Gordon Beckham Called Up

flavum

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
this is weird. we have too many guys now for not enough spots... trade looming??

Josh Fields is not being traded...you couldn't get anything for Josh Fields now that you've given his spot to Beckham. Anyone talking to you would be expecting to buy low.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:40 PM)
1st one from that class to come anywhere close to this far right?

no, 3rd. Ryan Perry for the Tigers and some other kid... for some other team...

I think it would have been ideal for Beckham to spend this year in the minors at Birmingham and maybe get a September call-up, but he's earned this promotion and its really only about 90 days ahead of schedule, so even if he struggles a bit initially, he should be OK in the long run.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)
The only strange thing was it really was Betemit's inability to field at all that pretty much cost Josh Fields his every day job, although Josh could have done more to keep it, but they aren't going to call up Beckham to ride pine.

It's funny you bring that up. I wasn't 100% behind bringing Beckham up until after watching last night's game....a game in which Josh Fields didn't play.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
Josh Fields is not being traded...you couldn't get anything for Josh Fields now that you've given his spot to Beckham. Anyone talking to you would be expecting to buy low.

right i get that. it just seems weird that after such a good week, they would demote Josh to pure backup duties.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)
Cowley is talking about the plan is to get Fields a first baseman glove and start to work with him to backup Konerko as well as play 3rd.

Hopefully they can get him a decent number of at bats and he actually puts in serious work on improving his swing.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 08:42 PM)
right i get that. it just seems weird that after such a good week, they would demote Josh to pure backup duties.

Josh Fields only lost his job because Gordon Beckham was hitting .500+ at AAA.

Hopefully Josh does what he needs to do, keeps working, doesn't get the full Anderson, and next year he's right back at 3b with Beckham up the middle somewhere.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 08:42 PM)
The only thing I don't understand is the timing of this. Fields has been hitting much better over the last week or so.

2 days ago was the final deadline to delay arbitration for Beckham by another year.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
The only thing I don't understand is the timing of this. Fields has been hitting much better over the last week or so.

I'd love for him to get his feet wet at 2B while Getz is hurt.

Of course, if Ozzie insists on platooning CF, I'd rather he just stuck Alexei there and Gordo at short.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:43 PM)

Of course, if Ozzie insists on platooning CF, I'd rather he just stuck Alexei there and Gordo at short.

good point... if we see Beck at 3B and Nix at 2B... that's just silly.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)

GORDON BECKHAM WILL NOT TAKE AT BATS AWAY FROM DEWAYNE WISE.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
233 minor league at-bats. I hope hes ready

hes gonna take over chicago soon

He has Utley-like potential with a Swisher-like personality. He's going to be the most popular kid in town.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 10:45 PM)
He has Utley-like Talent with a Swisher-like personality. He's going to be the most popular kid in town.

let's not go so far as to say utley QUITE yet... let's see what he can do first.