Cubs @ Sox 3:05 6-26

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)
Yeah, when Nix is playing 2B, that is. Getz is mediocre at best defensively.

Getz is average to above average, IMO.

Some of his problems may come from having Ramirez at SS; i.e. Double Plays, defensive positioning.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 27, 2009 -> 01:19 AM)
Getz is average to above average, IMO.

Some of his problems may come from having Ramirez at SS; i.e. Double Plays, defensive positioning.

I'd say he's average. For a "grinder", he's shown some questionable baseball IQ. Like you said, who knows who's to blame for all the issues the infield seems to have. The one thing 99 percent of will agree on is that Jeff Cox is not good.

Edited by fathom

After a loss, it's VERY easy to second guess every single move.

We are just an average team and always will be this season...let's just get used to it, as it will make the next 90 games easier to deal with.

I guess. I had hoped for better, but w/out last year's CQ in the lineup, it's still pretty weak on most nights even with Pods doing as well as he has. There are enough flaws we do appear a bit below average team. I can't see us going on a sustained run to put us 5-10 games over .500 at any point this year, but I could be mistaken.

Charley Steiner said something interesting in the game the other day.

That in 2 1/2 years watching the Dodgers everyday, they never saw Juan Pierre make one mental mistake OR fail to hustle a single time.

I love Ramirez and defend him as much as anyone but Cubano, and I'm not sold on Beckham playing SS everyday...but hopefully he won't fade in the second half defensively like last season. He just got really worn down in September, maybe we can attribute that to adjusting to the much longer season here in the US, the weather in late summer...his thin frame, something happened.

There's been a lot of speculation about his personal/off-field problems with the lawsuit, and we shouldn't forget that...it had a huge affect on Contreras when he was going through is divorce.

I'm not quite ready to cut the cord on Fields quite yet, because I think he can still factor in there at 3B if Viciedo can't cut it defensively. Trading him will get you almost nothing in return, so there's very little risk in holding onto him and seeing if he can EVENTUALLY figure things out, like the Sox have attempted to do with Brian Anderson.

In the long run, Ramirez/Beckham or Beckham/Ramirez up the middle makes the most possible sense, with Getz/Nix in supporting roles (both give you something different, Nix the defense and power, Getz the speed and LH bat).

Maybe KW envisioned Ramirez being right next to Viciedo on the diamond and being able to mentor him more closely...not sure.

With all that said, we definitely need to end the Anderson/Wise days in CF and either wait on Danks/Mitchell or go out and sign a veteran on a 1-2 year contract, or trade for a Juan Pierre type when Man-Ram returns...although the asking price just went up a bit, they can't play Ramirez, Kemp and Ethier with Pierre, too.

I guess a good problem for the Dodgers to have...they might end up being WORSE with Ramirez than without him in terms in 2009.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)
I guess. I had hoped for better, but w/out last year's CQ in the lineup, it's still pretty weak on most nights even with Pods doing as well as he has. There are enough flaws we do appear a bit below average team. I can't see us going on a sustained run to put us 5-10 games over .500 at any point this year, but I could be mistaken.

If Ordonez can get his act together again and IF they ever had a healthy Carlos Guillen, the Tigers would definitely be a 89-93 win team with the way that starting rotation looks right now.

Inge and Granderson have become offensive cornerstones...and Porcello has jumped right into the fire with seemingly no adverse affects. Imagine the balance of power in the ALCD if the White Sox, Twins or Indians had the moxie and financial wherewithal to go out and get Porcello? Well, Detroit, with all its economic problems, they deserve a renaissance season as much as any team in the country after that disaster (both baseball and unemployment-wise) in 2008. And of course Miggy Cabrera is a hitting machine.

Verlander and Edwin Jackson have been absolutely nasty, and Jackson has done it all season long, I think his ERA is still below 2.50 in the AL, which is pretty incredible (and further testament to the weakness offensively of the ALCD).

I'm just grateful they messed up a bit and don't have Jurrjens. The jury is still out on Maybin and A. Miller, but Miller wasn't as impressive stuff-wise as his hype.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 09:19 PM)
Hopefully we have a version or two of him on the way.

Shelby is looking doubtful, but Danks and Mitchell both have at least 50/50 shots.

Hopefully if you add 50/50 we'll get one All-Star caliber player out of those two athletic specimens...of course, we've had our share of Brian Wests, Joe Borchard's, Jerry Owenses, Jimmy Hurst's, Anthony Webster's, Chris Young's, Brian Anderson's and Kenny Williamses (father and son) in this organization that had tons of natural athletic ability.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 07:21 PM)
I'd say he's average. For a "grinder", he's shown some questionable baseball IQ. Like you said, who knows who's to blame for all the issues the infield seems to have. The one thing 99 percent of will agree on is that Jeff Cox is not good.

I'd say he's above average. He's made some E's recently, but overall, he's made some solid plays. Nix on the other hand is GG worthy if he could hit consistently. Nix has some great reactions at 2B and gets great jumps, and has a very strong arm.

And you're right about Cox, he needs to go. I could handle him as maybe an infielders coach or something, but otherwise, he's got to go.