3.5 games back

Vote4Pedro

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
So the sox are sitting 3.5 games back at the All Star Break.....any second half predictions...it'll be good to see CQ back in the lineup though

I still think we win this thing, not sure why, but I do. Maybe it's because I see us having the best bullpen and I don't think the Tigers are very good. The only issue is we do have a touch schedule in the 2nd half....this is the most concerning thing.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)
I still think we win this thing, not sure why, but I do. Maybe it's because I see us having the best bullpen and I don't think the Tigers are very good. The only issue is we do have a touch schedule in the 2nd half....this is the most concerning thing.

i think we can gain some ground on the tigers as their next 3 series are vs the Yankees, Mariners and us

Minnesotas schedule is at Texas, Oakland, Anaheim, and then they get 3 at home against us...

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
If the Sox lose ground after the homestand and the series at Detroit, KW has got to go into sell mode.

You know he's not going to do that...

This team is good enough to win this division.

I would be very surprised if the worst case senario, in which we don't sell anybody (except maybe a bullpen arm) and also don't win the division, doesn't happen. We're too close for Kenny to sell, and I don't think we're good enough to win the division either. I hope i'm wrong though, because if such events play out, it would be a disaster.

I'm just gonna copy this from another thread....

I've said it before, but the AL Central sucks, and the Sox will never be more than 5 games out all season long. Because of that Kenny's not gonna go into sell mode, but since we're apparently poor, he's not gonna go into buy mode either. CQ is gonna be our big "trade" and KW will stand pat citing how close we are (have been) to 1st all season...

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)
I'm just gonna copy this from another thread....

I've said it before, but the AL Central sucks, and the Sox will never be more than 5 games out all season long. Because of that Kenny's not gonna go into sell mode, but since we're apparently poor, he's not gonna go into buy mode either. CQ is gonna be our big "trade" and KW will stand pat citing how close we are (have been) to 1st all season...

If Kenny was offered something for one of his big leaguers that he considered to be a very good deal (i.e. like the Diamondbacks offered Brandon Allen for that Pena guy in our bullpen or something like that) then I'd hope he wouldn't outright reject it because of us being in the race.

4 games is too much ground to make up with the schedule they have the way I see it. Dye, Jenks, Contreras, and Dotel need to go on the block ASAP while there are maximum teams still in it. And in the case of Contreras at least, while he is pitching well.

I understand we are kind of stuck with him there for the rest of this year, but unless some sort of drastic change occurs, I don't think we can keep Gordon Beckham at 3rd base after 2009. His bat isn't as valuable over there, and his fielding looks awful. I understand he's never played there before this year and is trying to learn at the major league level, but he has very poor reaction times on hard hit balls to him, and I'm not sure if that is something you can teach.

One thing's for certain, they've already defied quite a few of the prognosticators.

I think the Sox move into 1st place in the first week back from the break and never look back. I'm serious - today's sucky loss aside, this team has been playing some really good baseball for a solid month now. This isn't them being "hot", this is who they are.

congrats to you, detroit - you won the first half of the season. go have a parade.

Edited by The Ginger Kid

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
I understand we are kind of stuck with him there for the rest of this year, but unless some sort of drastic change occurs, I don't think we can keep Gordon Beckham at 3rd base after 2009. His bat isn't as valuable over there, and his fielding looks awful. I understand he's never played there before this year and is trying to learn at the major league level, but he has very poor reaction times on hard hit balls to him, and I'm not sure if that is something you can teach.

Couldn't agree more

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)
I would be very surprised if the worst case senario, in which we don't sell anybody (except maybe a bullpen arm) and also don't win the division, doesn't happen. We're too close for Kenny to sell, and I don't think we're good enough to win the division either. I hope i'm wrong though, because if such events play out, it would be a disaster.

I hope we don't give away guys like Flowers and Hudson for Rentals. IMO were not good enough to win the World Series this year, and it's not worth giving up our future to lose in the first round.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)

couldn't disagree more

The key to our second half chances depend on the health of Carlos Quentin. With him, we can compete with Boston and NY, who we face a ton. Without him, those teams will eat us up just like they eat up the other AL Central teams.

I would not be a seller regardless because even without Quentin we will be in the hunt to the end, and everyone mentioned in trade would be pretty important in the postseason.

As for buying, Nate McLouth is still the guy I would have gone for. Take's Quentin's slot, can play CF, and hits well enough to give us a backup in RF if Dye leaves next year. Not sure there is anyone else like him out there.

I'd also be looking for stability in the 5th starters role. We can't afford to pencil in losses there. A .500 pitcher would look really good. Jon Garland? Trouble is, who do you send out if we add a pitcher? Poreda? Clayton? Does Pena have options?

If we can play .500 against the AL East in the second half, we'll win the division. That's my only prediction.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
couldn't disagree more

I would love to know how you disagree with that. A lot of his defensive trouble this year (and this includes several plays that were makeable, not made, and not called errors) has been because he is slow reacting to the baseball.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
We;re going to take this divison by about 2.5 games. Beckham's going to continue to hit himself into ROY contention, Poreda'll pitch well, and KW going to make a ballsy move. Those are my predictions.

Yeah I think you are right. KW is not going to go in sell mode this year because we will not be far enough behind when the July 31st deadline gets here period. If he held onto hope as long as he did in 07' he isnt even close to that bad of shape with this years team.

Dye, Jenks, Contreras, and Dotel need to go on the block ASAP while there are maximum teams still in it. And in the case of Contreras at least, while he is pitching well.

I'd rather trade Jimmy than Dye. I like Jimmy and all he stands for, but I'm sick of the shift and Dye is a total stud.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)
I like our team and its future. However I dont think we can win a division this year with players in key positions going thru on the job training. I am referring to the left side of the IF.

In this division, I think we can win it with some number of people in on the job training (Name a team in the central that doesn't have a good amount of that?).

I'm just not convinced yet that we want to. Not only that we don't want to play like we want to win the central, but I'm not convinced we won't be better long-term by focusing on filling longer-term holes than by going all out for this season.