Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
I dont mind that deal, but Huet is the wildcard here. Who really wants to take him at this point? He'd be a seriously expensive backup for a contender and a money pit for a rebuilding team.

Carey Price is a wildcard too. . . he is bascially in his second full season and his not lived up to the billing. I love the idea of acquiring Price if this team was still developing, but we're on a collision course with the finals right now and I'm not sure if Price is even an upgrade over what we already have.

Price may just need a change of scenery, but I wouldn't want to gamble our Cup aspirations on that.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
Wonder if they'd look to deal Iginla...not likely but damn I would love him on the Hawks. Burke is weaving some magic...Trades Two UFA's and 2 spare parts and steals Phaneuf PLUS Defensive prospect Aulie.

Man.. traded alot of scoring depth that they had though. They are solid on defense (with some youth), but they literally have Phil Kessel and.... noone. Don't worry, they can tank and get a top 3 pick..... whoops... Boston has there pick. Probably the happiest team in the NHL right now.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 07:32 PM)
While I agree that hockey fans could very well be the snobbiest of them all, I think he really does the sport an injustice by simplifying it the way he does.

I agree. I think hockey and soccer are cousins in terms of team strategy, although hockey is much faster moving due to matters of physics—a puck moves faster along the ice than a ball through the air or on the ground, and 200' x 85' is a smaller surface than 110 x 80 yds. Plays and shooting/passing lanes are set up similarly, and offensive attacks and defensive parrys are not identical, but definitely related.

Unlike football and baseball, the skill sets to make a great hockey player are less specialized (a goaltender being the obvious exception). Baseball has infielders, outfielders, leadoff men, DHs, catchers, and pitchers. Football has linemen, backs, and receivers, and special teams—each with a specialized skill set. In hockey, you have to skate well, handle the puck well, and know how to deliver, finish, and survive a check. That's really it, and what differentiates a forward from a defenseman in skill set is slimmer than a lineman and a receiver in football, or a pitcher and an infielder in baseball. That's a big part of what makes it appear the way Morrissey paints it.

Hockey is certainly the underdog of the four major professional sports—the 2004-05 season cancellation did little to help—and as such, there are fewer knowledgeable people about it in both the media and the stands. Outside Minnesota, Michigan, and New England, it is often viewed as a foreign language of team sports.

Granted, I'm a four-hour plane ride from Chicago, but is this really a problem that neophyte Hawk fans aren't welcoming the newcomers and would really rather go back to the last days of Dollar Bill's Lack Hawks and 5,000 paid attendance per game?

Edited by Drew

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)

He just wrote the article to try to give himself some credibility, and possibly to give confidence to the newbies. We all know hockey isn't as simple as he tried to make it. Pretty ignorant.

The problem, though, is that he missed the whole point - why long time fans are upset with the newbies. No one has a problem with the "basketball guy" or "football guy" picking up on hockey/Hawks, trying to learn something about the game. Helps the game grow.

It's the jokers that go to the UC to be seen, because it's the place to be. Getting up in the middle of play, not really caring about the game or attempting to learn something. Hurting the overall atmosphere and other fans' game experiences. Right now, the ratio of jackasses to people who want to learn about the game is quite high.

You know, like the people in section 5 of the Jan 21 Tribune, which might have been the worst piece of media I've ever seen put together.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
He just wrote the article to try to give himself some credibility, and possibly to give confidence to the newbies. We all know hockey isn't as simple as he tried to make it. Pretty ignorant.

The problem, though, is that he missed the whole point - why long time fans are upset with the newbies. No one has a problem with the "basketball guy" or "football guy" picking up on hockey/Hawks, trying to learn something about the game. Helps the game grow.

It's the jokers that go to the UC to be seen, because it's the place to be. Getting up in the middle of play, not really caring about the game or attempting to learn something. Hurting the overall atmosphere and other fans' game experiences. Right now, the ratio of jackasses to people who want to learn about the game is quite high.

You know, like the people in section 5 of the Jan 21 Tribune, which might have been the worst piece of media I've ever seen put together.

Exactly. New fans are fine if they are generally interested in being fans of Hockey and the Hawks. Its the bleacher bums from Wrigley that come over and jack up the prices of our tickets so they can roam the concourse.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
Do we have the cap room for that? Or are we looking to dump someone for a draft pick or something.

Well, we all know the Pens want a winger. The question is, do we want to send said winger to them? Our problem has not been defense and shots against per game.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)
Well, we all know the Pens want a winger. The question is, do we want to send said winger to them? Our problem has not been defense and shots against per game.

Yeah, I am afraid to see the goaltending if the D hadn't been so awesome this year.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
I seen on Stuy's board supposedly its McKee for maybe Steeger...TIFWIW.

Makes sense to be honest. As much as I love Steeger, he could be the odd man out and with Bolland and Burish coming back, theres plenty of filler.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
Makes sense to be honest. As much as I love Steeger, he could be the odd man out and with Bolland and Burish coming back, theres plenty of filler.

Well you have to figure that its either going to be Steeger or Sharp and if its those 2 then it has to be Steeger.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
Well you have to figure that its either going to be Steeger or Sharp and if its those 2 then it has to be Steeger.

I don't see why. Steeger is cheaper and I appreciate his complement of talents a bit more than Sharp.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 2, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
I don't see why. Steeger is cheaper and I appreciate his complement of talents a bit more than Sharp.

I just find it difficult to believe that they would deal Sharpie before seeing him on a line with Bolland and Hossa. You have two dynamic 2 way players and Sharp in his natural position.