Healthcare reform

kapkomet

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
OOPS!

Accounting Firm Admits Cost Savings Left Out Of Report Prepared For AHIP Report

So, the report being waved around by the GOP and featured prominently on their icky new website failed to include some major parts.

PWC didn't forget anything - the insurance companies asked PWC to only analyze certain, specific aspects... then released the report with big flashy numbers that led people to believe it was all-inclusive. Basically, PWC got duped, then the insurance companies tried to dupe everyone else. Embarrassing for PWC, and insulting towards the general public that these insurance idiots thought they could slip one past us.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)
PWC didn't forget anything - the insurance companies asked PWC to only analyze certain, specific aspects... then released the report with big flashy numbers that led people to believe it was all-inclusive. Basically, PWC got duped, then the insurance companies tried to dupe everyone else. Embarrassing for PWC, and insulting towards the general public that these insurance idiots thought they could slip one past us.

The White House warned yesterday that it was a self-serving report... guess they were right.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)

I don't think it's possible to insult the general public, we have proved we're as stupid as the cynics think we are time and time again.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 08:12 AM)

Really, they got duped? You mean they have no idea how this type of report was going to be used? Well, fool them once, shame on, shame on you, fool, you can't get fooled again.

In the hallowed tradition of the tobacco and energy industries, the health insurance industry has commissioned a report (pdf) projecting doom and despair for those who seek to reform its business practices. The report was farmed out to the consultancy PricewaterhouseCoopers, which has something of a history with this sort of thing: In the early-'90s, the tobacco industry commissioned PWC to estimate the economic devastation that would result from a tax on tobacco. The report was later analyzed by the Arthur Andersen Economic Consulting group, which concluded that "the cumulative effect of PW’s methods … is to produce patently unreliable results." It's perhaps no surprise that the patently unreliable results were all in the tobacco industry's favor. He who pays the piper names the tune, and all that.
They're not being duped, they're being paid a lot of money to attach their name to a report designed to serve a political purpose. Kill the bill or at least damage it significantly, and no one ever is able to see whether or not its correct.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
If be "we" you mean a large swath of people but not all (and not me or you), then I agree.

I can't avoid using the word "we" because I sound arrogant so I have to use the pretense that it includes everyone. Although it's implicit that it doesn't include the minority of smart people.

Oh f*** it who am I kidding? I'm better than most people and I know it. :high5:

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 08:49 AM)
If be "we" you mean a large swath of people but not all (and not me or you), then I agree.

It's difficult to make a person understand something when his or her salary depends on not understanding it.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
It's amazing that it took all this effort to get one moderate republican to vote for a watered down bill.

Its even more amazing the Democrats couldn't hold their own coalition together for one of their pet issues. This could have been done months ago.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
Its even more amazing the Democrats couldn't hold their own coalition together for one of their pet issues. This could have been done months ago.

Its really not amazing because a bunch of conservative democrats were elected to replace conservative republicans. That's why the OMG 60 SEATS! hysteria was so stupid.

Of the supposed 400-500 billion savings from Medicare, how much will actually be saved? Congress has yet to implement previous attempts to save using the same method. And if they do not act where do we make up that 400-500 billion? ANd add to that the fact that the Baucus bill will make insurance MORE expensive as the AHIP report stated.

+90 billion= the amount by which the Ways and Means committee underestimated the eventual cost of Medicare.

Why is it so hard to realize that costs always out strip savings in any legislation in Washington....

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
Of the supposed 400-500 billion savings from Medicare, how much will actually be saved? Congress has yet to implement previous attempts to save using the same method. And if they do not act where do we make up that 400-500 billion? ANd add to that the fact that the Baucus bill will make insurance MORE expensive as the AHIP report stated.

+90 billion= the amount by which the Ways and Means committee underestimated the eventual cost of Medicare.

Why is it so hard to realize that costs always out strip savings in any legislation in Washington....

Because they don't care.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)

LOL :lolhitting priceless

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)

Not to mention that tax increases are being counted as pluses in the budget when any idiot economist knows that health care is going to have a near zero beta. Any tax increases will be passed on in higher costs, which means you are just shifting costs from one source to another. It doesn't make it any cheaper.