dayn and he does know a lot about the sport.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 29, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
Besides those two, though...the others look pretty good. I wouldn't say he's a glorified blogger, yes, he has bad articles, but then again, who doesn't?

In the interest of fairness, I know Dayn and he does know a lot about the sport.

My issue with him isn't just the baseball knowledge, its that his actual writing is just not up to par. Its generally loaded with grammatical errors, bad information and research, etc. Which is another reason why he comes off less like a writer and more like a blogger.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 29, 2009 -> 10:02 AM)
Look at his moronic cubs trade for Roberts.

didn't the O's just sign Roberts to an extension? They have alot of good young talent coming up and if they have Roberts under control why would they want to trade him now for anything less than a complete haul?

I remember in 06, Perry went off on how we gave up too much for Thome... what a f***ing idiot. The only one who is doing good is Rowand (who isn't even with the Phillies anymore), and I'd much rather have Thome over him.

Edited by BearSox

Peavy's agent is in the media now (granted probably responding to questions)....and clarifying that all Peavy said "Right now.." it's best to stay in San Diego.

I'm bumping the thread, so i'm to blame - but i wish the media commentary would just finally keel over and die so i can totally forget this

Edited by Princess Dye