SOXTALK DRAFT THREAD, DAY TWO

southsider2k5

I'm not going to bump it because people might dig out mean quotes to show others up, but I'm reading the '08 draft thread and it's really funny to me. A decent amount of people upset with the Beckham pick, but a lot of people liked it. Maybe a slightly better reaction than to the Mitchell pick, which is funny. I might go back to 07 since we have a slightly better feel for those guys. I know the Poreda pick came out of leftfield.

I did say "So now we/I start hoping Jordan Danks falls to us in the 3rd and we actually take him," after the Gordon pick. Guess that worked out, even if I was wrong round wise haha.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we take Beckham I'm going to throw-up all over my keyboard.

. . .

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I honestly think I might too.

. . .

DAMNIT!

meh...

barf.

F F F F F F F F S S S S S S GD GD GD GD GD MF MF MF MF!!!!!

. . .

Yay! We got a right handed hitting version of Chris Getz! Awesome!

bad pick

Boo

I'm not going to bump it because people might dig out mean quotes to show others up, but I'm reading the '08 draft thread and it's really funny to me. A decent amount of people upset with the Beckham pick, but a lot of people liked it. Maybe a slightly better reaction to the Mitchell pick, which is funny. I might go back to 07 since we have a slightly better feel for those guys. I know the Poreda pick came out of leftfield.

Well you put me up to it.. :P Just saw it myself. Didn't get a chance to share my knowledge on that draft since I was gone, but jesus we got some real "experts" on that draft, hell days leading up to it (predictions thread, draft discussion, etc..). Props to Cerb (called the Beckham pick) Jason, Heads (esp. bringing sanity to that draft thread), DBAH0 (wanted Gordo the whole time) dasox, you dan, etc..

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 09:11 PM)
I was told tonight we're confident we can sign Thompson, but Goodwin is about a 10% likely signee.

mychael thompson was on mully and hanley and said Trayce really wants to and fully intends to go pro....also said they are "working to finalize" things with the white sox....sounds pretty good

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 08:04 AM)
i said meh... at the time (and perhaps even still now) I wanted Smoak or Brett Wallace...though now Beckham > Wallace....still not sure about Smoak though

Why take Smoak or Wallace when Brandon Allen was having a nice year?

QUOTE (Seymizzle @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 08:12 AM)
Why take Smoak or Wallace when Brandon Allen was having a nice year?

Smoak>>>>>>>>>Allen

Wallace>>>>Allen

IMO

Not to mention you should always take the best available prospect in the draft. If you have Smoak and Allen, you trade one for a young SS or pitcher or whatever your need is.

Look at what Laporta got the Brewers.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 08:21 AM)
Smoak>>>>>>>>>Allen

Wallace>>>>Allen

IMO

Not to mention you should always take the best available prospect in the draft. If you have Smoak and Allen, you trade one for a young SS or pitcher or whatever your need is.

exactly....brandon allen is faaaaaar from a sure thing and certainly is the quality of player that causes you to alter draft plans...

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 09:21 AM)
Smoak>>>>>>>>>Allen

Wallace>>>>Allen

IMO

With a high first round pick I would almost always draft the best player available based on organizational need. The only exception is if by doing so your passing up on a can't miss player that's exceedingly better that the one you draft. Gordon exhibits the same attributes as Justin at a position the sox organization was in desperate need of. At our draft position just don't see the point of drafting a first baseman when we had a good one already in the system.

I personally wanted the sox to draft Aaron Hicks because there is a need for speedy outfielders.

QUOTE (Seymizzle @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
With a high first round pick I would almost always draft the best player available based on organizational need. The only exception is if by doing so your passing up on a can't miss player that's exceedingly better that the one you draft. Gordon exhibits the same attributes as Justin at a position the sox organization was in desperate need of. At our draft position just don't see the point of drafting a first baseman when we had a good one already in the system.

I personally wanted the sox to draft Aaron Hicks because there is a need for speedy outfielders.

Smoak is a better hitter. If the Sox thought Beckham was a better overall player, and position can go into this (SS is usually stressed as a harder position to play and most SS are considered more athletic anyways) then I am fine with it. But Smoak IS a better hitter. You can never have to many great hitters in your system, I dont care what position and who else plays it. You can find room for guys with big bats, or you can make room. You win either way.

Took me a while to see me give any analysis but than I found it:

I like Beckham so I have no issues. Would have loved Posey though. Either way, excited to have a guy like Beckham in the Sox system. Even after drafting Beckham, I still want Crawford (SS) from UCLA. I have a strategy of drafting boatloads of SS's because they are the best athletes out there and can always be converted to other positions.

I'd also be thrilled if Danks fell, THRILLED.

And I still wish we had taken Crawford. He was on BA's list of great value picks in last years draft (based upon professional production). And we all know Dan and I had the biggest JorDanks mancrushes around.

Not saying BA is the gospel, but this is based on there discussions with some scouts (who regardless of what any of us think of a pick, know a thing or two more than any of us). It sounds as if no one is questioning whether Beckham is good enough of an athlete to stick at short, its just a matter of his hands (not range, not arm). Hope this shuts some of you up that don't even think he can play 2B, cause thats just blasphemy.

More of my expert analysis. Pretty much holds true to this day, imo (between Beckham and Smoak). Luckily Skipworth isn't there as he's struggled mightily thus far. I still like his long term future but I'lld take Becks over him, haha.

While no one questions his ability to hit, scouts are split on whether Beckham has the hands to stay at shortstop. He has the instincts and is athletic with enough range and arm strength to stick at the premium position.

This guy has above average bat speed and generates power to all fields. Smoak is a better pure hitter, but that doesn't necessarily indicate he's the better prospect. If both reach there upside, I'll take Beckham (cause that means your getting a SS who hits for average, power, and plays solid defense (not gold glove defense). To me that is more important than a first baseman who mashes (look around the majors and you'll see a lot more first baseman that mash than shortstops that put up those type of numbers).

I would have had no problem with Beckham or Crow for that matter but the only guy I'd truly have had a hissy fit with is if we passed on Posey (and to a lesser extent Skipworth).

Another doosie, this time me ripping on Fathom (which I almost never do, but it was too good not to relive, haha):

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)

I'm not too upset they didn't. He's fallen this far, and there's a reason for that: he's nothing special. The Morel pick doesn't do much for me, but I'd rather they take a potential offensive player than pitcher at this stage.

Thats bulls***. Watch him play and tell me he's nothing special. People don't love him cause he doesn't excel at any one thing, but he's good at EVERYTHING. The guy is a tremendous value at this point in time (I've probably seen at least 10 Texas games solely to watch him).

His counterpart, Kyle Gibson, a lot more power, a lot more overhyped, and a very long/ugly swing.

And maybe the best quote from the entire 2008 draft thread, it goes to BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 05:24 PM)

If Kenny Williams Jr. ever sniffs the big leagues, I'll f***ing kiss your balls.

If I'm wrong... Who's balls do I have to kiss again?

Also, Gage, you were dead on about how we should have drafted Crawford. Still K's a ton, but he's been hitting this year, and his ability to play SS could also translate to 3B, 2B, or even maybe even somewhere in the OF.

Morel, while he seems like a decent player, he's just meh.

Edited by BearSox

garsonf (Chicago): Likelihood of reaching them aside, which White Sox OF draftee has a higher ceiling: Mitchell or Thompson? While we're here, are the Sox going to get Thompson signed?

Kevin Goldstein: Thompson has the higher ceiling, which almost sounds insane when you consider how high Mitchell's is. I was shocked to see Trayce go in the second round, and I get the feeling that the White Sox know something about his signability that I don't. I have a call I have to do, but I'll be back real soon.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 10:28 AM)
If I'm wrong... Who's balls do I have to kiss again?

Also, Gage, you were dead on about how we should have drafted Crawford. Still K's a ton, but he's been hitting this year, and his ability to play SS could also translate to 3B, 2B, or even maybe even somewhere in the OF.

Morel, while he seems like a decent player, he's just meh.

I think it was rocks. Morel seems like maybe a Bill Mueller type of ball player. He was a big over-draft though, plain and simple, as was Kenny Jr.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 07:04 AM)
i said meh... at the time (and perhaps even still now) I wanted Smoak or Brett Wallace...though now Beckham > Wallace....still not sure about Smoak though

I really wanted Smoak. I won't deny it, I knew NOTHING about the minors, draft, talent, etc. back then. I still wouldn't have minded the Smoak pick, but it is what it is. I like the way Beckham fits into our system.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 02:12 AM)
I'm not going to bump it because people might dig out mean quotes to show others up, but I'm reading the '08 draft thread and it's really funny to me. A decent amount of people upset with the Beckham pick, but a lot of people liked it. Maybe a slightly better reaction than to the Mitchell pick, which is funny. I might go back to 07 since we have a slightly better feel for those guys. I know the Poreda pick came out of leftfield.

I did say "So now we/I start hoping Jordan Danks falls to us in the 3rd and we actually take him," after the Gordon pick. Guess that worked out, even if I was wrong round wise haha.

Just went back through and read a couple different years' draft threads. I'm glad I didn't make myself look like a dumbass in the '08 thread. The '05 and '06 threads were funny. A good bit of optimism about Broadway, but also a lot of pissed off people that we didn't take Brian Bogesevic or Cesar Carillo. Turns out we made the right choice, even if Broadway never amounted to too much. And lots of people hated the McCulloch pick in '06.