THE OFFICIAL SOXTALK 2009 MLB DRAFT THREAD

southsider2k5

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Tony Sanchez is a lock for the Pirates. Also, looks like San Diego is likely gonna go with Tate.

EDIT: The Pirates and Sanchez have reached a pre-draft deal, and he will be the pick, unless the Padres shock the world and select him.

Edited by BearSox

Doing a full mock was waaaaaaaay too tough. I'm gonna end a 20. However, boot it, the Yankees will select Slade Heathcott at pick 29.

1.) Nationals - RHSP Stephen Strasburg, San Diego St.

2.) Mariners - OF/1B/2B Dustin Ackley, UNC

3.) Padres - OF Donovan Tate, Georgia HS

4.) Pirates - C Tony Sanchez, Boston College

5.) Orioles - RHSP Aaron Crow, Independant

6.) Giants - LHSP Tyler Matzek, California HS

7.) Braves - RHSP Zack Wheeler, Georgia HS

8.) Reds - LHSP Mike Minor, Vanderbilt

9.) Tigers - RHSP Shelby Miller, Texas HS

10.) Nationals - RHSP Chad Jenkins, Kennesaw St.

11.) Rockies - RHSP Alex White, UNC

12.) Royals - C Wil Myers, North Carolina HS

13.) Athletics - SS Grant Green, USC

14.) Rangers - LHSP Matthew Purke, Texas HS

15.) Indians - LHSP Rex Brothers, Lipscomb

16.) Diamondbacks - 3B/1B/LF Bobby Borchering, Florida HS

17.) Dianmondbacks - RHSP Mike Leake, Arizona St.

18.) Marlins - LHSP Chad James, Oklahoma HS

19.) Cardinals - LHSP Andy Oliver, Oklahoma St.

20.) Blue Jays - LHSP James Paxton, Kentucky

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
Doing a full mock was waaaaaaaay too tough. I'm gonna end a 20. However, boot it, the Yankees will select Slade Heathcott at pick 29.

1.) Nationals - RHSP Stephen Strasburg, San Diego St.

2.) Mariners - OF/1B/2B Dustin Ackley, UNC

3.) Padres - OF Donovan Tate, Georgia HS

4.) Pirates - C Tony Sanchez, Boston College

5.) Orioles - RHSP Aaron Crow, Independant

6.) Giants - LHSP Tyler Matzek, California HS

7.) Braves - RHSP Zack Wheeler, Georgia HS

8.) Reds - LHSP Mike Minor, Vanderbilt

9.) Tigers - RHSP Shelby Miller, Texas HS

10.) Nationals - RHSP Chad Jenkins, Kennesaw St.

11.) Rockies - RHSP Alex White, UNC

12.) Royals - C Wil Myers, North Carolina HS

13.) Athletics - SS Grant Green, USC

14.) Rangers - LHSP Matthew Purke, Texas HS

15.) Indians - LHSP Rex Brothers, Lipscomb

16.) Diamondbacks - 3B/1B/LF Bobby Borchering, Florida HS

17.) Dianmondbacks - RHSP Mike Leake, Arizona St.

18.) Marlins - LHSP Chad James, Oklahoma HS

19.) Cardinals - LHSP Andy Oliver, Oklahoma St.

20.) Blue Jays - LHSP James Paxton, Kentucky

The Tate to SD thing makes me scratch my head a little as it has been in a lot of the mocks in the last few days. SD is trying to save money everywhere and is ditching payroll as much as it can but they are willing to take the player who is going to command the second highest bonus in the draft? The only reasoning could be that they dont intend to sign him at all and roll the pick over to next season.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
a buddy of mine who is a good contact tells me the sox really like brothers if hes there

Brothers is a guy the Sox want but it seems unlikely that he'll fall, especially with the prep demands. Who knows though.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)
Sox are all over Oklahoma RHP Garrett Richards for the 38th pick. I'm pretty sure he's got a big time heater.

If he's there yes. You have a source on that? He throws mid 90's with a big yacker. I talked about him in one of the other threads.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
Also, Mitchell to the Blue Jays is picking up steam. One of their scouting directors helped recruit him to LSU.

The Jays have the recruiting connection and than the Twins have the prior draft connection. There is a good shot he's gone when it comes to the Sox selection. I see them going outfielder (unless Brothers/Arnett is around) and than taking a pitcher with the next selection and than probably a catcher with one of the top 5 picks but the rest will probably again be pitchers. I'm hoping they are agressive and take a shot on a prepster that falls too.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
Brothers is a guy the Sox want but it seems unlikely that he'll fall, especially with the prep demands. Who knows though.

Keith Law has the Sox taking Brothers in his final mock draft. He also lists Trout and Fuentes as players they'd be interested in if Rex is gone.

The first 8 picks are pretty much set:

1. Nats - Strasburg

2. M's - Ackley

3. Padres - Tate

4. Pirates - Sanchez

5. O's - Hobgood

6. Giants - Wheeler

7. Braves - Minor

8. Reds - Matzek OR White

Mayo said Matzek, Callis said White

I'll s*** my pants if Crow falls to 23. Some teams worry about his mechanics, but I think they are fine and he'll stay healthy for at least until he's 30.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:06 PM)
The first 8 picks are pretty much set:

1. Nats - Strasburg

2. M's - Ackley

3. Padres - Tate

4. Pirates - Sanchez

5. O's - Hobgood

6. Giants - Wheeler

7. Braves - Minor

8. Reds - Matzek OR White

Mayo said Matzek, Callis said White

I'll s*** my pants if Crow falls to 23. Some teams worry about his mechanics, but I think they are fine and he'll stay healthy for at least until he's 30.

Scheppers or Crow would be amazing and would certainly fit the bill of a "high upside" player that Rick Hahn said we were after on sabermetrics night.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
Scheppers or Crow would be amazing and would certainly fit the bill of a "high upside" player that Rick Hahn said we were after on sabermetrics night.

The only problem is that they'll both be wanting at least 3 million (they really have no bargaining chip as they don't want wait another year), and we are rumored to be going cheap. And 3 million is top 10 money.

There's talk of crow slipping out of the first now, because of his contract demands...

Oh man, I'll be so pissed if he's there and we don't draft him. He's got no leverage as there's no way he would go through this again, his value would probably decrease. Come on now, don't get cheap!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 04:31 PM)
There's talk of crow slipping out of the first now, because of his contract demands...

Oh man, I'll be so pissed if he's there and we don't draft him. He's got no leverage as there's no way he would go through this again, his value would probably decrease. Come on now, don't get cheap!!!!!!!!

Don't get your hopes up. I'd obviously love to believe we'd take him if he falls but I just don't see that happening.

My dream worthy, jizz worthy, living the high life draft (with players who seem to have a shot at being available):

23 - Crow

38 - Trout

61 - Dominguez

71 - Walla or Baily

102 - Volz

133 - Seastrunk

Never gonna happen, but I can hope.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 04:39 PM)
Are there any "Gordon Beckham"s in this years draft that I should pay attention to? I'm not really familiar with any of their names or positions or talents in this years draft

This year's draft is supposedly deeper, but the first round is a lot worse. Last year's first round was also one of the better ones talent wise, or at least that's what we've been told and so far it seems right.

You know whats weird? I just found the MLB network on my Comcast programming, and flipped it on, then I looked and realized it was smack dab in the middle of the HD channels(I dont have an HD tv) and immediately hit guide to find the normal channel.

Except for some odd reason, MLBHD is working for me. Whats up with that?