Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

Hmmm, I dunno if Memphis would be willing to give up Gay, although it probably seems likely that he'll bolt in the off-season (although they do seem to finally have something building in Memphis).

And I don't know if PHX would be willing to do that, considering it's probably doubtful that they'd re-sign Gay (considering Robert Sarver is such a tight-arse).

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 01:16 AM)
Hasn't PHO been paying the luxury tax for like the last 5 years?

I don't know if they are paying it this season but they have been for the past few.

There were rumors that Sarver wanted Jason Richardson's deal to be included for any deal with Amare also.

If I'm PHX, I'd rather Beasley over Gay straight up. At least you have Michael locked up at a good rate for another 2 seasons after this.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
Why would the Grizzlies mess with what appears to be a playoff team right now in exchange for Michael Beasley?

Why would Phoenix be more interested in Gay than Beasley but the Grizzlies would be more interested in Beasley than Gay?

Memphis isn't a playoff team with Rudy Gay or Michael Beasley this year.

Memphis would have a younger version of Gay that is under control for 2 more years.

Phoenix would get a very good young player in Gay that they could re-sign for cheaper than Amare, or let both Gay and Richardson go and have cap room this offseason.

Phoenix doesn't want Beasley for whatever reason, otherwise Memphis wouldn't be needed in a deal between Miami and Phoenix.

Edit: I would guess that the Heat would have to throw in DQ Cook to Phoenix or a 1st round pick, and that would break the deal for me if it must be a 1st.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 07:59 AM)
I doubt a guy who is the best in the league at his position is worried about Deng. If he wanted to play in Chicago, that isn't something that would stop him. Its not like he is going to lose playing time to him or something.

LeBron plays a 2/3 combo, right? Well, there ya go. When LeBron is at 2, Deng is at 3 until we can trade him.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 10:56 AM)
LeBron plays a 2/3 combo, right? Well, there ya go. When LeBron is at 2, Deng is at 3 until we can trade him.

Yes, Lebron can play some PF. The question though is...what does LBJ want to play. If he wants to play SF on a team that is weak at that spot but strong elsewhere, he can do that. If he doesn't want to play 40% of his minutes at PF and he doesn't want to go to a team stuck trying to move a contract for a SF because that'll hurt them long-term, what can you do? If he wants to play a fair amount of time at PF, obviously you'd be crazy to say no, but the thing to remember is that all of the power is in his court to decide what he wants to do.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 15, 2010 -> 08:44 PM)
Your correct, but he is still miles better than VDN. Sucks to hear about Karl, but I would love to see us land Byron Scott. (job he did with CP3 from his rookie year on, was amazing and even CP3 credited Scott) I still feel Derrick has lost some development from the VDN regime, especially playing in a half court set.

Just say no to Byron. He's terrible.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 05:59 AM)
I doubt a guy who is the best in the league at his position is worried about Deng. If he wanted to play in Chicago, that isn't something that would stop him. Its not like he is going to lose playing time to him or something.

Plus with Deng playing the way he is, the Bulls could use him as a sign and trade chip for someone like a Chris Bosh, etc. They could even move him for an Al Jefferson.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 11:39 AM)
Plus with Deng playing the way he is, the Bulls could use him as a sign and trade chip for someone like a Chris Bosh, etc. They could even move him for an Al Jefferson.

IMO, if there was anyone in the league remotely willing to take on Deng's contract in exchange for something valuable, he'd be long gone already.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 08:43 AM)
IMO, if there was anyone in the league remotely willing to take on Deng's contract in exchange for something valuable, he'd be long gone already.

Right now the Bulls are only going to move him for expirings. If not, they'll hold onto him and eventually use him as a S/T component. Deng is quietly having a really really good season and from what I've read he has solid trade value.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
Right now the Bulls are only going to move him for expirings. If not, they'll hold onto him and eventually use him as a S/T component. Deng is quietly having a really really good season and from what I've read he has solid trade value.

I can't see anyone taking on Deng for an expiring deal right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 09:17 AM)
I can't see anyone taking on Deng for an expiring deal right now.

Which is why he hasn't moved. The Bulls would only move Deng if that sort of offer was on the table and I believe the only deal they could possibly do that allows that to happen would be a McGrady deal, but I find that very unlikely.

Otherwise, Deng will stay here this off-season until the Bulls are able to sign a FA (or two) and at that point the team will decide whether Deng fits the current lineup or if they would be better served dealing him for another guy whose signed long-term but is a better positional fit (Al Jefferson is an option). Or he would be part of a sign and trade for a Rudy Gay, etc.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 11:26 AM)
Which is why he hasn't moved. The Bulls would only move Deng if that sort of offer was on the table and I believe the only deal they could possibly do that allows that to happen would be a McGrady deal, but I find that very unlikely.

Otherwise, Deng will stay here this off-season until the Bulls are able to sign a FA (or two) and at that point the team will decide whether Deng fits the current lineup or if they would be better served dealing him for another guy whose signed long-term but is a better positional fit (Al Jefferson is an option). Or he would be part of a sign and trade for a Rudy Gay, etc.

I think the Bulls pay Deng a lot less than McGrady is paid, so we would still have to move salaries into there, which would really take players off of the court for the Bulls.

Back to the Amar'e subject. I've read that PHX sees Cleveland as a last resort. They want more than just Hickson & Big Z who they plan to just waive anyway. I've also read that they're not that interested in Beasley. Either way it's looking like this Bulls team is staying in tact past the trade deadline.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 09:33 AM)
I think the Bulls pay Deng a lot less than McGrady is paid, so we would still have to move salaries into there, which would really take players off of the court for the Bulls.

Deng, Tyrus Thomas, and John Salmons for McGrady would work. I don't know if the Rockets have interest in that offer, but it would do wonders for the Bulls and if you got a 3rd team involved (for example, a team that wanted Tyrus Thomas), you could see the Rockets receive some draft picks and other stuff.

The big issue is that I highly doubt the Rockets have any interest in Deng (since they have Battier and Ariza on the wing). Albeit, Deng is a superior all around player to both.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)
Back to the Amar'e subject. I've read that PHX sees Cleveland as a last resort. They want more than just Hickson & Big Z who they plan to just waive anyway. I've also read that they're not that interested in Beasley. Either way it's looking like this Bulls team is staying in tact past the trade deadline.

I don't think so. The Bulls are going to make a few trades.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
Deng, Tyrus Thomas, and John Salmons for McGrady would work. I don't know if the Rockets have interest in that offer, but it would do wonders for the Bulls and if you got a 3rd team involved (for example, a team that wanted Tyrus Thomas), you could see the Rockets receive some draft picks and other stuff.

The big issue is that I highly doubt the Rockets have any interest in Deng (since they have Battier and Ariza on the wing). Albeit, Deng is a superior all around player to both.

That would decimate the Bulls chances to do anything this year. Most of the other deals that are being talked about bring back as many players as we would get, and would give us players that would probably not be hurt in a week.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
That would decimate the Bulls chances to do anything this year. Most of the other deals that are being talked about bring back as many players as we would get, and would give us players that would probably not be hurt in a week.

If the Bulls could clear Salmons, Tyrus, and Deng's salaries and put themselves into a position to legitimately make a run at more than 1 top FA, and they didn't do it because they were wanting to get themselves into the 8th slot this year to lose to the Cavs in the opening round...well, I think that'd be pitchforks and torches time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
If the Bulls could clear Salmons, Tyrus, and Deng's salaries and put themselves into a position to legitimately make a run at more than 1 top FA, and they didn't do it because they were wanting to get themselves into the 8th slot this year to lose to the Cavs in the opening round...well, I think that'd be pitchforks and torches time.

The best way to convince players to come here is for stars to think they can win here. Otherwise we are the Clippers. Its also kinda misleading to say that they are eighth, because they also sit exactly one game out of sixth, and three point five games out of fifth. If they manage things right and dump salaries, plus somehow get into the second round it will do a lot more to convince players to come here than to go 10-30 in the second half because they traded off the entire team.