Healthcare reform

kapkomet

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)
I know people want reform. Duh. We've all said that. But where the line is... is the public "OPTION", which in reality, isn't an "OPTION" at all over time. That's where the polls turn pretty dramatically, and that has been and continues to be my point. That's why the town halls and all of that happened. My point is no more or no less.

And BS, seriously, I don't watch Fox News. I think I've had it on a total of about two hours in the last two years. Maybe I should start.

You are under the assumption that everyone knows/thinks this.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, the public option is what we are talking about. When polled people say they want the public option.

Now say you are worried about the slippery slope to single-payer.

The law as is cannot allow that to happen without a complete re-drafting. So that fight'll come when it comes. So, it's likely that we make this a medicare type system that people are happy with, and that's that.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 12:56 PM)
You are under the assumption that everyone knows/thinks this.

"Iiffff Youuu (youuuu) likeee (likkeeee) yoouurrr (youuur) current (current) plannnnn (plannnn) youuuu (youuu) can (can) keeeeeep (keeep) ittt (ittt)." Please. HB3200 totally dismisses that - TECHNICALLY that's correct but everyone gets pushed over to the "public option" eventually and that is what pisses people off. And that's exactly what's going to get "reconciled".

Again, and again, and again, the majority of people do not want GOVERNMENT providing the country health care. Reform? Hell yes. Government takeover? Hell no.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
the polls don't turn pretty dramatically, the public option is more popular than the president.

Wow, really?

(goose stepping)...

The government needs to do everything for me.

/official drone

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
"Iiffff Youuu (youuuu) likeee (likkeeee) yoouurrr (youuur) current (current) plannnnn (plannnn) youuuu (youuu) can (can) keeeeeep (keeep) ittt (ittt)." Please. HB3200 totally dismisses that - TECHNICALLY that's correct but everyone gets pushed over to the "public option" eventually and that is what pisses people off. And that's exactly what's going to get "reconciled".

Again, and again, and again, the majority of people do not want GOVERNMENT providing the country health care. Reform? Hell yes. Government takeover? Hell no.

No, HB3200, as I recall it quoted in here and elsewhere, says that if you DO NOT HAVE private coverage, you either have to buy into the public plan, or pay a penalty. Correct?

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 02:00 PM)

Again. You assume that the slippery slope argument that you just laid out is not only accepted as incontrovertible fact by everyone, but is automatically in the back of their minds whenever the subject is brought up to them. You're somehow, kind of bizarrely actually, projecting your view onto everyone else. It doesn't work like that, when people look at a poll about a public option maybe 35% of people, tops, actually see "government healtchare, yes or no" and most of those people are the ones who would vote "no" to begin with.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 01:46 PM)
You guys live in a paralell universe or something. The town halls were all people that were paid, planted, and "organized" BY INSURANCE LOBBYISTS just like Obama said they would, right? It couldn't be that people don't want government run health care. It just couldn't be.

Angry people and seniors go to town hall meetings. They aren't always indicative of anything, frankly. Poll after poll about public options have come out showing strong support for a public option.

NYT/CBS poll - Would you favor or oppose the government offering a government-administered health insurance plan similar to Medicare that would compete with private health care plans?

Yes - 65, No - 26

WashPo/ABC poll - Would you support or oppose having the government create a new health insurance plan to compete with private health insurance plans?

Yes - 55, No - 42

Economist/YouGov poll - Do you favor or oppose...having a 'public option' which would allow individuals to purchase health care insurance coverage from the government?"

Yes - 47 No - 32

Kaiser Family Foundation poll - Is now the right time to pass health care reform?

Yes - 57, No - 39

All polls from September.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
No, HB3200, as I recall it quoted in here and elsewhere, says that if you DO NOT HAVE private coverage, you either have to buy into the public plan, or pay a penalty. Correct?

Ok. and what effect do you think that is going to have? I have to get the public option or I have to pay a penalty to pay for the public option anyway. Gees.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)

No, they don't, unless you're still in the "it'll bankrupt every private insurer" fantasy land.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
Ok. and what effect do you think that is going to have? I have to get the public option or I have to pay a penalty to pay for the public option anyway. Gees.

Or, the third option you've completely left off, you buy a private insurance plan and pay no penalty.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 01:11 PM)
No, they don't, unless you're still in the "it'll bankrupt every private insurer" fantasy land.

I am. Because it will. Oh wait, the government is going to subsidize everything - aka, we'll give you money if you do what we say. And that's still taking over private industry.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
I am. Because it will. Oh wait, the government is going to subsidize everything - aka, we'll give you money if you do what we say. And that's still taking over private industry.

Why doesn't that happen in every country with far more government involvement in health care/ insurance than what's being proposed here? Why doesn't reality match conservative ideology?

your right. We should let all companies compete against state lines (to insure no regulation) and mandate everyone buy insurance (as every bill has).

That way we are protecting business! America's business is business!