Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SockMe @ Dec 24, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)
really? Cause I have a great feeling! SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

I just hate Nashville's style of play.

HATE it. So dull, takes away everything beautiful about hockey.

If that team was my first exposure to the sport, I don't think I'd like hockey at all.

Did ya'll hear that Kovalchuk wants a 10 year deal worth $11.3m per? The teams interested are Toronto, Philly, Boston, Calgary, and LA. Jesus, I hope he stays in the East.

The NHL trade rumors have been fixated on Ilya Kovalchuk recently and for the first time, GM Don Waddell admitted that there may be troubles in his negotiations with his star earlier this week. "Our position is different than his position right now," Waddell told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "Their position is fixed years with money and we have a different side of that."

It's rumored he wants a 10-year deal worth $11.3 million a season -- the maximum allowable contract in accordance with the collective bargaining agreemenet -- but Waddell has said he isn't willing to give it. Of course, there are plenty of suitors willing to either "rent" Kovy for the rest of the season, or take on his potentially massive salary in a long-term deal.

According to one rumor, the pricetag for Kovalchuk in trade may have been set by the Flyers over the past week: a package of Jeff Carter, Claude Giroux and Ryan Parent was allegedly offered in exchange for the Thrashers forward.

Of course, the Boston Bruins are also believed to be a highly-interested suitor, owing to the fact that they traded Phil Kessel away this offseason, and are in need of another sniper to take his place. But there could be a snag here, too. According to James Murphy of NESN.com, Blake Wheeler and Tuukka Rask would have to be involved for Atlanta to part with Kovy, and B's GM Peter Chiarelli has essentially made Rask untouchable.

In addition to the Flyers and Bruins, here's an updated list of where Kovalchuk might end up:

Toronto Maple Leafs: They might save up and spend it all in one place.

Los Angeles Kings: There was a lot of buzz about this one, but two sources say this rumor is false.

Calgary Flames: Calgary GM Mike Gillis' denied the rumors, as did other Flames sources in the media, but it's possible they are playing this one close to the vest.

KHL: KHL president Alexander Medvedev might also swoop in with a huge deal. He said he's already talked to Kovalchuk and can offer a better deal than the NHL because of tax laws.

Colorado Avalanche -- Here's why.

espn.com

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 26, 2009 -> 10:32 PM)
I'm reading this thread from page one and I noticed a lot of you didn't want Huet to be the Hawks' goalie this season.

What would you say on his performance so far this season?

He's fantastic. I'm aware that Edmonton is horrible, but Huet's play has been far better than Khabibulin's so far, plus Nik is out for quite sometime.