6/18 Sox @ Cubs 1:20 CSN

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:31 PM)
I fully expect the Cubs to still win their division, its just that terrible and their talent level is so much higher than every other team.

I said it before the season started in a thread or two, if anyone in the division made a significant move I would pick them, but they didn't so I picked the Cubs and will stick with it. Now, that's subject to change if the Cards add a big bat or the Brewers add a good SP.

Their payroll is over 130m and they are now .500, congratulations.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
I said it before the season started in a thread or two, if anyone in the division made a significant move I would pick them, but they didn't so I picked the Cubs and will stick with it. Now, that's subject to change if the Cards add a big bat or the Brewers add a good SP.

Their payroll is over 130m and they are now .500, congratulations.

The Brewers would need a serious Ace for me to think they would stay in it for the long haul.

Being upset about the team losing and posting irrationally how terrible Ozzie is are two different things. The guy made several good calls this entire series and one pitcher messes up and he's terrible.

It would be irrational if this was the first time it happened.

It starts to become a valid complaint when half of the thread prior to Linebrink even throwing a pitch become nervous about his ability.

Not only that, but its why did Ozzie just leave him out to die.

What good pitching calls has Ozzie made lately?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
my night is completely ruined because of this.

I've been there too many times. Typically it is against Minnesota or worse, losing a night's sleep after watching the Sox blow one late in Oakland. They're my favorite team but they are still a bunch of strangers form other parts of the country and very likely don't give a damn about you. It's not worth ruining your night. Take a deep breath and slowly exhale. Repeat if necessary.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
Yep, their starting 5 is just so much better than Milwaukee's. When the wind starts blowing out, these guys will remember how to hit again.

I fully expect them to win it and they do have a solid rotation, but some of the conditions have factored in to why their SP has been dominating and their hitting has struggled, it will even out a little.

Also, as far as A-Ramirez goes, he will obviously be a shot in the arm, but the toughest pitch to handle with a shoulder injury (and will probably still be a factor because he's going to have to have surgery in the offseason) is the pitch away from you, which is his bread and butter. He struggles with inside below his hands, so he will contribute because he's that talented, but I don't think he'll be 100%.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
I've been there too many times. Typically it is against Minnesota or worse, losing a night's sleep after watching the Sox blow one late in Oakland. They're my favorite team but they are still a bunch of strangers form other parts of the country and very likely don't give a damn about you. It's not worth ruining your night. Take a deep breath and slowly exhale. Repeat if necessary.

That and it would ruin 80 nights a summer which just isnt a good way to live.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:35 PM)
What good pitching calls has Ozzie made lately?

He had been doing a fantastic job with this all year, and then starting with the Tigers series, he's been really struggling. I can't remember the last time Thornton pitched in a close game that we were winning. It's been either mop-up duty or in a tie game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
The Brewers would need a serious Ace for me to think they would stay in it for the long haul.

I would if I expected the Cubs to dominate for a long stretch and win 95+, I just don't see that this year from them and the Brewers can mash enough to stick around. Again, Cubs to win it, but they won't run away. If Votto and Volquez come back the Reds will stick around too. Basically outside of the Pirates the division is a little tougher this year

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:37 PM)
That and it would ruin 80 nights a summer which just isnt a good way to live.

Only cause it's against the Cubs I think. The losses this year have affected me less than any year since 2005.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
He had been doing a fantastic job with this all year, and then starting with the Tigers series, he's been really struggling. I can't remember the last time Thornton pitched in a close game that we were winning. It's been either mop-up duty or in a tie game.

There are always going to be mistakes made. To be honest, I was actually looking for Poreda in the 8th specifically to keep the ball in the park.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)
I would if I expected the Cubs to dominate for a long stretch and win 95+, I just don't see that this year from them and the Brewers can mash enough to stick around. Again, Cubs to win it, but they won't run away. If Votto and Volquez come back the Reds will stick around too. Basically outside of the Pirates the division is a little tougher this year

The Reds are awful! Their lineup is pathetic, and don't look for Volquez to return soon. The team that can hang with the Cubs is the Cardinals, but they need an upgrade at either SS or 3B.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:39 PM)
There are always going to be mistakes made. To be honest, I was actually looking for Poreda in the 8th specifically to keep the ball in the park.

The Sox starters are a great matchup against the Cubs and the bullpen doesn't matchup well against them. Sox got burned in a bad loss.

If Getz/BA/or Beckham continue to hit well and have good ABs, I think Ozzie should slot one of them to 2nd position and drop Alexei to 7th. Looks like he is getting hotter, but would like a better quality AB in the 2nd then his power potential lower

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)
The Reds are awful! Their lineup is pathetic, and don't look for Volquez to return soon. The team that can hang with the Cubs is the Cardinals, but they need an upgrade at either SS or 3B.

now you just jinxed the away series I am going to asshole.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)

Why I put those two "ifs" in there, Votto makes them MUCH better, he is a hell of a hitter and Volquez is about 2-3 weeks away. Also, Harang is better than he was last year and Cueto can be up and down, but he's a tough guy to face.

Again, I'm not trying to say anyone in that division is the '27 Yankees, I'm just trying to point out that the teams are slightly improved and are going to give the Cubs tougher games than last year

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 09:41 PM)
now you just jinxed the away series I am going to asshole.

Hey, we had no problem losing to an awful A's team either! It will almost definitely be low scoring games this weekend.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:45 PM)
Why I put those two "ifs" in there, Votto makes them MUCH better, he is a hell of a hitter and Volquez is about 2-3 weeks away. Also, Harang is better than he was last year and Cueto can be up and down, but he's a tough guy to face.

Again, I'm not trying to say anyone in that division is the '27 Yankees, I'm just trying to point out that the teams are slightly improved and are going to give the Cubs tougher games than last year

Oh believe me, I hope they stay in the race and at least make the Cubs play good baseball to get past them into 3rd place.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:46 PM)
Oh believe me, I hope they stay in the race and at least make the Cubs play good baseball to get past them into 3rd place.

That's all I'm trying to point out. I discounted the Pirates before, but they actually are playing slightly better than last year, which again, isn't saying much, but the Cubs aren't going to roll the teams like they did last year IMO.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:39 PM)
Only cause it's against the Cubs I think. The losses this year have affected me less than any year since 2005.

I understand. Baby steps. Wait until you have a kid or three. The games start becoming background noise.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
Defensively Getz has been mediocre at best.

People are forgetting Getz saved a run earlier in the game with that dazzling highlight play up the middle. I think he is just fine at 2b and hes starting to really hit the ball well.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
Soxtalk: Lollipop-edition.

We don't work hard to create and operate a site like this to sit around and get spit on all the time. You my friend can go have fun somewhere else and don't let the door hit you on the ass.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
As of this moment, are we still sellers? I think so because we have the toughest schedule left.

knowing KW and this org, anywhere from 4-6 at the deadline will not make them sellers. The only way I could see a piece moving if they are "in it" is if they get blown away by an offer, say The Count continues to pitch well and a bidding war between 2-3 teams starts, then I could see a move.

That could actually happen because they won't trade Danks, Floyd or MB, probably not Richard unless it's for another SP as part of a package and the SP trade market is very shallow, especially with Peavy out for a long time.