THE OFFICIAL SOXTALK 2009 MLB DRAFT THREAD

southsider2k5

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
Nats selected Drew Storen. Wow, overdraft?

Nats were taking a signability pick and the whole world knwe it would be Storen. They are going to spend 20+M on the top pick, nothing wrong with a signability pick at 10. Storen will be moved back into the rotation.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:45 PM)
It's very much like what happened with Denard Span in 2002. Do not be suprised to see Matzek plummet.

I'm not familiar with Span's story? Was he a top guy going into the draft but wanted huge money?

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
So much for us getting Storen at 23. He really rose up a lot in the last few days.

And, btw, Dan mentioned it earlier, but the clapping after every pick is really annoying me.

The Nats were about the only team that had him that early and it was a signability thing. If the Nats took someone else, he goes in the 20-30 range.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
Nats were taking a signability pick and the whole world knwe it would be Storen. They are going to spend 20+M on the top pick, nothing wrong with a signability pick at 10. Storen will be moved back into the rotation.

It was either Storen or Jenkins there... Can't really go wrong with either one, I'm a big fan of both.

KC might take one of the Mizzu boys. Would be a great pick too and money hasn't got in there way in the past year or two. Last year they had a stellar draft and were very willing to pay.

I was wrong, Storen is going to stay in the pen, so he should make a pretty immediate impact for the Nats. They'll probably open the 2010 season with both of there 1st round picks on the MLB roster.

Rocks are either going prep arm or Borchering.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 06:49 PM)
I'm not familiar with Span's story? Was he a top guy going into the draft but wanted huge money?

Span was supposed to be drafted out of High School as the ninth pick in the 2002 draft by the Colorado Rockies. A couple of hours prior to the start of the draft Span’s agent announced that he wouldn’t take any less than 2.6 million for the kid. Span plummeted down to the Twins at 20.

Edited by Thunderbolt

Stellar pick by the Rockies. A prep lefty who was topping out at 97-98 during the high school playoffs out west. The guy is easily the best prep arm in the draft and that sort of power from the left side, especially out of high school is very very rare.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:52 PM)
Complete hunch, but I think the Royals snap up Crow here. They went local with a couple higher picks last year. They spent some money on guys too so they might not shy away from the 4 mill.

Good call